Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Aug 31, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #2,687 of 3,158
Aug 31, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #2,688 of 3,158
If you have any spiral dots, give them a try, they allow for a deeper insertion and give a better seal, it really balances out the sound as I have experienced it. .
I usually have to use Medium Large tips, and Medium was perfect for me with the CL2.

I'll try to increase volume when I get home and will report back..
try this in loud(er)

when the guitars start ... ( i know its only youtube , but i also have the album in flac )

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,689 of 3,158
try this in loud(er)

when the guitars start ... ( i know its only youtube , but i also have the album in flac )

For me The guitars are not harsh, they actually sound great, even at 15 % extra volume (low gain), but when the girl starts singing over the guitars, it all falls apart. I switched to stock tips, just to try out the difference, and the low end gets attenuated, and it all sounds very obviously worse.

Switching to my desktop DAC, it's much much better, A lot better separation, and vocals no longer sound shouty. I think the source and tips are in play here.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #2,690 of 3,158
I made the observation quite a few posts back that when I took my CL2 on the plane, they didn’t perform well and I was hearing the painful treble.

It was only when I checked the volume that I found it was cranked up 25% more than usual.

I believe that those who complain about a harsh treble are listening at higher volume levels than normal in order to get greater bass quantity. This is because most people are conditioned to the V or U shaped tunings which emphasises the bass.

The CL2 is tuned to be flat. So in order to hear more bass, users crank up the volume (like I did on the plane) and then complain of overly harsh treble because it is, in fact, too loud.

I would add that the quality of planar bass (less distortion) also encourages you to crank up the volume so the CL2 makes you want to listen louder almost by design.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #2,691 of 3,158
For me The guitars are not harsh, they actually sound great, even at 15 % extra volume (low gain), but when the girl starts singing over the guitars, it all falls apart. I switched to stock tips, just to try out the difference, and the low end gets attenuated, and it all sounds very obviously worse.

Switching to my desktop DAC, it's much much better, A lot better separation, and vocals no longer sound shouty. I think the source and tips are in play here.

Thanks for testing. I do further tip rolling this evening to check.

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #2,692 of 3,158
I made the observation quite a few posts back that when I took my CL2 on the plane, they didn’t perform well and I was hearing the painful treble.

It was only when I checked the volume that I found it was cranked up 25% more than usual.

I believe that those who complain about a harsh treble are listening at higher volume levels than normal in order to get greater bass quantity. This is because most people are conditioned to the V or U shaped tunings which emphasises the bass.

The CL2 is tuned to be flat. So in order to hear more bass, users crank up the volume (like I did on the plane) and then complain of overly harsh treble because it is, in fact, too loud.

I would add that the quality of planar bass (less distortion) also encourages you to crank up the volume so the CL2 makes you want to listen louder almost by design.
No .. the bass is just fine with These . Even on lower volumes. I just like some songs louder :D

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #2,693 of 3,158
soo .. i just tried more tips, ended up with medium size final type e , with deep fit. helped a bit but i find them to sound way more beautiful and even with EQ setting 2,4k-4,2k -2DB
espacally for female fronted metal :D

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2,695 of 3,158
I tried these at Canjam London at the RHA stand. They were plugged into a Dragonfly Red which in turn went into an iPad running Tidal Hi-Fi. I thought the clarity was really good as I listened to Metallica’s ‘Nothing Else Matters’, but I also found them a touch heavy in the treble. Not sure if this was the IEMs or the DF Red. I never touched the volume on these.

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #2,696 of 3,158
After spending a decent amount of time with the RHA CL2, I just have to say they are incredible.
With a decent player, and good files, these things are very impressive.
Just got a pair TinHiFi P1 a few days ago, and they are not even remotely on the same level. The CL2 has better bass, Mids, Treble, stage is quite a bit wider and deeper( CL2 stage is 3D), timbre and tonality on the CL2 is just on another level. It's not a fair competition, and it shouldn't be especially when comparing price.
Hi @HairOhWin Blast, how the CL2 perform with prog rock and classic rock if that is your thing?
TIA, Jose

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #2,698 of 3,158
Hi @HairOhWin Blast, how the CL2 perform with prog rock and classic rock if that is your thing?
TIA, Jose
With Classic and Progressive Rock, they are amazing. They sound like speakers, and you can hear pretty much everything on a 3D sound-stage.
Separation and imaging are outstanding.
I would recommend these , thumbs up :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #2,699 of 3,158
soo .. i just tried more tips, ended up with medium size final type e , with deep fit. helped a bit but i find them to sound way more beautiful and even with EQ setting 2,4k-4,2k -2DB
espacally for female fronted metal :D
These need tips similar to Spiral-dots to sound their best, the wide opening has a big impact on sound-stage.
Just my 2 cents, when I switch tips, that is the first thing I notice, outside of a better seal/bass impact and isolation.
Glad you are enjoying them.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,700 of 3,158
These need tips similar to Spiral-dots to sound their best, the wide opening has a big impact on sound-stage.
Just my 2 cents, when I switch tips, that is the first thing I notice, outside of a better seal/bass impact and isolation.
Glad you are enjoying them.
Just checked out spin fits , only have L size here , its harder to get a deep fit but worked , and sounds indeed very good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back