Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Apr 16, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,356 of 3,158
Hi Guys, comparing this to AKG N5005....is CL2 better?

Yep.

I owned the N5005 but sold them after owning both for a couple of months. The N5005 are an excellent earphone but there is something quite special about the CL2 that the N5005 just couldn't quite match. What the N5005 does give you is excellent bass that is detailed and has a good kick (if you like that kind of thing) but it's not as refined as the CL2's bass response. The level of detail however in the mids and highs on the CL2 surpasses the N5005.

There isn't much between them but the CL2 are just more engaging once they are burned in.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #2,357 of 3,158
Yep.

I owned the N5005 but sold them after owning both for a couple of months. The N5005 are an excellent earphone but there is something quite special about the CL2 that the N5005 just couldn't quite match. What the N5005 does give you is excellent bass that is detailed and has a good kick (if you like that kind of thing) but it's not as refined as the CL2's bass response. The level of detail however in the mids and highs on the CL2 surpasses the N5005.

There isn't much between them but the CL2 are just more engaging once they are burned in.
Wow..alright..1 more question..did you try to use the bluetooth module for watching movie on Netflix and if there is any lag?

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #2,358 of 3,158
I used the Bluetooth modules on both earphones with no lag from Netflix etc on smartphone

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,359 of 3,158
New source for me with the CL2.

Started using the Hiby R6 Pro today.

So far seems as good as much if not better than the WM1a for me.

Not quite as laid back but a bit more drive to the sound, gorgeous detail.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #2,360 of 3,158
New source for me with the CL2.

Started using the Hiby R6 Pro today.

So far seems as good as much if not better than the WM1a for me.

Not quite as laid back but a bit more drive to the sound, gorgeous detail.

Do you use the 4.4 port?
Sounds great but at decent volume the battery drains remarkably fast.
I just keep a charger hooked to mine.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #2,361 of 3,158
Do you use the 4.4 port?
Sounds great but at decent volume the battery drains remarkably fast.
I just keep a charger hooked to mine.

Yep using the 4.4 port.

Battery seems ok, not on a par with the WM1a but not too bad. I keep the screen at 30% to try and help a bit.

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #2,362 of 3,158
What's the volume difference between the single ended and balanced outputs on the EarStudio for the CL2? Does it get loud enough over the single ended output? I'd like to leave a 3.5mm cable with microphone attached to it to rather than a balanced cable.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #2,363 of 3,158
What's the volume difference between the single ended and balanced outputs on the EarStudio for the CL2? Does it get loud enough over the single ended output? I'd like to leave a 3.5mm cable with microphone attached to it to rather than a balanced cable.
The CL2 is probably one of the most transparent iems out there, and is very sensitive to Source and Cables.
If you are looking to run an iem out of the ES100, I would just go with a Balanced Armature iem. They are much easier to drive. The CL2 needs a good DAP, and a good quality after market cable to get the best out of it. It loves power, the more the better.
Out of the ES100 the difference between balanced and unbalanced outs will not be volume, but the dynamic range.
Add: If you are looking to use these for the gym, you might actually be better off just using the Bluetooth cable they already come with, they sound better than any other bluetooth iem I have tried on the market so far.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #2,364 of 3,158
The CL2 needs a good DAP, and a good quality after market cable to get the best out of it. It loves power, the more the better.
Out of the ES100 the difference between balanced and unbalanced outs will not be volume, but the dynamic range.
I don't believe in cables and DAPs.
In balanced mode the ES100 provides double the voltage and thus double the volume.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #2,365 of 3,158
I don't believe in cables and DAPs.
In balanced mode the ES100 provides double the voltage and thus double the volume.
If you end up buying the CL2 , you will believe very very very quickly.
These are not BA iems.
It's different tech.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #2,366 of 3,158
John Mayall "Nobody Told me" album High Res is an absolute must listen on the CL2.
A master at work.

Add: Cecile Salvant "Dreams and Daggers" album 24/96 amazing.
What a great voice.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #2,367 of 3,158
@McCol if you get a chance, could you do a more detailed comparison between the R6 PRO, and the WM1A, when it comes to the CL2.
Would appreciate it very much :)
How much of a difference in battery life?
I am not concerned with streaming at all.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,368 of 3,158
@McCol if you get a chance, could you do a more detailed comparison between the R6 PRO, and the WM1A, when it comes to the CL2.
No problem, I'll do it over next couple of days

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2,369 of 3,158
@McCol if you get a chance, could you do a more detailed comparison betkk

Had a better chance to listen at length to the R6 Pro, an only compare from memory and some notes I made about the Sony Wm1a.

First off, the battery life is reasonable but not as good as the Sony, not run the battery fully down but Ican tell the Sony probably has a battery life that is around 25% better maybe more. Not an issue for me but might be for some.
Software wise I prefer the Android experience of the Hiby, I'm familiar with it and gives me access to Tidal and various other apps should I want to use them. The software is snappy and doesn't lag when in use.
Build quality is very good, not as polished in it's overall quality as the Sony but feels heavy and is a nice slab of audio goodness!

Now onto the important bit - sound quality.

Compared to the Sony the Hiby is more aggressive in approach to the music, it has a snappiness to the music that the Sony doesn't have, however this won't be to everyone's liking. The Sony is more laid back and relaxed in it's presentation.
The bass response on the Hiby is outstanding especially with the CL2 there is a real depth to the sub-bass rumble that wasn't there with the Sony. The bass is also very well defined, on a par with the Sony in that respect.
Mids to my ears are very similar, lush midrange that competes with the sony, smooth, detailed and very non-fatiguing.

The highs are where the difference really lies for me between the two, it's where the Hiby's more aggressive approach becomes more evident. There is a pace and energy to the highs that the Sony doesn't have, snare drums are snappy when required and cymbals have a more detailed crash to them than on the Sony. Some will not like this, they might prefer the almost warm presentation of the Sony's highs when compared to the R6 Pro but for me the Hiby adds a level of excitement to the music I'm listening too.

The Hiby R6 Pro to me is a very musical player as is the Sony, main difference between them is that the Sony has a more laid back style to the music whereas the Hiby has a more direct approach that kind of slaps you around a little until you become accustomed to it!

Apr 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #2,370 of 3,158
@szore I was wondering if you had a chance to work up some sound impressions and pictures for your Soundmold's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back