Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #76 of 1,636
I will hope this isn't a flash in Audeze's pan, that there will be a full production run if the upcoming customer reviews go well.

I will also hope the LCD-R work well is speaker amps. I have a small speaker amp I use quite happily with headphones which need oomph.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #77 of 1,636
Might be too much gain for these headphones...but you will be very happy with what you hear! I love them wholeheartedly! My review should be out in the next day or so...congratulations man!
Considering these are rather limited, I look forward to your review.

As to the uberamp, Kevin Gilmore tested into a dead short at 20+ amps for the SR1a, so will drive the LCD-R without issue even at 103 dB/1mW.
Adjustments will be made further in any event.

I'm curious to hear Jason Stoddard comment on the Jotunheim R tactic as you can turn compensation off at minimum. It will be interesting to explore what compensation will need to be made with external amplification.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #78 of 1,636
Considering these are rather limited, I look forward to your review.

As to the uberamp, Kevin Gilmore tested into a dead short at 20+ amps for the SR1a, so will drive the LCD-R without issue even at 103 dB/1mW.
Adjustments will be made further in any event.

I'm curious to hear Jason Stoddard comment on the Jotunheim R tactic as you can turn compensation off at minimum. It will be interesting to explore what compensation will need to be made with external amplification.
Just like the Jot-R being a great amp, the Jot-A is right there with these ribbon drivers. I'm sure you're amp will be fine, just that you might have too much gain?

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #82 of 1,636
I'm curious if there's a tuning/filter/compensation/whatever difference between the Jot-R and the Jot-A.

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #83 of 1,636
This seems like a shoo-in for another production run, perhaps with a simpler chassis for the headphone.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #84 of 1,636
Wow, where have I seen this movie before? :wink:

I've been on Headfi for 11 years and as usual the latest expensive thing gets praised to the skies, what a surprise.

I've owned multiple Audezes and I hope this new technology is a step up but I'll wait for some independent measurements to see what the FR looks like compared to the rest of the line-up.

Smooth+ detailed means precisely nothing. No manufacturer is going to describe their headphone as rough + not detailed.

Aesthetics with the new rings look special and credit to Audeze for slowly but steadily refining their drivers and build quality.

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #88 of 1,636
I see a few more batches being made… No way a headphone this good can stay at 67 units. Currawong made direct comparisons to a Susvara. Thats definitely a successful attempt at engineering / designing a headphone if you ask me. The LCD-R most likely has a more natural fr than the LCD4 as well.

The only worry would be the holding back of the technology (lcd-r) for the sake of not cannibalizing the rest of their headphone line up. Kinda like how Porsche for years dumbed down the Cayman for the sake of sales of their precious 911.

Same Schiit different toilet!?!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #89 of 1,636
Currawong made direct comparisons to a Susvara.

You do realize that in a million years they wouldn't release a video with a negative take on a sponsor's product right?

There will be favourable comparisons to much higher priced headphones, that's what builds the hype.

I've had a home demo with the Susvara and it is an excellent headphone but it is placed on a pedestal due to it's price. It was about as good as the 2021 LCD-X to my ears and slightly inferior to the Utopia and the SR009S both of which I've owned.

There is no rule that $6500 headphone > $4000 headphone > $2000 headphone although every marketing department wants you to believe that.

Think of it this way, this is just my guess. If people knew that the Susvara cost $100 to make (advantages of Chinese manufacturing and Hifiman quality of materials) while the Utopia and the LCD-X cost $400 to make would they still rate the Susvara as The Greatest Headphone? Would be an interesting experiment.

No way a headphone this good can stay at 67 units.

You're taking as Gospel the word of somebody who cannot say anything bad about sponsor's premium products. I have nothing against the guy, I like his reviews but he literally will not make a video saying "This Audeze headphone has wonky tuning and a big hole in the upper mids, buyer beware"

I sincerely hope this is as good as the Susvara, Utopia, LCD-4 etc because it would be a refreshing to have a performance increase with a lower price rather than another $4k to $6k headphone.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #90 of 1,636
Currawong made direct comparisons to a Susvara.

You do realize that in a million years they wouldn't release a video with a negative take on a sponsor's product right?

There will be favourable comparisons to much higher priced headphones, that's what builds the hype.

I've had a home demo with the Susvara and it is an excellent headphone but it is placed on a pedestal due to it's price. It was about as good as the 2021 LCD-X to my ears and slightly inferior to the Utopia and the SR009S both of which I've owned.

There is no rule that $6500 headphone > $4000 headphone > $2000 headphone although every marketing department wants you to believe that.

Think of it this way, this is just my guess. If people knew that the Susvara cost $100 to make (advantages of Chinese manufacturing and Hifiman quality of materials) while the Utopia and the LCD-X cost $400 to make would they still rate the Susvara as The Greatest Headphone? Would be an interesting experiment.

No way a headphone this good can stay at 67 units.

You're taking as Gospel the word of somebody who cannot say anything bad about sponsor's premium products. I have nothing against the guy, I like his reviews but he literally will not make a video saying "This Audeze headphone has wonky tuning and a big hole in the upper mids, buyer beware"

I sincerely hope this is as good as the Susvara, Utopia, LCD-4 etc because it would be a refreshing to have a performance increase with a lower price rather than another $4k to $6k headphone.
I trust Currawong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back