I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3
Dec 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 269

AgainstTheGrain

500+ Head-Fier
The new kids on the block in the high-fi IEM category. I'm buying one of these two IEMs. Which one wins in a head to head comparison?

Seems as the W3 are the best thing since sliced bread but these forums were abuzz about the IE8 just about a week or so ago. i would prefer to hear from people who have tried both IEMs.

I'm leaning more towards the W3s mainly do to it being $399.99 plus the 20% rebate. a BIG bonus vs. the IE8 $449.99 price tag.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 269
ESW10s
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both. Prefer the more balanced and smoother IE8.

Whats your opinion on the SE530 compared with the Westone 3? I tried them both today and I'm leaning towards SHURE.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 269
oh wow.... i've got the hd600 and completing the senn family with the ie8 sounds intriguing. definitely gotta upgrade my e4c.

btw ical which iem has less microphonics when rubbing against the wire? i would guess the ie8 right? The westone 3 has twisted wires so there should be no phonics. I can't stand the microphonic of my e4c and can only listen to them when sitting still or lying down...

another thing is ... which is more comfortable to wear? The westone design makes over-the-ear wearing mandatory but no the ie8. which is better?

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 269
Damn, I should have never even looked at this thread. I was so close to just saying "I'm getting the Westone 3" and now these comments have me doubting. I currently have the SE530. Specifically, what's better/worse about the Westone 3 compared to the other phones you guys mentioned?

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 269
I was actually dead set in getting the Westone 3s but unfortunately they were all sold out. I then tried the SE530. (which btw are slightly more expensive). Listened to Eva Cassidy on CD, I noticed the vocals on the SE530 were richer whereas on the W3s, it wasn't as strong but had good overall balance. Bass was heavier which sometimes can be overpowering. They're both excellent IEMs but I think its a matter of preference. I'm now don't know which one to get.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 269
I think the SE530's forward mids made the vocal seem richer. First time impressions are not forever impressions. Having owned the E500 which is exactly the same as SE530, I can easily say I prefer the overall balance of the W3 much more as it pretty much fits every track I listen to. Well each to their own, but for me it bested the E500 in every way especially the highs and lows

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 269
What's bothering me right now with my SE530 is the laid back highs and the prominent lows. For most tracks, it's great: very engaging, fun to listen to, and non-fatiguing. But then I listen to some other tracks where the highs just aren't "there" and the lows are still prominent which is kind of distracting. I've tried EQ-ing my music so the highs are boosted and lows are slightly reduced which sounds better, but because it's a software EQ it just sounds "fake."

Don't get me wrong, the Shure SE530/E500 is a fantastic earphone. However, based on one's personal preferences, it might have some shortcomings that the Westone 3 apparently fixes based on reviews so far.

So I have to ask, how is the Shure better than the Westone? Like, you guys are talking about the vocals being better on the Shure.... The vocals aren't incredible, in my opinion. In fact, at times, they're slightly veiled due to the recessed, slightly rolled off highs. The mids are absolutely amazing, yes, and that's what makes the SE530/E500 shine. But talking strictly vocals.... I personally hope it's a different story on the Westone 3.

Those who have heard both please elaborate on how each one sounds.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by robinclp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw ical which iem has less microphonics when rubbing against the wire? i would guess the ie8 right?

another thing is ... which is more comfortable to wear? The westone design makes over-the-ear wearing mandatory but no the ie8. which is better?

IE8 has no microphonic at all, due to a very soft cable. Comfort is absolutely amazing in both options (over the ear and normal). Don't know about westone, but in my opinion IE8 is best from the design / comfort perspective phone on the market.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 has no microphonic at all, due to a very soft cable. Comfort is absolutely amazing in both options (over the ear and normal). Don't know about westone, but in my opinion IE8 is best from the design / comfort perspective phone on the market.

If you don't know about the Westones how can you have an opinion on the "best from the design / comfort perspective phone on the market".

You can say that the IE8s are really comfotable, but until you've tried the entire market you can't claim that they're the market leaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back