IMR - R1 Thread
Mar 19, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #151 of 3,190
Has anyone else had comfort problems? I’ve tried a large variety of tips, but I find the open/closed wheel digs into my ears. When it comes to remove them it really hurts. There’s no pain initially, but they are really digging in, and whilst I adore the sound quality it’s really a case of pain vs pleasure and, sadly, means they are not the IEM I use most, although given the sound they should be.
Are you wearing the cable over the ear and behind your head? Cable in front was a super PITA for me...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #152 of 3,190
I picked them up today..
I received mine Thursday and the first thing I noticed was the bass! It was so full yet controlled. Also, it sound really congested upon first listen. Things cleared up pretty good after burn in though. I let them play for two days straight and I think they still need a little more, but they're quite enjoyable! I will be doing a review soon, my first ever. Lol

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #153 of 3,190
I received mine Thursday and the first thing I noticed was the bass! It was so full yet controlled. Also, it sound really congested upon first listen. Things cleared up pretty good after burn in though. I let them play for two days straight and I think they still need a little more, but they're quite enjoyable! I will be doing a review soon, my first ever. Lol
At least 50 hours according to Bob. I used loud EDM (deadmau5... surprise!) and they balanced out and opened up significantly.

I swept the bass down to 15Hz. Mids and highs are fantastic too. These are the first IEMs that I have had (and I have had several of the absurdly expensive variety) where I got why DSD makes sense. Oh, and did I mention soundstage? I compared them to a friend's fancy Stax system and these are within 5%. Electrostats were a little faster. But, what kind of blew my mind was how much bigger the soundstage was with the R1s. R1s were way better in the bass department as well.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #155 of 3,190
I have a super hard time with UIEMs because the outer part of my ear canal is shallow. So, I can commiserate with your situation. The only thing I can think of is going down a size on the eartips. The rationale is that they will go slightly deeper in the ear canal and relieve some of the pressure you are experiencing with the vent...

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #156 of 3,190
Has anyone else had comfort problems? I’ve tried a large variety of tips, but I find the open/closed wheel digs into my ears. When it comes to remove them it really hurts. There’s no pain initially, but they are really digging in, and whilst I adore the sound quality it’s really a case of pain vs pleasure and, sadly, means they are not the IEM I use most, although given the sound they should be.

Yeah, there can be some discomfort after a while. It's not as bad as the DUNU DK-3001, but it's not the friendliest design for human anatomy.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #157 of 3,190
Will try smaller tips tomorrow, if that doesn’t work I might try finding something to soft-cushion the wheel, or protect my ear.

I’d give up, but the sound quality takes my breath away on some tracks...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #158 of 3,190
Will try smaller tips tomorrow, if that doesn’t work I might try finding something to soft-cushion the wheel, or protect my ear.

I’d give up, but the sound quality takes my breath away on some tracks...
Yup. That is the motivation to make these things fit... it took me three weeks of screwing around to get them right. But, in 40 years of being an audiophile, I can say unequivocally that there is no headphone or IEM that touches these:)

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #159 of 3,190
At least 50 hours according to Bob. I used loud EDM (deadmau5... surprise!) and they balanced out and opened up significantly.

I swept the bass down to 15Hz. Mids and highs are fantastic too. These are the first IEMs that I have had (and I have had several of the absurdly expensive variety) where I got why DSD makes sense. Oh, and did I mention soundstage? I compared them to a friend's fancy Stax system and these are within 5%. Electrostats were a little faster. But, what kind of blew my mind was how much bigger the soundstage was with the R1s. R1s were way better in the bass department as well.
I too ran a bass test with these and I'm seriously impressed! These iems actually do have a significant subwoofer effect, they drop like 12 inch competition subwoofers and you can really feel the woofer rumble coming from them into your ears. I couldn't believe what my own ears heard! I've never experienced this with any of my Aurisonics ASG's! As far as vocals, crystal clear! I hear too thick of a mid bass for my liking, but all else is superb.

I have boat loads of rap & r/b and have heard nothing pushing these iems that hard from my library! I now know what's missing and I shall compensate!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #160 of 3,190
I am too new to the fit to really comment. I am using JVC Spiral Dot XL and not a deep insertion at this point so I think the "wheel" is not making much contact. With the XL the seal is still good without deep insertion

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #164 of 3,190
I use symbio mandarins. Sound wise they have the clearest presentation whilst not taking the bass quality and quantity away - compared to all the included tips. I havr not tried SpinFits.
Comfort wise, they cause discomfort to my ears and they do not stay put that well. I continue to use them though as the provide better sonics. Though im all ears if someone knows a comfortable tip that does not compromise something on sound??

I have to wear over ear. Every IEM i have tried falls out if i wear them down

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #165 of 3,190
I have to wear over ear. Every IEM i have tried falls out if i wear them down
Ultimately, I had to go with a third party cable (headphonelounge.com) with memory wire... this allowed me to adjust the angle perfectly AND keep the IEMs from falling out of my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back