Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 1,636
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #20 of 1,636
So these are $2500 range for both seems to cheap

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 1,636
Sigh.

Ok. I put an order in.

I'll be driving these with my uberamp for RAAL. Maybe get the set to Kevin Gilmore as well if he hasn't already procured something.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #25 of 1,636
I am on my 6th set of Audeze headphones and I have not had a single issue with any of them.
Thanks for sharing. I've also had nothing but great experiences.

So these are $2500 range for both seems to cheap
I assume the modded Jotenheim would be $500-600 MSRP, making the headphones ~$2,000. Seems plausible given it's in between the RAAL and Gold Planar, both with similar technologies.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #27 of 1,636
Nice to see Audeze testing out the waters with different driver tech. These cans look stunning.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 1,636
"S-M-O-O-T-H, but very detailed. Yes, there is something a little different, a little special"

These all sound great but also not very helpful practically. Would you be able to relate the listening experience relative to other Audeze headphones so we have a better idea of what it will be like before anyone goes ahead and commits the amount?

Also, were the headphones designed with the amp in mind or other way round? Basically, would you be able to provide more context on how this project came about, since the LCD-24 has atleast a logical story behind its development?
What you can expect is a tonality similar to current LCD-X but a more lively and fast presentation with a better bass texture.

This is a direct result of the diaphragm acting like a ribbon transducer with a single very low impedance trace covering nearly the entire diaphragm. An ideal transducer would have zero impedance and driven by a constant current source, this will maximize the current and hence the force on the transducer; this force acting uniformly across the entire transducer allows the transducer to accelerate faster. With the high current and uniform force over the entire surface, there is much better control which in turn results in the characteristic fast and lively presentation of a ribbon transducer.

Edit: Because this is a Circumaural design (and not a open baffle design), you also get the full bass (to my ears, even better than LCD-X) with a soundstage about the same as LCD-X.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #29 of 1,636
We refer to the LCD-R as a Ribbon instead of Planar due to the very low impedance voice coil and the trace covers over 98% of the surface. They use just one trace with parallel sub-traces to equalize the driving force across the entire diaphragm. The sound profile that results is ultra smooth with low distortion and high detail retrieval.
That description of the drivers doesn't sound like it's a ribbon vs RAAL. Maybe somebody can elaborate more?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back