IMR - R1 Thread
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #3,091 of 3,190
Actually, i was considering them before i bought R1Z. Looking at reviews it was really attractive.

For some reason i am curious to try out DD/BA hybrid or well tuned multiple BA thats why i was looking at se846.
And now i have my eyes on some chi-fi stuff.
Anyone owning Toneking Shockwave III to compare to R1Z? A bit worried about fit on those Shockwaves, due to their size and keg shape.
I had the TK Shockwaves and actually loved them. They fit really well, never touching my ear, like they were suspended by the tips and cables. Soundwise, they had beautiful bass and with Comply or Dekoni Foams incredible non sibilant treble. I wrote some impressions about them on the Shockwave thread. They more than any other IEM i've had really requite a good seal, but once you have tip rolled them for yourself, they are incredible. When I was made an offer for them, I really deliberated and waffled over whether I was willing to part with them. Alas, I sold them and used the proceeds to get the Cupids. I've also had the R1 Zeniths and to be honest, the IMHO having owned them both, the Shockwaves take the Zeniths by a country mile. The Zeniths Bass I think is little wider and smoother, but the mids and highs on the Shockwaves were spectacular. If I had to choose between them, I'd keep the the Shockwaves and in fact flirt with getting another set. I probably won't. I'm spending alot of time lately with the Xelentos and the Tin P1s (both sit flush in my ears making them ideal for the many long flights I take) and I've got the RAHs coming. If you're tossed up between the R1z and the TK SWIII I highly recommend the latter.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #3,092 of 3,190
I had the TK Shockwaves and actually loved them. They fit really well, never touching my ear, like they were suspended by the tips and cables. Soundwise, they had beautiful bass and with Comply or Dekoni Foams incredible non sibilant treble. I wrote some impressions about them on the Shockwave thread. They more than any other IEM i've had really requite a good seal, but once you have tip rolled them for yourself, they are incredible. When I was made an offer for them, I really deliberated and waffled over whether I was willing to part with them. Alas, I sold them and used the proceeds to get the Cupids. I've also had the R1 Zeniths and to be honest, the IMHO having owned them both, the Shockwaves take the Zeniths by a country mile. The Zeniths Bass I think is little wider and smoother, but the mids and highs on the Shockwaves were spectacular. If I had to choose between them, I'd keep the the Shockwaves and in fact flirt with getting another set. I probably won't. I'm spending alot of time lately with the Xelentos and the Tin P1s (both sit flush in my ears making them ideal for the many long flights I take) and I've got the RAHs coming. If you're tossed up between the R1z and the TK SWIII I highly recommend the latter.
Thanks for input. Exactly what i was looking for.

Not to make wrong impression about R1 Zeniths here, they are amazing + IMR customer service is excellent. However i am looking for more of a step up from Zeniths. Most likely will sell them once i get my Rah is delivered. But i would really like to have something like shockwave or se846 to rotate between.

Or i will just hold horses. See where Bob went with Rah and go for IMR Ciems.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #3,093 of 3,190
That sounds like they were out of phase. Try turning the pins the other way on ONE earpiece and see what happens to the sound... better? worse?

I know someone did buy a b-stock that was out of phase when it arrived. Most, maybe all, of the first batch were out of phase. If they were returned and then resold as b stock without checking for fixing them, I am not impressed.

Hi. Thanks for your suggestion. I tested it again. Yes, it was out of phase. Still timbres are not as accurate as I would want, though. Perhaps I need to listen to it for a few more days to get my ears adjusted to it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #3,094 of 3,190
Thanks for input. Exactly what i was looking for.

Not to make wrong impression about R1 Zeniths here, they are amazing + IMR customer service is excellent. However i am looking for more of a step up from Zeniths. Most likely will sell them once i get my Rah is delivered. But i would really like to have something like shockwave or se846 to rotate between.

Or i will just hold horses. See where Bob went with Rah and go for IMR Ciems.

If you are looking for a big step up and still want to try Hybrids. I suggest Unique Melody Macbeth (1BA 1DD) or Unique Melody Mavis (2BA 2DD). Both have excellent tonal balance and clarity, with Macbeth being relative more fun-sounding. But these are Japanese market specific models. Not sure if you would be able to find them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #3,095 of 3,190
Hi. Thanks for your suggestion. I tested it again. Yes, it was out of phase. Still timbres are not as accurate as I would want, though. Perhaps I need to little to it for a few more days to get my ears adjusted to it.

You do have to get used to any new iem... although some adjust more quickly than others. Some people enjoy different sound signatures.

I find that the orange filter gives the best timbre. The darker of the two gold/copper/orange ones. The lighter one is called the copper filter and for me it is way too much bass and is the only one that I personally find unlistenable. There has been much confusion about these two colors. Someone kept telling me the copper was the only good one and then I found out he actually was using the orange as was I. It made communication a little difficult.

As for the phase problem you can either stick with a cable that has no earhooks so that one can be turned around or you can carefully open it and turn the connector around on one side... but be careful when you put it together. Others might have some tips.

Of course you also have the option to ask for a replacement or return for a refund.

Burn in is real with this one even if you don't believe in it... I am of two minds. I do it just in case. Nothing to lose. I have 200 hours on mine and it is magical with the orange filter.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #3,097 of 3,190
Thank you @gLer i love my R1 Zenit and i considered R2 Aten when i lestened it, but speaking with Bob i decided to jump it and go with RAH definetly :ksc75smile:

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #3,098 of 3,190
Back for some more advice from more experienced music lovers and R1 zenith owners.

Is there anyone who owns/owned both zeniths and CA polaris? Polaris really got my attention just would like to hear comparison between the 2 iems.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #3,099 of 3,190
Guys anyone using a decent 4.4mm balanced cable for R1 Zenith? Just bought wm1a so definately need to get one for both Zeniths and coming Rah.
Btw i went and bought Shockwave III for rotation.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #3,100 of 3,190
Take care about cable because R1z is very sensible.
I tried R2 cable and I didn’t like with R1 Zenith

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #3,101 of 3,190
Guys anyone using a decent 4.4mm balanced cable for R1 Zenith? Just bought wm1a so definately need to get one for both Zeniths and coming Rah.
Btw i went and bought Shockwave III for rotation.
I’m
Using both tanchjim and r2 cable. Both of em yield different sounds imo. Tanchjim gives wider soundstage and tamed highs but looses detail. R2 tamed highs, imo increases detail in the mids but looses bass punch. Though I hate the oem cable

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,102 of 3,190
I’m
Using both tanchjim and r2 cable. Both of em yield different sounds imo. Tanchjim gives wider soundstage and tamed highs but looses detail. R2 tamed highs, imo increases detail in the mids but looses bass punch. Though I hate the oem cable
Well it seems ive got lucky. Today the seller of wm1a just gifted me EA Eros II.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #3,105 of 3,190
I just bought a secondhand IMR R1 (non-zenith) and as I was experimenting with the filters, I noticed I'm not hearing any sound signature change with the other filters then I found out some of the filters have no "filters". Only the the orange and pink has. I can't contact the person I bought this from, so, since I'm using the blue filter, is it normal that it doesn't have anything on the filter, mesh or foam? So which filter normally doesn't have any "filter"if any? The blue, black and copper doesn't have any kind of filter. Obviously, the copper was tampered with. Also, is it normal that the pink has a foam only and no mesh? Again, bought it used and the seller didn't disclose the damage to me.
IMG_20191129_013514.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back