Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2,341 of 3,158
Thanks. I just looked at their site, but it does not mention anything about how they match the molds to individual IEMs. With Snugs, they scan the IEMs and incorporate the shape into their molds.

I will send them a note to see what they say.
They do the exact same thing. My custom tips for my Xelentos were delivered today.

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #2,342 of 3,158
They do the exact same thing. My custom tips for my Xelentos were delivered today.

Nice. How do they fit? Could you post pictures?

How did you find the impression process? I have done my own impressions before from DIY kits so it will be interesting to see how similar the process is.

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #2,343 of 3,158
Nice. How do they fit? Could you post pictures?

How did you find the impression process? I have done my own impressions before from DIY kits so it will be interesting to see how similar the process is.
The impression process was easy, I still have the second kit unused. They are b eing delivered tonight, I'll post pics and sound impressions over the weekend... I may start a soundmolds thread....

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2,344 of 3,158
I just hooked up my new Plussound silver cable. I'm not exactly sure what it is, it looks like silver coated copper. 4 wire, balanced, very nice looking. Immediately the sub bass hit me, gently expanded and sounding great. The bass has better depth and layering, mids are detailed and clear the highs sound great and the sound stage seems improved. Very 'holographic' sounding, clean and also very musical. Very nice!
IMG_20190412_193336.jpg

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #2,345 of 3,158
I just hooked up my new Plussound silver cable. I'm not exactly sure what it is, it looks like silver coated copper. 4 wire, balanced, very nice looking. Immediately the sub bass hit me, gently expanded and sounding great. The bass has better depth and layering, mids are detailed and clear the highs sound great and the sound stage seems improved. Very 'holographic' sounding, clean and also very musical. Very nice!
How much was the cable?

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #2,346 of 3,158
How much was the cable?
It's complicated... When I bought the cl2 it had an option of 2 cables, this and a 8-wire copper Whiplash. I got the whiplash because the Plussound terminates in 4.4mm, i need 2.5. After I bought the CL2 and the copper, I realized that the initial deal with the two cables I only saved $50 by not getting it, i should have gotten it and then an adapter. I mentioned that to him. Then my cover on my cl2 popped off, and I contacted him and rha, so rha was going to take them back, then this guy I bought them from was going to refund them, then, also, initially he sent it to the wrong address, so after all this he said, 'i'll give you the other cable'. I said it was generous, but offered him $30, which he accepted. So I paid $30 for it, but I think its worth $200+ I just hit the cover with a little krazy glue and it closed right up, it seems fine now, but they have a 3 year warranty, which is generous. They are only 6 months old and i have the receipt.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,347 of 3,158
It's complicated... When I bought the cl2 it had an option of 2 cables, this and a 8-wire copper Whiplash. I got the whiplash because the Plussound terminates in 4.4mm, i need 2.5. After I bought the CL2 and the copper, I realized that the initial deal with the two cables I only saved $50 by not getting it, i should have gotten it and then an adapter. I mentioned that to him. Then my cover on my cl2 popped off, and I contacted him and rha, so rha was going to take them back, then this guy I bought them from was going to refund them, then, also, initially he sent it to the wrong address, so after all this he said, 'i'll give you the other cable'. I said it was generous, but offered him $30, which he accepted. So I paid $30 for it, but I think its worth $200+ I just hit the cover with a little krazy glue and it closed right up, it seems fine now, but they have a 3 year warranty, which is generous. They are only 6 months old and i have the receipt.
I'm sorry I asked...lol

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,348 of 3,158
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #2,349 of 3,158
Absolutely crazy how much this iem changes based on cables.
My new cable has this sounding like a CL2+++ Sounds likes a full blown speaker system.
People that don't believe in cables making a difference aught to give this baby a little run.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #2,350 of 3,158
As I mentioned previously I have been trying out my new ISN HI-FI 16-core and Ourart 8-core SPC cables on my portable and desktop DAC/amps and am very impressed at the improvements all around they give over the OEM. Especially when using the ISN on my desktop amp.

I paid $119 for the 2 cables at Penon Audio's website.

I figured I would add a picture for comparison (Ourart flat braid 8-core, ISN HI-FI round braid 16-core, RHA OEM):

RHA_CL2_Cables.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #2,351 of 3,158

FYI, it's ok to source me: I'm perfectly fine accepting credit and detriment where deserved. I was horrified - HORRIFIED! - that the cover popped off (as in, I had to take at least half an hour to compose myself back to normal; I mean, how would I feel if that happened to me? @szore was a true gentleman about this!). I'm also a bit impressed that krazy glue fixed it, too. Regarding the cables, in all honesty, I preferred the Whiplash cable over the Plussound on the CL2, using the ZX300 as a source. But that's the beauty of people having different tastes.

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2,353 of 3,158
Going back to universal fit IEMs after almost 3 years with custom fit has been an interesting experience. Given the extra large size of my ear canals tip rolling is an interesting proposition.

The Spinfit CP 240's I have been using do give me a good seal, but the comfort factor leaves a bit to be desired, especially for long listening periods.

Aside from attempting a complete DIY re-shell to custom, the only option I have found is a custom IEM sleeve made by Snugs. It looks to me that it could be the ultimate in tip rolling for seal and comfort.

However, they are in the UK, and while many RHA IEMs are on their compatibility list, the CL2 is not listed. It is cost prohibitive for me to send my CL2's from the US for them to scan.

@RHA Team do you think it would be worth it for you to work with Snugs to send them a set of CL2's so they can be added to the list? Hopefully enough folks in this thread would find it worthwhile.

I have heard back from Snugs and Soundmolds (Jerald) and got the following:

- Snugs confirmed they do not have the CL2 on file, and apparently they are not scanning new units at this time. They asked if the CL1 they have on file is the same shape/size as the CL2. @RHA Team is there any appreciable difference between the CL1 and CL2 body design that would keep a sleeve designed for the CL1 from working on the CL2?

- Soundmolds do not have the CL2 on file, but they are able to scan them if I (or someone else) sends them in. If the CL1 works based on above, I can ask them if they have the CL1 on file.

Apr 15, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #2,354 of 3,158
FYI, it's ok to source me: I'm perfectly fine accepting credit and detriment where deserved. I was horrified - HORRIFIED! - that the cover popped off (as in, I had to take at least half an hour to compose myself back to normal; I mean, how would I feel if that happened to me? @szore was a true gentleman about this!). I'm also a bit impressed that krazy glue fixed it, too. Regarding the cables, in all honesty, I preferred the Whiplash cable over the Plussound on the CL2, using the ZX300 as a source. But that's the beauty of people having different tastes.
It's all good, my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back