I'm returning my HD800's - What else should I try?
Aug 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #91 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps going to a nearby meet for you is a better idea as you're spending some big money on headphones, so there's no need to further lose unnecessary money for shipping back those headphones that you might potentially dislike. Moreover, you can see for yourself and decide whether better upstream equipment might be worth it to ya.

Where are you located?

Great suggestion, can’t hurt to hear a set-up where the HD800’s are sounding good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting that people ascribe unsatisfactory sound to faults in the recordings and leave it at that. One of the criteria I use when listening to phones is, how tolerant is it of poor recordings? Can I still listen to my less than perfect recordings, of which I have many, with pleasure, or will I be wincing on every second note? Sennheiser made a statement about the 650 strongly suggesting that they were voiced to flatter harsh recordings whilst by no means concealing the virtues of good ones, and I've found that to be the case. Now the 800 is probably a superior phone, but I would hesitate to buy it even if I had the money for fear it would reveal too much and deprive me of the pleasure of the music--which is, after all, the point, not the technical accuracy of the transducer.

Another point. Headphones generally are brighter than speakers. I guess that's for the same reason that an orchestra or band will sound brighter the closer you sit to it. Dull as the 650 may sound in comparison to other phones, it's voiced to sound like a good speaker system in a reasonably absorbent room. I believe to appreciate the naturalness of the 650 you should compare it to top grade speakers, not other headphones, and then maybe try the same trick with the HD800. That's of course if naturalness is what you're after rather than a laser treble and thundering bass.

pp312, I couldn’t agree with you more, a phone that is tolerant of lesser recordings is mandatory simply for the fun factor. IMO the HD800 makes all my collection of music sound wonderful, there has never ever been a moment where I’ve thought “gees I wish I had my 650’s back, this music sounded better with that phone” never.
Your simply deluding yourself with the HD650/HD800 comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know some people just can´t hear sibilance but do you say not even on piss poor recordings you hear sibilance on the HD 800? Mind you that is not a positive for that headphone if so. I wonder what makes some people immune to that
smily_headphones1.gif

Sibilance is a natural sounding phonomena, as one speaks I can hear sibilance in the voice. So yes the HD800 reproduce that kind of sibilance, and it sounds natural to my ears.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #92 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey ical - that's the only comparison I have come across so far between the two. If you have heard both your first-hand impressions would be most welcome as I am also quite interested in how the Ed. 8 sounds (and stack ups against the Sennheiser).

Kind regards
X

I own both. A little impression of them here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/spl...90/index2.html

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #93 of 169
Thanks very much - some nice impressions there, especially with the PS1000 in the mix too. From what you wrote there, am I correct in taking away that you find the Grado is more communicative (more emotional and dynamic) compared to the neutral Sennheiser?

Also a couple quick questions if you don't mind: a) Would you say it is more forgiving than the HD800; and b) do you consider it bright/darker in tone to the HD800?

Cheers again
X

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #94 of 169
I know that I had a sibilance problem with my HD-800s, which, being in the 500-serial number range, have more of a peak at 6.3k than ones with later serial numbers, going by the graphs people have posted. This made them unbearable to listen to until I had my Phoenix (amp) which fixed the issue. They aren't what I'd call the most exciting headphones to listen to music with, using my rig at least, so I'm getting some Grados for I'm in the mood for a more intimate sound. I did, however, also find Grado HF-1s to be irritating with the wrong source and amp. Now if only I could afford an Eddie Current Balancing Act...not that I'm unsatisfied with what I have now though.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #95 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 fanboys hear the inflated highs and call this "increased transparency." Since this supposed "transparency" makes their mediocre recordings sound worse, they call this "REVEALING" - i.e. they believe the headphones are so detailed that they can reveal flaws in the recording.

I know the treble isn't supposed to sound so exaggerated because I compare it to reference loudspeakers (and so has Skylab).

I think that that your thoughts of going to a nice STAX rig are very reasonable, especially as it will give you the added benefit of a well matched amp. If it were me, I would go for one of their tube as it will soften the top just a bit.

As to your comment above...I understand and respect that you may not like the HD800 but your comment about comparing it to high-end speaker is ridiculous. I have been an audiophile for 22 years and that is long enough for me to tell you that even in the cost unlimited range, there are MASSIVE differences between speakers. Especially in regards to the presentation of the top and and midrange.

Not cost unlimited but take a Hasen Emperor, Focal Maestro Utopia, and Wilson Maxx3 (a nice spread between $50K and $80K) and in that spread you run the range from what many would consider warm to what some would consider piercingly bright yet the industry considers these 3 of the best speakers around.

The flaw as I see it...You may like and own a 2-channel rig that is on the warm side and not like the HD800/amps you own because it is giving you a sound that is decidedly not warm.

It may by helpful to know what speakers and electronics are in you stereo.

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #96 of 169
Quote:

Thanks very much - some nice impressions there, especially with the PS1000 in the mix too. From what you wrote there, am I correct in taking away that you find the Grado is more communicative (more emotional and dynamic) compared to the neutral Sennheiser?

Also a couple quick questions if you don't mind: a) Would you say it is more forgiving than the HD800; and b) do you consider it bright/darker in tone to the HD800?

Cheers again
X

PS1000 signature does make it more involving while HD800 is more refine. Both are good in their own way. PS1000 at 32 ohm might be a little more forgiving, but it still need a good amp to deliver. As for HD800 at 300 ohm, a good amp is a must to drive it well. Yes, PS1000 is slightly darker to me.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #98 of 169
Quote:

This might be on interest - a short review of the Edition 8 with some comparative remarks to the HD800. I think that if these impressions are true the Ed. 8 may not be what you are looking for at all, for example:

- The Edition 8's are slightly brighter than the HD800's
- The HD800's seem to have better deep bass
- The HD800's are slightly softer; they are also more forgiving of bad recordings

That looks like the antithesis of what you may be after.

Crap. Well they're already coming tomorrow. This should be interesting.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #99 of 169
Quote:

After 100+ hours of burn-in, I still can't listen to my HD800's. To me, the treble sounds so harsh and exaggerated, the bass is anemic, and there is horrible sibilance where there shouldn't be. I've already tried multiple amps, including my Audiotailor Jade, Lehmann BCL clone, modded OBH-11, and a cheapo Sony receiver, as well as 3 different DAC's (Yulong DAH1, M-Audio audiophile USB, and Asus Forte built-in). In comparison, my HD650 swapped in on the same equipment does not have the problems with weak bass, exaggerated/sibilant highs, etc. on the same material.

Before you're tempted to chalk all of this up to my "inferior amps," keep in mind that Skylab has reported near identical observations with the HD800 and he was using a SinglePower Extreme (>$1000?), Decware CSP-2 ($800), Graham Slee SRG ($500), etc. The Lehmann BCL is the amp selected by Sennheiser at some of their HD800 exhibition booths, and a responder below has reported that he/she was not happy with the sound either. One of my amps is a clone of the BCL as well.

I realize this is blasphemy, especially given the Stereophile review and all the "best ever" press there is out there. MAYBE I got a bad unit. Maybe the particular HRTF of my ears doesn't match up with the intention of the Sennheiser people. Regardless, I can't pay $1400 for headphones that sound like THAT. So they're going back.

What else should I try out? So far, I've ordered the Ultrasone Ed 8 and the Grado PS1000.

People always say how good the cans/amps are, actually for you,some are not really that good as described. You may start from trying some cheaper ones, I like hd600s with DK3322 better than the rest I have.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #100 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People always say how good the cans/amps are, actually for you,some are not really that good as described. You may start from trying some cheaper ones, I like hd600s with DK3322 better than the rest I have.

So I should ditch my HD650's for the HD600? That's a new one.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #101 of 169
Quote:

That's a new one

SmellyGas - I am not quite sure why the negative/condescending attitude. He/she made a valid comment, essentially saying that people often recommened what they own (or have heard) but that for your system/tastes they may not be ideal. The 650 vs 600 is, in fact, not new by any means. A quick search will yield many threads where people highly prefer the HD600 over the HD650 (it is a perpetual source of heated debates actually).

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #102 of 169
Quote:

So I should ditch my HD650's for the HD600? That's a new one.

Adding to the mix, I personally didn't like the HD650 until I went balanced. So that's another route you can perhaps look into.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #103 of 169
Quote:

SmellyGas - I am not quite sure why the negative/condescending attitude. He/she made a valid comment, essentially saying that people often recommened what they own (or have heard) but that for your system/tastes they may not be ideal. The 650 vs 600 is, in fact, not new by any means. A quick search will yield many threads where people highly prefer the HD600 over the HD650 (it is a perpetual source of heated debates actually).

Oh okay, didn't know that. In the interest of time, I'd like to try out phones that have a high likelihood of sounding a lot better than the HD650. My understanding is that the HD580/600/650 have a lot of similarities. I certainly didn't notice a big difference between the 580/650 myself. However, I realize people will disagree.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #104 of 169
I personally believe (from auditioning both the hd800 and the edition 8) the edition 8 doesn't even come close to touching the hd800 in the clarity, soundstage, airiness, detail, or musical immersion.

The d7000 and dx1000, to me, are certainly much better cans than the edition 8.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #105 of 169
Okay so then you can rule out the HD 800 and the HD 600/650. Try and remember the Ultrasones requires tons of burn in. At least their previous models with the titanium drivers. Maybe they are wise and do it in the factory for the ED 8. Something you should get for the 1400$ pricetag
wink.gif

Would still be interesting to hear what you think of the german maestros headphones as mentioned. May seem to cheap but you may be surprised. I really really can´t see how anyone could possible hate them so a safe bet that way
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back