I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3
Jan 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #196 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NSx-23, have you acquired your set as yet?

I've placed my order in on Wednessday, and they're shipping them out on Monday via overnight express. Damn public holidays! I will also post impressions when I get them.

If you're considering buying them, the Australian pricing is actually very good (for a change). I'm getting mine from minidisc.com.au, which is also where I got my D2.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #198 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i like the stock tips and well as the medium size double flange which is what i am currently using. not the ones that look like two mini discs but the rounded double flange. i didn't like the foams and the other disc shaped double flange changed the sound too much. took out all bass. those are prolly good with acoustic music but not for my tastes.

I tried them all (stock) and settled on the smallest foam for best stay-in-your-ear fit and isolation (which still isn't as good as Shure's SE530 or EC2). I tried using Shure EC2's tips for IE8: they fit a bit better -- i.e. seal/isolation -- but I think the longer canal/tube/tunnel/cavity/whatever-its-called of the Shure tip significantly degraded the SQ.
Not sure if Sennheiser designed the IE8 to sound best with only a partial seal?
I wear the IE8 right-side up with ear clips, as suggested in the manual. The cables are light, comfortable and not microphonic -- a superb design.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #200 of 269
I got my comply tips for the IE8 and have listened for a couple of days now first up they are soooooo comfortable. The only way these are coming out of my ears is if i pull em out, no head turning and losing a seal or anything like that. They stay where they should (over the ear by the way) Il try and describe the sound but im no expert.
popcorn.gif
When i first put them in (the complys) the sound was too bassy, i had the iem set at 3rd notch so turned it down to default but that wasnt enough for me so up they went to 2nd notch they sounded quite good if slightly darker, a slight veil over the sound is how id describe it,but still very enjoyable.
I decided to burn them in for another 12 hrs and listened to them again tonight.(about 75hrs now i think) Oh my god!!!! They are definately still changing, detail is incredible, so many things i can hear now. I was listening to Bon Ivers album which is fairly new to me so dont know it inside out but i (believe) i am hearing all sorts of clicks and touches on the accoustic guitar i never heard before, and im sure ive heard him itching his beard lol
icon10.gif
Would be good to hear if anyone else hears this, just so many small details in the background like a foot shuffling, breathing, a sniff that sort of thing. Im really amazed or could be going mad
icon10.gif

Anyway detail has improved lol as have the highs with further burn in, it just sounds altogether better, overall more balanced (thats the burn in not the tips)
At the moment im really enjoying the complys but may go back to the silicone doubles that came with it as that will probably be a slightly better sound, but the comfort of the complys is hard to ignore. At this point im back up to notch 3 as i felt i wanted more bass again. Burning in does seem to decrease the bass. Or as alot of people say its tightening up, to me it sounds like less as im turning them up a notch, but its all there on bassy tracks.
These are the only top end iems ive used so cant compare to any others, sorry. Totally non fatiguing not a hint of siblance, i could/ have listened to them for hrs on end and with the complys i dont feel a need to take them out and itch my ears like with the stock tips. I believe im losing out on a little sound quality but not alot, only time will tell.
Isolation as expected is slightly better with the complys but as you know i had no problems with that before they were fine for me.
I did try wearing them the wrong way again but it made no improvement in sound but feels weird/slightly uncomfortable to me. I like to wear them over the ear without the clip things,pushed in as far as i can and then pull them out ever so slightly, that gives me the best sound i feel.
Sorry for waffling on but some people wanted to hear my impressions on the complys.
I hope you all get yours soon those that are waiting.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #201 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok guys i get the idea ie8 is the step up from se530, but what about the westone 3?!? u guys forgot about that

Umm,,,SE530, Westone 3, IE8, they are all in the same league, there isn't a step up or down, its just your own preferences, each company have their own sound signature~But W3 and IE8 are newer than SE530, therefore its gaining more attention and preferences by people~

The reason why you don't see many comment about Westone 3 in this thread is because there are more people who own IE8 in this thread, but go to Westone 3 appreciation thread, you will find better information ^ ^

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #202 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what?

Forgive me, typo. I can't believe I missed this, very funny.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #203 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruits /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my comply tips for the IE8 and have listened for a couple of days now first up they are soooooo comfortable. The only way these are coming out of my ears is if i pull em out, no head turning and losing a seal or anything like that. They stay where they should (over the ear by the way).

Do you compress (mold) the foam tip before inserting into ear?
I don't have Complys for IE8, but the stock IE8 foams can't really be shaped/molded the way Shure foam tips can.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #204 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you compress (mold) the foam tip before inserting into ear?
I don't have Complys for IE8, but the stock IE8 foams can't really be shaped/molded the way Shure foam tips can.

Yes just roll and squeeze them between fingers a little, insert and hold for a few seconds and feel them expand to my ears.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #205 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm,,,SE530, Westone 3, IE8, they are all in the same league, there isn't a step up or down...

ummm,,,do you own or have you at least heard all three to make this determination?

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #206 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ummm,,,do you own or have you at least heard all three to make this determination?

i think he just means that they are in the same league as being top universal IEMs not in the same league in terms of SQ. but i'm just assuming here.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #207 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listen to Westone 3 everyday because it is my favorate, I listened to SE530 for about a day recently because I bought it for my cousin as a Christmas gift (I also wanted to try it)~Haven't listened to IE8 at the moment, but according to what I red, I assumed it must be in the same league with the Westone 3 and SE530~
I am pretty sure most people in this forum will accept that they are in the same league because they are all the "top of line IEMs" for their respective companies.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #208 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think he just means that they are in the same league as being top universal IEMs not in the same league in terms of SQ. but i'm just assuming here.

Yep, exactly, they are all the top of line for their respective sound signature, so where is the step up or down?

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #209 of 269
Quote:

I listen to Westone 3 everyday because it is my favorate, I listened to SE530 for about a day recently because I bought it for my cousin as a Christmas gift (I also wanted to try it)~Haven't listened to IE8 at the moment, but according to what I red, I assumed it must be in the same league with the Westone 3 and SE530~
I am pretty sure most people in this forum will accept that they are in the same league because they are all the "top of line IEMs" for their respective companies.

i see what you mean here.

i've listened to the Triple Fi 10, and i own the SE530s and IE8. I haven't tried the W3 as of yet but i can tell you that from what i've read the IE8 doesn't sound like the W3 nor SE530. It actually sounds more like the triple fi. like in the middle of both the shures and triple fi. it improves on everything the triple fi does plus adds the bass of the shures but it still doesn't have that shure midrange. its midrange it still good but it isn't the meat and potatoes that the se530s are.

they are all the holy grail of Universal IEMs but still not even close to Customs.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #210 of 269
Quote:

Yep, exactly, they are all the top of line for their respective sound signature, so where is the step up or down?

Step up would be Custom IEMs
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back