I'm returning my HD800's - What else should I try?
Aug 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #121 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I disagree with someone about the K-701, I don't drag it out over a 100+ post thread just to irritate them.

Hehe...So, if someone disagree with you about the HD-800, it's fine to call him a troll ?
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #122 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that there should be no emotional investment in your choices? That you should just buy randomly, so as not to have any investment in what you choose?

Not at all. We all obviously derive a lot of pleasure from this hobby which is facilitated buy the gear we purchase, so some emotional attachment is inevitable. We buy the best gear we can within our limits so that we can maximize our enjoyment, right?

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #123 of 169
I offered help and advice, not including spending large amounts of money on upgrades. Such as have a listen to someones elses rig, in which the HD800 is sounding it's best and judge for yourself.

I stand by what I have said earlier, the OP is tunnel visioned.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #125 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I offered help and advice, not including spending large amounts of money on upgrades. Such as have a listen to someones elses rig, in which the HD800 is sounding it's best and judge for yourself.

That's even more absurd. So, what, you want me to knock door-to-door and ask my neighbors if they have an HD800 that I can listen to? Or maybe somebody here wouldn't mind inviting a complete stranger over for a few hours while I listen to their HD800 and fiddle with their equipment. Even *IF* I waited for a meet and took a listen - am I likely to hear the treble toned down dramatically and the sibilance disappear? NO! Not unless the amp has a gigantic treble knob that I can twist to the left. So, thanks, but no thanks.

Quote:

I stand by what I have said earlier, the OP is tunnel visioned.

Yeah, I don't even know what you mean by that. I know you think I am a great fool because I am unable to ascertain the sonic perfection that is the HD800 to you, and that anyone who doesn't think so must immediately track down someone who can hear the sonic bliss and knock some sense into me.

On the other hand, consider this. I cannot stand what I perceive to be exaggerated highs and annoying sibilance from my HD800. Based on the magnitude of these offensive sounds that I hear, I do not believe any amplification will make them sound even tolerable. Therefore, it is a waste of my time to keep them longer, spend more money on amplification that I know will not help, allow my return period to expire, etc. all the while hoping/praying that I won't hear the exact same treble problems that many others have reported about these headphones. It's time to move on and try other headphones. Just because YOU like them, does not mandate that the world likes them. Just because they don't sound good to me, does NOT mean that I have a hearing problem or my equipment is garbage.

On the hand, the people who come here and have one thing to say and one thing only: "get a new amp," seem to be the ones who are tunnel-visioned, to use your term.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #126 of 169
I would not sell the HD-800's; I've had a pair for a few weeks now and there is one thing that is very clear with them; they are revealing, both with amps and music.

Amps; I've 3 amps that I've tried them with, all medium range; Little dot mk III, Little dot mk V and a Meier Corda Cantata.2. I can hear clear differences between these amps using the HD-800's that escaped me with other 'phones. (To date I prefer the LD mk V). I.e. these phones make discrimination between amps/sources easy.

Music; the HD-800s are magnificent and revealing; with superbly mastered tracks there is probably little better. However, with tracks that may be musically magnificent (emotion, presence, ability) but that are perhaps not well mastered, or maybe, just old (hiss, poor recordings etc), I already find that I prefer something more forgiving (at the moment a pair of Denon D5000's).

Think twice before you get rid of them. Try other amps - but try to audition them before you spend money. Look at a pair of more forgiving 'phones for the more challenged tracks (the Denon's make (for me) a good alternative in this case). However, for me, when the conditions are right, the HD-800's deliver.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #127 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe...So, if someone disagree with you about the HD-800, it's fine to call him a troll ?
wink.gif

No. Trolling has to do with the intent to provoke.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #128 of 169
I have noticed that every time someone says that he doesn't like a headphone and he is gonna return it etc etc,then there is too much conversation which,for me,is a waste of time.
If the op doesn't like his hd 800,it's ok,he can return it back.
For me all this 100+posts is really a waste of time.There is allready too much information about these headphones,if somebody wants to buy them he can try them and make his decisions.
I have seen this same story many times in the past(with other cans),here at headfi.Someone is dissapointed with a pair of headphones and then there is a 100+posts thread,without a reason.
Headfi is a nice community and it's not good members to get angry only because somebody else doesn't like a pair of headphones.Maybe give him an advice and that's all.
Sorry smelly gas if i sound like ass,but i can see no reason for members to disagreeing and be rude to each other only for a pair of headphones.

At the end,this hobby is for making us feel good
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #129 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's even more absurd. So, what, you want me to knock door-to-door and ask my neighbors if they have an HD800 that I can listen to? Or maybe somebody here wouldn't mind inviting a complete stranger over for a few hours while I listen to their HD800 and fiddle with their equipment. Even *IF* I waited for a meet and took a listen - am I likely to hear the treble toned down dramatically and the sibilance disappear? NO! Not unless the amp has a gigantic treble knob that I can twist to the left. So, thanks, but no thanks.

How on earth do you know what you're likely to hear or not hear out of other people's rigs? Is the sound of any given rig something you think you can work out logically?

I've been going to meets for a long time, and had the privilege of hearing many different rigs, from the very humble to the very expensive, and one thing that its taught me is that system synergy is everything.

Some combinations that look very good on paper, fall short in reality. Particularly once the headphone and amp reach a certain level of quality, source starts becoming increasingly important. The difference that can be heard between a sub-par source and a good source, on the same rig, can be very unexpected.

The message I'm trying to get across here is: try to keep an open mind. I have disliked individual components before, only to have my oppinion revised by hearing them within a synergistic rig. Which isnt to say that perhaps the HD800 simply isnt the 'phone for you, only that you shouldnt discount the benefit of attending meets and hearing such components out of a variety of rigs for yourself before reserving final judgement.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #131 of 169
Quote:

"Therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE to design an earphone (which can be approximated as a single large radiating source) that can account for all the anatomic variation that people have. . . . Anybody who owns an HD800 and/or has ingested all of the HD800 praise (including stereophile's) thinks that anyone who can't hear the audio superiority of the HD800 must either have hearing problems or their equipment is crap.

SmellyGas, good point. But you sound like an intelligent person who must be aware of the normal curve, which we apply to human populations. It works for IQ, vision, hearing, and nearly everything that's produced and sold. One standard deviation from the mean accounts for 68% of the population; two SDs, 95.4%. This means that less than 5% of the population are at the extremes of the curve. To survive in any business, including 'phones, manufacturers try to cater to the masses bunched together in the middle. Sennheiser used many different sets of ears to develop the HD800 to make sure that they weren't offering cans to the exceptions only. I'm sure most manufacturers do the same.

So you're right: "It is IMPOSSIBLE to design an earphone . . . that can account for all the anatomic variation that people have." But it is possible to design one that accounts for 68% or even 95% of the population.

Quote:

lol, you probably meant to the K-701 trolls...

Quote:

wink.gif

This is OT and, in my opinion, trolling. Let's get back on topic.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #132 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread should be closed, no more benefit is being derived. OP return the cans and buy something else, be happy.

Miguel, I disagree. When a lot of knowledgeable and experienced Head-Fiers participate in a discussion that becomes somewhat heated, it's a sign that there are key issues involved. And these issues both apply to and transcend the immediate topic. For example, one is the problem of differences in audio perception and its impact on how we assess 'phones and other equipment. Another is the issue of how to purchase and test equipment. And still another concerns the qualities of the HD800 and how they impact different preferences and rigs. I'm learning a lot, and others may be, too. I'd like to see this thread continue, that is, as long as it remains civil. My 2 cents.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #133 of 169
Hi SmellyGas,

Quote:

I cannot stand what I perceive to be exaggerated highs and annoying sibilance from my HD800. Based on the magnitude of these offensive sounds that I hear, I do not believe any amplification will make them sound even tolerable.

Would it be the issue of system components matching ? Changing the interconnect cables and the DAC could help as well, IMHO. Did you find the degree of sibilance varied from record to record ?

BTW, even I listen my HD800 through my PC. It still sounds very good, no sibilance at all.
dt880smile.png

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #134 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, I disagree. When a lot of knowledgeable and experienced Head-Fiers participate in a discussion that becomes somewhat heated, it's a sign that there are key issues involved. And these issues both apply to and transcend the immediate topic. For example, one is the problem of differences in audio perception and its impact on how we assess 'phones and other equipment. Another is the issue of how to purchase and test equipment. And still another concerns the qualities of the HD800 and how they impact different preferences and rigs. I'm learning a lot, and others may be, too. I'd like to see this thread continue, that is, as long as it remains civil. My 2 cents.

I agree, civility and not pushing one's agenda are the key. I hope we behave.
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #135 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, civility and not pushing one's agenda are the key. I hope we behave.
smile.gif

Good point re "not pushing one's agenda." Probably one of the toughest rules to follow -- for anyone. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back