IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #121 of 3,190
Hi all, i hope you are enjoying the IMR as much as i am, i wanted to get custom ear buds to get the most out of them,

i contacted sugs and this was there response

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Unfortunately we do not have the template for this earphone. It is not just the tip we template the Snug encases round the earphone.
Templating is extremely costly and time consuming process and not a service which we are offering at present unless there is a large market demand.

Sorry we cannot help on this occasion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice on getting custom earbuds, the foam tips full out using the standard buds at the moment but i want a better noise isolation and base responce.

Hi, short response : look at my review:wink:

Or you can pm me for more details.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #124 of 3,190
Has anyone used the balanced cable yet?

I found that the sound is thinner and more distant. Dont know if its something to do with the cable, or that is what its meant to be like, or, if ita something to do with the player (Cayin N5ii) but i know that people find the sound better on n5ii balanced.

I trying to ascertain the cause of this as it doesn seem right to me.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Cheers

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #126 of 3,190
Just when I decided IMR must have changed their mind about sending me the R1, it arrived!

I liked the sound using the pre-installed Black filter, but have really fallen in love with the Copper. Also, my JVC Spiral Dots add warmth and openness, and as usual, I like them best.

Now for some negatives...

Holy god! The soundstage is... nonexistent. Even when turning the port to Open, it's the smallest stage I've ever heard. What is going on? Is there a filter that makes these at least modestly expansive? Check my profile. Every IEM in that list sound bigger than these. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

My second gripe is the cable. Well, and the IEM. Even if I could force one of my custom 2-pin cables to connect, because the jack is horizontal, it would make them all ergonomically incompatible. The cable isn't terrible, but it isn't great, either. And the fact I can't use any of my upgrade cables just adds to the annoyance.

Finally, I'm listening to Ariana Grande's Moonlight, and the bass is distorting. Now, I understand, I have the bass-filter on, but there shouldn't be a filter that causes the bass to distort when a track really kicks.

Maybe after a week of burn-in all will be awesome. We'll see.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #127 of 3,190
Finally, I'm listening to Ariana Grande's Moonlight, and the bass is distorting. Now, I understand, I have the bass-filter on, but there shouldn't be a filter that causes the bass to distort when a track really kicks.

No distorting bass here (using copper filter) and I'm pushing them really hard (Arrow + EQ).

Also I'm not of an soundstage expert, but to me it feels quite big.

Maybe you got a defect IEM (especially concerning the bass)?

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #128 of 3,190
Just when I decided IMR must have changed their mind about sending me the R1, it arrived!

I liked the sound using the pre-installed Black filter, but have really fallen in love with the Copper. Also, my JVC Spiral Dots add warmth and openness, and as usual, I like them best.

Now for some negatives...

Holy god! The soundstage is... nonexistent. Even when turning the port to Open, it's the smallest stage I've ever heard. What is going on? Is there a filter that makes these at least modestly expansive? Check my profile. Every IEM in that list sound bigger than these. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

My second gripe is the cable. Well, and the IEM. Even if I could force one of my custom 2-pin cables to connect, because the jack is horizontal, it would make them all ergonomically incompatible. The cable isn't terrible, but it isn't great, either. And the fact I can't use any of my upgrade cables just adds to the annoyance.

Maybe after a week of burn-in all will be awesome. We'll see.

Sounds like you may have a dud. Bass can get huge on these, but have never got distorted for me, no matter what I push it with. Soundstage is also ok for me (not huge, but not tiny). Might be worth checking in with Bob?

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #130 of 3,190
It turns out it was a dud. But not the IEM.

Tonight I switched from the balanced cable to the single-ended, and all of a sudden... wow! Soundstage is quite large! The whole presentation sounds correct, and very beautiful.

You can only imagine the sort of weird mess I was hearing, with a damaged cable. It was wrong in many bizarre ways.

lol. You guys are right. The R1 is rather spectacular.
:L3000:

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #131 of 3,190

Tonight I switched from the balanced cable to the single-ended, and all of a sudden... wow! Soundstage is quite large! The whole presentation sounds correct, and very beautiful.

You can only imagine the sort of weird mess I was hearing, with a damaged cable. It was wrong in many bizarre ways.

I posted about this a few pages back. What is it with this balanced cable? I couldnt work out if it was the N5iis balanced out. The cable. Or something else... can you try with other balanced to see if they work ok? The R1 balanced is the only balancced cable i own so cant do any testing.
Glad you worked it out though as these sound awesome to me.

I f8nd Blue filter best for Jazz and complex instrument heavy traks

Black for anything BASS present

Copper clippe the highs a bit tp much for me

Havent tried the rest

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #132 of 3,190
Could it be something as simple as the polarity on one of the cable ends being reversed?

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #134 of 3,190

I put in some good listening time today at work. I'm thoroughly impressed by the R1. Vocals especially are a thing of perfection.

I have enough treble-y IEMs (Fourté and Encore), that I really appreciate how different the R1 is with Copper installed. Honestly, it still has plenty of treble for my tastes. And that bass!

homer_drool.png

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #135 of 3,190

Read your original post this morning over my Wheatabix, was completely confused thinking there must be something wrong. Having a similar thing with my balanced too. Not quite sure although I use single ended because they just sound so good!
Glad you got it sorted in the end, my heart sank a bit before. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back