IMR - R1 Thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #167 of 3,190
Contacted Bob to see if he had any customer returns and was able to sell me a pair for 200 pounds. Only had a couple hours to listen to them so far and pretty impressed (especially for what I was able to snag them at).

General impressions:
  • Fit for me is on par with the andromeda, which is the best fit I've experienced. Not as isolating, however.
  • Most of my time has been spent with the black filter and EDM. It pushes vocals back a little more than I like but keeps them natural. Most of the other filters seem to make vocals a little wonky.
  • And holy driver flex... I'm used to driver flex on insertion, but even moving my jaw causes crinkling. Anyone figure out a way to minimize this? I don't have a huge selection of tips with me atm but will report back if it changes anything.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #168 of 3,190
Foam tips should help with driver flex, but yeah, I get a decent amount of flex on the left side.

Regarding the use of other cables, what should be the proper orientation? On conventional 2-pin connections I have the red/blue dot indicators facing up; on the R1 should the dots be pointing in towards the ears, or outwards?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #169 of 3,190
IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
At least 50 hours according to Bob. I used loud EDM (deadmau5... surprise!) and they balanced out and opened up significantly.

I swept the bass down to 15Hz. Mids and highs are fantastic too. These are the first IEMs that I have had (and I have had several of the absurdly expensive variety) where I got why DSD makes sense. Oh, and did I mention soundstage? I compared them to a friend's fancy Stax system and these are within 5%. Electrostats were a little faster. But, what kind of blew my mind was how much bigger the soundstage was with the R1s. R1s were way better in the bass department as well.
I received my Norne Audio Silvergarde S cable (pure silver) and the soundstage has opened even wider, the bass decays a lot faster now and is still present! The bass is not as deep vs the stock cable, but it has no burn in time as of yet. This cable is notoriously known for its bass capabilities before y'all get started on a silver cables characteristics! Lol

PART 2
And 45 minutes later, I'm just getting back from YouTube playing this bass track (these R1's are HELL my friends):

And I found that not only with my new Silvergarde cable, can I hear more details ; but that BASS is HITTING and DROPPING RETARDLY HARDER! My ears are ringing stupid! Man, these are the BEST iems I own !! I'm not taking away from the stock cable because it is well made and also sounds exceptional, but this cable upgrade has done it times 3 (only a bigger credit to Bob and his creation)! I now know the super potential of this phone, IT'S PHENOMENAL!!! I also listened to some of the same songs I played last night and could hear many new things I didn't hear previously. The cable brought sounds out that I noticed faintly in the mix and gave them energy.

I love Headfi and the reviews, I wouldn't have come across these iems without it!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #170 of 3,190

I received my Norne Audio Silvergarde S cable (pure silver) and the soundstage has opened even wider, the bass decays a lot faster now and is still present! The bass is not as deep vs the stock cable, but it has no burn in time as of yet. This cable is notoriously known for its bass capabilities before y'all get started on a silver cables characteristics! Lol

PART 2
And 45 minutes later, I'm just getting back from YouTube playing this bass track (these R1's are HELL my friends):

And I found that not only with my new Silvergarde cable, can I hear more details ; but that BASS is HITTING and DROPPING RETARDLY HARDER! My ears are ringing stupid! Man, these are the BEST iems I own !! I'm not taking away from the stock cable because it is well made and also sounds exceptional, but this cable upgrade has done it times 3 (only a bigger credit to Bob and his creation)! I now know the super potential of this phone, IT'S PHENOMENAL!!! I also listened to some of the same songs I played last night and could hear many new things I didn't hear previously. The cable brought sounds out that I noticed faintly in the mix and gave them energy.

I love Headfi and the reviews, I wouldn't have come across these iems without it!

I am running a Type 2 Solid Silver Litz cable from headphonelounge.com (great prices!) and have had identical results!!! High Ho Silver!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #173 of 3,190
Budget Cable recommendations ?
0-100$
Hey Robervaul and it's always nice to make new friend! I started off by buying a Moon Audio Black Dragon v1 and the cost for me was $160.00 (in stock).

I would contact Trevor from Norne Audio (some cables in stock/b-stock also :wink: and tell him you're a first time customer and see what deal he will work out for you! From experience, sound quality, customer service, deals & such, TREVOR !!!!

Norne Audio has a thread here they respond to on this forum.

Hope that helps

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #174 of 3,190
Hey Robervaul and it's always nice to make new friend! I started off by buying a Moon Audio Black Dragon v1 and the cost for me was $160.00 (in stock).

I would contact Trevor from Norne Audio (some cables in stock/b-stock also :wink: and tell him you're a first time customer and see what deal he will work out for you! From experience, sound quality, customer service, deals & such, TREVOR !!!!

Hope that helps
Thanks Bro.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #175 of 3,190

Hope that helps
Don't buy moon audio, I cut open their wires and they r smoooooooth thin. 28awg wire. That's too thin.
Check out sgaudiohive.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back