IMR - R1 Thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #3,106 of 3,190
I just bought a secondhand IMR R1 (non-zenith) and as I was experimenting with the filters, I noticed I'm not hearing any sound signature change with the other filters then I found out some of the filters have no "filters". Only the the orange and pink has. I can't contact the person I bought this from, so, since I'm using the blue filter, is it normal that it doesn't have anything on the filter, mesh or foam? So which filter normally doesn't have any "filter"if any? The blue, black and copper doesn't have any kind of filter. Obviously, the copper was tampered with. Also, is it normal that the pink has a foam only and no mesh? Again, bought it used and the seller didn't disclose the damage to me.
Filters work thanks to holes of different diameters; if you look on the side of each of them you will notice these holes (the tighter, the bassier).

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #3,107 of 3,190
Filters work thanks to holes of different diameters; if you look on the side of each of them you will notice these holes (the tighter, the bassier).

You mean it's normal for the blue, copper and black filters to have nothing stuffed in them except the metal mesh? I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong parts but I can't notice any difference in diameter between the blue and copper filters.

Also, can someone upload a picture of their blue, copper and black filters? Just to put my mind at ease if I were duped or not. Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #3,108 of 3,190
You mean it's normal for the blue, copper and black filters to have nothing stuffed in them except the metal mesh? I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong parts but I can't notice any difference in diameter between the blue and copper filters.

That’s what he meant. The whole piece is the filter not just the foam part inside some of them. The diameter of each filter is the same. What he’s talking about are the tiny ports drilled into the side of some of the filters that change the airflow. You’ll find that hole closer to the thread end of the filter. We’re talking pinhead sized holes here. One per filter. Slowly rotate the blue or copper filter under good light and you’ll spot it.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3,109 of 3,190
That’s what he meant. The whole piece is the filter not just the foam part inside some of them. The diameter of each filter is the same. What he’s talking about are the tiny ports drilled into the side of some of the filters that change the airflow. You’ll find that hole closer to the thread end of the filter. We’re talking pinhead sized holes here. One per filter. Slowly rotate the blue or copper filter under good light and you’ll spot it.

Saw it. Again, just bought my R1 used so I'm not sure what I'm talking about. But to ease my mind and settle this, the blue, orange and black filters should have nothing in them?
Screenshot_20191129-092435.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #3,110 of 3,190
Yeah, some of the filters do not have any foam in them. We’re in the middle of a house renovation and I’m not sure where my box of headphones is right now. If I find it tomorrow I’ll take the same pic. Hopefully someone else will do it before then to ease your mind. Bottom line thought, most people hear a change in sound between filters, e.g. most hear, even feel, the bass boom moving from blue to copper.

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #3,111 of 3,190
Saw it. Again, just bought my R1 used so I'm not sure what I'm talking about. But to ease my mind and settle this, the blue, orange and black filters should have nothing in them?
Alright, so I just checked the filters of my R1 Zenith, and the Black and Blue filters have no foam inside. Only the Orange, Purple and the Copper filters have foam inside.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #3,113 of 3,190
Alright, so I just checked the filters of my R1 Zenith, and the Black and Blue filters have no foam inside. Only the Orange, Purple and the Copper filters have foam inside.

Ahh, the Copper should have black foam!

All right. Thank you for the response. I confused the copper with orange but the still, the orange should have a mesh.

Okay, so no foam or mesh for blue and black, but the orange one should have. I think I can take that since I'm gonna be using the blue, pink and black anyway. Thank you for clearing it up!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #3,114 of 3,190
I know you had gotten an answer but here is the pic of the R1 filters. The last three have a pinhole on the sides and for me eliminates driver flex. If your interested you can remove the foam from the pink and place it inside the copper if you really want to experience physical head rattling bass. It is the one thing I miss from the original compared to the Zenith that chest thump slam, especially if I'm in the mood where I don't care about fine details.

tmp-cam-1171182168.jpg

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #3,116 of 3,190
I know you had gotten an answer but here is the pic of the R1 filters. The last three have a pinhole on the sides and for me eliminates driver flex. If your interested you can remove the foam from the pink and place it inside the copper if you really want to experience physical head rattling bass. It is the one thing I miss from the original compared to the Zenith that chest thump slam, especially if I'm in the mood where I don't care about fine details.

Thank you! This is the nail in the coffin. The foam in my orange filter is missing, so just one tampered filter, not as bad as I thought. I really appreciate this @Psylent . I can now continue to enjoy the R1!

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #3,117 of 3,190
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #3,118 of 3,190
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,120 of 3,190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back