Interesting Headphones for a Flat-Earth PRAT
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

deltaunit

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm thinking about buying some headphones and am probably looking to the second-hand market for something interesting that would match my 'vintage' flat earth system i.e. naim/rega/linn/epos with an emphasis prat style sound.

I've been reading lots but am getting confused with all the conflicting reviews and notes about certain brands - I've seen AKG and Beyer recommended as being ideal but also completely discounted as being totally unsuitable and so I hope I can ask some of you headfiers for some much needed help. 

The only requirements are that they be at least 120 ohm or above (preferably around 300 ohm) to suit a range of amps, but not too high either as 600ohm might exclude some SS amps (e.g. a Naim Headline) as a future amp choice. I've been given a Bottlehead Crack as a gift and so am planning on using that for now. 

Music is mainly modern composition / electro-acoustic (richard skelton, jacaszek, hildur gudnadottir etc), experimental (elaine radigue, ellen fullman) and singer songwriter stuff (nina nastasia, tara j o'neil), but am looking for an emphasis on dynamics, speed and clarity rather than sound-staging; a fast articulate bass rather than low end grunt etc. 

I'd really like to continue with bang for buck vintage gear and 2nd hand with an 'interesting' factor is what I think I'm looking for. 

I've been reading about AKG K 500 / 400 which seem interesting at the lower impedance end, are they the right type of thing I should be looking for? AKG 240 DF / M / Sextet sound ideal but for the very high impedance which would be a struggle for some amps... 

Help 
triportsad.gif

Any suggestions?

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Just as a suggestion, I ended up with Audio Technica cans for my Naim rig as they were highly recommended to me. Unfortunately, I just never took a strong liking to them as they felt too closed in.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 10
If you don't have an obsession with silky smooth and lush mids, try a Beyer (the DT880/250 should work out well). They're very fast, detailed, have tight bass, and are quite neutral besides a slight recession of the mids.

The AKG K501 is an option but it's a little slower in the treble and not quite as detailed as Beyers or the K701. Also, even though it's a low impedance headphone, it requires a deceptive amount of power, much more than the K701 or even the K601 does.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Just as a suggestion, I ended up with Audio Technica cans for my Naim rig as they were highly recommended to me. Unfortunately, I just never took a strong liking to them as they felt too closed in.

O_o

Which Audio Technica's did you buy? Any of the AD series have a great soundstage.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Hello

I'm thinking about buying some headphones and am probably looking to the second-hand market for something interesting that would match my 'vintage' flat earth system i.e. naim/rega/linn/epos with an emphasis prat style sound.

I've been reading lots but am getting confused with all the conflicting reviews and notes about certain brands - I've seen AKG and Beyer recommended as being ideal but also completely discounted as being totally unsuitable and so I hope I can ask some of you headfiers for some much needed help. 

The only requirements are that they be at least 120 ohm or above (preferably around 300 ohm) to suit a range of amps, but not too high either as 600ohm might exclude some SS amps (e.g. a Naim Headline) as a future amp choice. I've been given a Bottlehead Crack as a gift and so am planning on using that for now. 

Music is mainly modern composition / electro-acoustic (richard skelton, jacaszek, hildur gudnadottir etc), experimental (elaine radigue, ellen fullman) and singer songwriter stuff (nina nastasia, tara j o'neil), but am looking for an emphasis on dynamics, speed and clarity rather than sound-staging; a fast articulate bass rather than low end grunt etc. 

I'd really like to continue with bang for buck vintage gear and 2nd hand with an 'interesting' factor is what I think I'm looking for. 

I've been reading about AKG K 500 / 400 which seem interesting at the lower impedance end, are they the right type of thing I should be looking for? AKG 240 DF / M / Sextet sound ideal but for the very high impedance which would be a struggle for some amps... 

Help 
triportsad.gif

Any suggestions?

is that your kit in your avatar?  i still have a pair of cherry Intro2 speakers and a worn out cd puck for decoration, but sold off all my other olive and 5-series gears, including the Headline2.

PRaT in the flat-earther sense is largely misunderstood here at HF.  i think AKG, Beyer, or Grado would be up your alley.  i wouldn't worry too much about impedance, but rather sensitivity.

while i've not heard the Crack, it has received a lot of high praise from seasoned HFiers.  i think a quality tube amp has a lot in common with the Naim sound.

since you're looking for vintage gears, i think the K400/500/501 would be a good place to start, but i'll throw out some new production recommendations anyway. 

Grado fans love tubes and my Bijou tube amp partners very well with the K702 and DT990/600 ohm as well.  i would recommend changing out the stock K702 pads buy a new set of K601 pads.  the K601 pads will help flesh out the tone and give you a very similar fish-bowel soundstage/presentation that is a sonic signature of Naim loudspeakers.  the stock pads are little more distant and thinner sounding.     

the DT990 have a bit more bass, but it's very controlled.  the DT880 would be another option.  some here believe the 600ohm versions sound better.  while the high impedance requires more voltage swing, the Beyers have a higher sensitivity at 96dB and won't demand as much as a K240DF at 600ohms/88dB.  you can also check out some of the older DT880 and DT990 species as well.

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
O_o

Which Audio Technica's did you buy? Any of the AD series have a great soundstage.

I bought the ATH-W1000s. They just didn't image well with my gear which consisted or all Naim Series 5 components. To be honest, I have never really found closed type phones to my liking at all.

I'm not sure what NAIM is, but the Ad900 have a great soundstage. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 10
Get a Grado and have a cable jockey mod a 100-150ohm resistor into the cable. Also mod the heck out of that puppy. Wood, driver venting, the whole shebang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back