Impressions of the Playaz N1, Sonia II, RE252, RE0, PFE and IE8, or “Something of Everything and a Case for EQing”
Mar 20, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #46 of 77
^ I'm afraid Rockbox for V2 hasn't progressed very far yet. The default EQ on the Fuze is better than the iPod's but just like the Sony's it does degrade SQ. It's no night and day difference, but easily noticable. Once you will be able to install Rockbox you'll certainly know what I'm talking about.

BTW there are only negligible changes in sound characteristics between the stock firmware and Rockbox. Moreover, Rockbox installs with a bootloader, so you can still switch between stock firmware and Rockbox on startup. So hopefully there will soon be a Rockbox port for your Fuze!
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find EQ'ing down settings (reducing what is present in an IEM) works very well as compared to EQ'ing up settings (trying to add what doesn't necessarily exist in an IEM) which is not always as successfull.

I concur with you and prefer to EQ down vs. up whenever possible. But I've also found that in doing so, with some less sensitive phones even the maximum volume can get too low on certain classical recordings.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #48 of 77
I think I might be able to get used to the bass with the Fuze, it is alot more under control on the Fuze as compared to the Ipod and WAYYY more in control as compared to my wifes E Series Sony. I think the Fuze does a pretty darn solid job across the board, cymbals actually sound right for the first time for me and I really like the airy feel and massive sound stage.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #49 of 77
well if the E series is anything like the A series it is a bit colored which is probably why it's been demoted to burnin dap #2

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll burned in the Sonias for over 40 hours now @ James, and they are shining nicely. Treble seems a tad recessed to me (not a big highs guy though, so that's fine), but the bass is really smooth and natural, and the mids are nice (not too forward, but not too recessed). Great value earphone. I'm listening through my uDAC. Now it's time to get some good burn in time on the N1s. By the way, I'm only using the stock black silicon tip on the Sonias. Recommend a better tip?

Oh, I'm listening without eq-ing, but about to explore that now with the iTunes eq in my iMac.

Treble recessed on the Sonias?
eek.gif
... Oh, you're listening without EQ, that explains it. IMO the Sonias have the most extended treble of all Playaz IEMs, though a tad sharp out-of-box and only smoothening out after extended playtime. BTW the stock silicon tips are to thin for my liking, I prefer the stiffer UE single flanges.

As for the N1, it remains my favorite for classical. I was outside on a garden chair yesterday, enjoying one of the first warm spring days, listening to Brahms and Mahler. I had the $30 N1 and the $700 FADs with me and was switching back and forth between them. Both are very emotional and involving with classical music and even quite similar in regard to their open, airy sound signature - but I swear the N1 held the upper hand. Not according to audiophile attributes like detail, etc., but in sheer overall enjoyment.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Treble recessed on the Sonias?
eek.gif
... Oh, you're listening without EQ, that explains it. IMO the Sonias have the most extended treble of all Playaz IEMs, though a tad sharp out-of-box and only smoothening out after extended playtime. BTW the stock silicon tips are to thin for my liking, I prefer the stiffer UE single flanges.

As for the N1, it remains my favorite for classical. I was outside on a garden chair yesterday, enjoying one of the first warm spring days, listening to Brahms and Mahler. I had the $30 N1 and the $700 FADs with me and was switching back and forth between them. Both are very emotional and involving with classical music and even quite similar in regard to their open, airy sound signature - but I swear the N1 held the upper hand. Not according to audiophile attributes like detail, etc., but in sheer overall enjoyment.
smile_phones.gif

Okay James, I'll try the eq-ing again. It's funny, but when I was younger I was into eq-ing all the time, then I got into a phase where I like to hear everything on flat, and now you're pushing me to eq-ing again...lol. Burn in truly does wonders for the N3 and Sonias. Now it's time to do the same for the N1.

Btw, switching subjects a little, I think I've found the perfect tip finally for the e-Q7. A good head-fier friend sent me some Sony hybrid tips to try with my Monster Turbine Copper. Well, it was just awful with the Copper. Made everything sound so far away. And was going to throw them away, but a little voice said to me, "Hey Eric, why don't you give those spin with the e-Q7." I don't hear little voices often, so I thought I would follow the suggestion this time. And am I glad I did! Those tips really brings out every range in the Ortos, including the somewhat elusive highs. If you haven't tried them, do so and let me know what you think James.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

If you like jazz with strings, find a jazz trumpeter named Tom Harrell and his tune entitled "Baroque Steps." Just heaven!!

Checked this one out and the "Paradise" CD is awesome - thanks for suggesting this, I always appreciate good music recommendations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Okay James, I'll try the eq-ing again. It's funny, but when I was younger I was into eq-ing all the time, then I got into a phase where I like to hear everything on flat, and now you're pushing me to eq-ing again...lol. Burn in truly does wonders for the N3 and Sonias. Now it's time to do the same for the N1.

I promise I won't push you into eq-ing again, Eric, at least not with the Playaz and the Sony. I think I've tried every imaginable EQ setting on my Sony and it just didn't work out. Sorry, I hope you'll have the chance to hear them from a rockboxed Fuze or a Cowon some day, maybe then you'll know what I was talking about.

Quote:

Btw, switching subjects a little, I think I've found the perfect tip finally for the e-Q7. A good head-fier friend sent me some Sony hybrid tips to try with my Monster Turbine Copper. Well, it was just awful with the Copper. Made everything sound so far away. And was going to throw them away, but a little voice said to me, "Hey Eric, why don't you give those spin with the e-Q7." I don't hear little voices often, so I thought I would follow the suggestion this time. And am I glad I did! Those tips really brings out every range in the Ortos, including the somewhat elusive highs. If you haven't tried them, do so and let me know what you think James.

My e-Q7 are still with dfkt, but if I remember correctly I had tried the Sony hybrids and found the soundstage somewhat lacking, compared to the UE tips. But I will try them again once I have my Ortofons back.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #53 of 77
Thanks for the super review. I actually buy the N1 N3 and Sonia II from Thomas.
But still my fav is N3 not sure about EQ ing though.
My current DAP is e280 Sansa rockboxed and using EQ from James
@EricP what is your EQ setting for N3
Thanks ^^

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #54 of 77
I EQ my RE0 with the A series walkman.
Mainly on the bottom end, but it is correct, up a little adds a little colour (which is nice),
up a lot and the effect starts to affect the other frequencies.
I like the EQ up (just not too much), it makes the RE0 a bit more dynamic and exciting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuraninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the super review. I actually buy the N1 N3 and Sonia II from Thomas.
But still my fav is N3 not sure about EQ ing though.
My current DAP is e280 Sansa rockboxed and using EQ from James
@EricP what is your EQ setting for N3
Thanks ^^

Hello kuraninja, welcome to Head-Fi and thanks for the compliment, glad you're enjoying your Playaz IEMs!
smile_phones.gif

The N1 and Sonia II need some playtime to sound their best. But maybe you just like the sound signature of the N3 better, like Eric.

BTW, the EQ-settings in my review were for the Cowon i9. I use a bit different EQ settings with Rockbox. Here we go:
N1: -20@40Hz, -10@100Hz, -5@200Hz, 0@4000Hz, +3@12000Hz
Sonia II: -12@40Hz, -6@100Hz, -2@200Hz, +2@4000Hz, +3@12000Hz

I have not tried to find EQ settings for the N3 yet, maybe Eric can help out?

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulypaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I EQ my RE0 with the A series walkman.
Mainly on the bottom end, but it is correct, up a little adds a little colour (which is nice),
up a lot and the effect starts to affect the other frequencies.
I like the EQ up (just not too much), it makes the RE0 a bit more dynamic and exciting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi paulypaul, the RE0s in my review were only borrowed and I was too lazy to find EQ-settings. But if they were mine I would definitely EQ them!
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #57 of 77
Hi I will try the EQ for Sonia II
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks
For me the N1 is very sharp and intense, but N3 is very relaxing and detail..
Btw I love all of the Earphone I bought from Thomas :d
Its only 30 min away from my home though

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #58 of 77
^ I agree the N3 is more laid-back compared to the other models. The sharpness on the N1 should smoothen out after about 30-50 hours of playtime. In case it doesn't, maybe your Sansa e280 has a different sound signature than my Fuze - so you'd have to try out other EQ settings that fit your DAP better.

You live only 30min from Thomas, so you're in or nearby Berlin? Nice city, been there and loved it!
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #59 of 77
Yep I live in Berlin
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I will buy another DAP to compare the sound signature, will try to buy Cowon S9.
My friend has it and it sounds real good. Do you have any suggestion, which DAP should I buy ? Nationite S:Flo2 or Cowon S9 or Fuze.
Because im not good at EQ ing.......
Thanks..

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #60 of 77
^ So I understand you can try the EQ-settings on your friend's S9 before you buy? I like my Cowon i9, because it's very small and light and you can tweak the sound with EQ and BBE any way you want. If you don't need video you can go for the i9, soundwise it's the same as the S9, only smaller and cheaper. I don't know the S:Flo2 and it would be too large for me - I like to carry my DAP in a shirt/breast pocket. The rockboxed Fuze is a great player too, but as far as I know there's currently no stable Rockbox build for the newer Fuze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back