IMR - R1 Thread
May 17, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #2,716 of 3,190
When shopping for aftermarket cables, keep in mind that the R1Z is wired for use with its own cables and use of an aftermarket cable will result in an out-of-phase SQ. If the aftermarket cables do not have overmoulded ear hooks, it is easy to just reverse the pin insertion on one side which will correct the issue. I don't know if all Zeniths are wired this way, but I would suspect that they are. Using the stock cables, phasing is correct.
Most not all. Bob sent me 4 sets of the R1Z and the third set was wired correctly. By this I mean it works with all cables except the stock cables. I believe what happened is the cables were made wrong from the get go and they just changed the way they wired in the drivers to match the cables. They should have corrected the cables but didn't because it was cheaper to just rewire the iem's. This is why Bob's doing everything in house for all his future projects.

May 18, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,717 of 3,190
Most not all. Bob sent me 4 sets of the R1Z and the third set was wired correctly. By this I mean it works with all cables except the stock cables. I believe what happened is the cables were made wrong from the get go and they just changed the way they wired in the drivers to match the cables. They should have corrected the cables but didn't because it was cheaper to just rewire the iem's. This is why Bob's doing everything in house for all his future projects.
I'm confused now. I got sent a replacement set of Zeniths as he said first set were all wired wrong . I also bought a used pair of Zeniths from the website. Bought a Penon Audio balanced cable and an Effect Audio Thor 2 which I've not tried yet for various reasons. Does this mean the Zeniths will not work with these cables? This whole process has left me wondering what the heck I've actually got - the chances of me rewiring something correctly is probably zero and tbh I don't see why I should! Surely my replacement pair of Zeniths and the pair I bought on the IMR website AFTER all the issues were known should be wired correctly?!

May 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,718 of 3,190
I'm confused now. I got sent a replacement set of Zeniths as he said first set were all wired wrong . I also bought a used pair of Zeniths from the website. Bought a Penon Audio balanced cable and an Effect Audio Thor 2 which I've not tried yet for various reasons. Does this mean the Zeniths will not work with these cables? This whole process has left me wondering what the heck I've actually got - the chances of me rewiring something correctly is probably zero and tbh I don't see why I should! Surely my replacement pair of Zeniths and the pair I bought on the IMR website AFTER all the issues were known should be wired correctly?!
Not for aftermarket cables. IMR wired the Zenith's for their cables which are not wired to the industry standard. If you got an out of phase pair of Zeniths aftermarket cables will work.

May 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #2,720 of 3,190
Thank you. So if my R1Z work with the stock cables does that mean they won't work with the aftermarket cables and vice versa?
You'll have to search the thread for an out of phase test and run that. They'll work but the sound will be off and the test will let you know whether they are in phase or out.

May 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,721 of 3,190
You'll have to search the thread for an out of phase test and run that. They'll work but the sound will be off and the test will let you know whether they are in phase or out.
Thank you. I appreciate that many subscribers to this thread know how to do this and are able to check and fix. I'll have a go though I have zero knowledge of what a phase test is. What I find astonishing is that I've bought two sets of iems that may or may not work as the manufacturer advertises and the onus is on me to check and fix. Surely after recalling the first issue of R1Z's owners shouldn't still be faced with possible significant problems from replacements and further online sales? I mean surely the replacements should have been sent with a clear statement as to whether they were wired correctly as per industry norm, and the same goes for items sold on the website consequent to this?

May 18, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,722 of 3,190
Thank you. So if my R1Z work with the stock cables does that mean they won't work with the aftermarket cables and vice versa?
They will work, you just need to reverse one of the 2-pin connectors when you insert them into the Zenith. Not a big deal. You can check for correct phasing HERE.

May 18, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2,723 of 3,190
What I find astonishing is that I've bought two sets of iems that may or may not work as the manufacturer advertises and the onus is on me to check and fix. Surely after recalling the first issue of R1Z's owners shouldn't still be faced with possible significant problems from replacements and further online sales? I mean surely the replacements should have been sent with a clear statement as to whether they were wired correctly as per industry norm, and the same goes for items sold on the website consequent to this?
Agreed. I bought a used set of R1Z arriving any day. Only finding out now after browsing this thread for a while now, I'm a bit disappointed I can't just plug and play to just enjoy them. I have to now do a test...

May 18, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,724 of 3,190
Agreed. I bought a used set of R1Z arriving any day. Only finding out now after browsing this thread for a while now, I'm a bit disappointed I can't just plug and play to just enjoy them. I have to now do a test...

Any time I get a new iem or bud I always do a quick test to make sure left and right are correct and that they are in phase. I use a binaural album that I like. If all is correct tne sounds will be where you expect them to be. I know within seconds.

May 21, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,726 of 3,190
I have a question and you might be able to help me.. I want to decide between R1, Zenith, IE800 and Audeze iSine 10. This will be my first expensive earphone and I am planning to buy used.

On eBay I could find R1 for 140 GBP (including shipping). Zenith from IMR's own website is 203 GBP (including shipping and 1 year warranty). IE800 could be found around 220 GBP, however I am a bit scared of so many fakes out there. Audeze iSine 10, I am getting used for 155 GBP with 2 year warranty.

I personally prefer sound isolating ear-phones, however, now I am looking for something with wide soundstage, so open and closed design of IMR is what I liked. Usually I listen to country music.

What would you do if you were in my place?

May 21, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #2,728 of 3,190
@vrateshpinge
First of all, there is no fake R1 on the market. Its a rather low volume private company custom product. The R1 on Ebay are either: 1) first batch/early concept models ( i think those are with 10mm DD ), 2) leftover from initial R1 stock (13mm DD), 3) R1 Zenith.
If you want to be on the safe side, just get the R1 Zenith, B stock or used. Its supposed to be an upgraded and improved OG R1. I have the R1 and indeed, this is the widest soundstage ive heard in an IEM. When you do A/B comparison w others, it wins every time. But please note, that i have only tried a limited amount of mid/high tier IEMs ( CA Dorado, Dita Truth, few more dont remember ).

May 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,729 of 3,190
I have a question and you might be able to help me.. I want to decide between R1, Zenith, IE800 and Audeze iSine 10. This will be my first expensive earphone and I am planning to buy used.

On eBay I could find R1 for 140 GBP (including shipping). Zenith from IMR's own website is 203 GBP (including shipping and 1 year warranty). IE800 could be found around 220 GBP, however I am a bit scared of so many fakes out there. Audeze iSine 10, I am getting used for 155 GBP with 2 year warranty.

I personally prefer sound isolating ear-phones, however, now I am looking for something with wide soundstage, so open and closed design of IMR is what I liked. Usually I listen to country music.

What would you do if you were in my place?

I would say Zenith
I second @HungryPanda !
I would definitely recommend IMR over your other options.

The IE800 I have never auditioned, but their sterling reputation stems from a time when the competition was a tenth of what it it now - both in quantity and quality. I’m someone who thinks Sennheiser in general is overrated - I’m in a clear minority of Head-fiers here, but time and time again on various threads I’ve read people steer others away from the IE800 in favor of more modern items. It feels like a flagship of yesteryear, bested by more recent mid-range offerings.
I auditioned the iSine 20 a couple of days ago however, and was distinctly underwhelmed. It’s a big tier below the IMR. If you like the option to isolate yourself they are a no-go.

Although I’m partial to the R1 myself (and in the minority again), for country music and to max out on soundstage with the ports open I would advise in favor of the Zenith. You get the crazy detail the IE800 are famous for, the expansive soundstage of the semi-open iSine, and a well-rounded, mature but fun sound that is maybe even better suited to vocals and guitars than on the R1.
Plus you can close the ports to improve isolation when needed - it’s not a huge difference anyway but appreciable.
Having a warranty doesn’t hurt either, as IMR is a boutique brand it’s possible to run into a little snag. Bob will always sort you out in the best way possible, but it’s always better to be officially covered.

Of course you’re posting in the IMR thread so we’ll tend to draw you in with us :wink:
It’s a testament to the brand that we do so. You’d get other replies in a Senn-heads thread, or from people who can’t stand closed-back and isolating iems. But they’d be wrong obviously :D

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,730 of 3,190
I was innocently looking through my Facebook feed today when up pops a message from "IMR Accoustics".
"Only x number of used R1 Zenith left".
I responded to the post asking if the phase was correct on them all, as I have been on the fence.
Not a minute later I see a response from Bob.. "yes, I have personally checked each one".
Well $hit.. with loyalty discount on top of already lowered price, it tipped me over. love my R1, but a new sheriff is in town once my Zenith arrive :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back