I'm returning my HD800's - What else should I try?
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

SmellyGas

100+ Head-Fier
After 100+ hours of burn-in, I still can't listen to my HD800's. To me, the treble sounds so harsh and exaggerated, the bass is anemic, and there is horrible sibilance where there shouldn't be. I've already tried multiple amps, including my Audiotailor Jade, Lehmann BCL clone, modded OBH-11, and a cheapo Sony receiver, as well as 3 different DAC's (Yulong DAH1, M-Audio audiophile USB, and Asus Forte built-in). In comparison, my HD650 swapped in on the same equipment does not have the problems with weak bass, exaggerated/sibilant highs, etc. on the same material.

Before you're tempted to chalk all of this up to my "inferior amps," keep in mind that Skylab has reported near identical observations with the HD800 and he was using a SinglePower Extreme (>$1000?), Decware CSP-2 ($800), Graham Slee SRG ($500), etc. The Lehmann BCL is the amp selected by Sennheiser at some of their HD800 exhibition booths, and a responder below has reported that he/she was not happy with the sound either. One of my amps is a clone of the BCL as well.

I realize this is blasphemy, especially given the Stereophile review and all the "best ever" press there is out there. MAYBE I got a bad unit. Maybe the particular HRTF of my ears doesn't match up with the intention of the Sennheiser people. Regardless, I can't pay $1400 for headphones that sound like THAT. So they're going back.

What else should I try out? So far, I've ordered the Ultrasone Ed 8 and the Grado PS1000.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What else should I try out? So far, I've ordered the Ultrasone Ed 8 and the Grado PS1000.

I believe you answered your own question.
darthsmile.gif

I think you should get a better amp and source, high-end gear are known to be very picky, especially the hd800 which is very transparent.

I have the same issue with my k601 but i keep' em because i believe i need higher gear to make them sing.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 169
Well... Did u consider that spending $1400 on phones you might want to run them out of a similar priced headphone amp and source..??

I personally would prefer the closed Ed.8 over the HD800, not that i have anything against Senny's. Closed is my thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 169
A Stax SR-007MK2 (A) maybe?
..or one of the out-of-production regarded headphones? Like K1000, R10, PS-1, HP1000, ...

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Stax SR-007MK2 (A) maybe?
..or one of the out-of-production regarded headphones? Like K1000, R10, PS-1, HP1000, ...

x2, a genius has spoken
o2smile.gif

I have also had problems with getting an involving sound from the HD800's, also have tried many amps (Leben CS3000x, Lehmann BCL, Graham Slee Solo SRG, Custom Siemens C3g...) and the rendering has been consistently inferior to the K1000's and not even in the same league as the O2's. I want to try a few other amps before I sell them, but I doubt I will be surprised.....

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 169
Apart from trying better DAC's and amps, there's something the HD800 won't forgive, which is bad recordings. I'm amazed how the very same sound ranges from annoying to "simply right" depending on the recording. Things like /s/, /z/, /t/ consonants, snare drum hard hits, trumpet high notes, and so on, can sound very different depending on the recording using the HD800.
It's true that the cans aren't perfect and one of their defects is the tendency to make badly recorded sounds more annoying than they should, on this the O2 are more... well, forgiving? Anyway, try more gear with them, but if your music tastes include many poor recordings, look for other options.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 100+ hours of burn-in, I still can't listen to my HD800's. To me, the treble sounds so harsh and exaggerated, the bass is anemic, and there is horrible sibilance where there shouldn't be. I've already tried multiple amps, including my Audiotailor Jade, Lehmann BCL clone, modded OBH-11, and a cheapo Sony receiver, as well as 3 different DAC's (Yulong DAH1, M-Audio audiophile USB, and Asus Forte built-in). In comparison, my HD650 swapped in on the same equipment does not have the problems with weak bass, exaggerated/sibilant highs, etc. on the same material.

I realize this is blasphemy, especially given the Stereophile review and all the "best ever" press there is out there. MAYBE I got a bad unit. Maybe the particular HRTF of my ears doesn't match up with the intention of the Sennheiser people. Regardless, I can't pay $1400 for headphones that sound like THAT. So they're going back.

You simply shouldn´t try headphones built for studio use or being true to the recordings
smily_headphones1.gif

Try something softer like something from the German Maestro line. Or the older sennheisers for that matter. Though the HD 650 kills the music in the process but you surely want be annoyed by any harsh treble or sibilance. 8.35D monitors do that trick but with much better balance and tone. And you will only have to pick great sources for it
smily_headphones1.gif

As an owner of the Pro 900 it´s striking how many of the HD 800 comments apply to the 750 and the 900. 900 is generally not excused for anemic bass like the 750 though. But that is due to the 750 being more neutral then unmodded 900s. sibilance? Yes, harsh treble sometimes, sometimes smooth as nothing else
smily_headphones1.gif

I don´t know about the ED 8 though. I would be careful with the ultrasones with the titanium drivers anyway. Why are you feeling you have to by headphones for 1500$ btw? As much as I love my 450$ Pro 900s I can´t ignore how good the 8.35D monitors sound for a fraction of the cost
wink.gif
. And I have tried 1400$ headphones which just didn´t put things right either.

However if you stick to it you may start finding what they do good.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You simply shouldn´t try headphones built for studio use or being true to the recordings
smily_headphones1.gif

Try something softer like something from the German Maestro line. Or the older sennheisers for that matter. Though the HD 650 kills the music in the process but you surely want be annoyed by any harsh treble or sibilance. 8.35D monitors do that trick but with much better balance and tone. And you will only have to pick great sources for it
smily_headphones1.gif

I will vouch for it...

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 169
It's the amps you're using. Look at the HD-800's impedance curve - it wants a lot more power for the low notes than the HD-650. I found the HD-800 to have cleaner and deeper bass than the HD-650 - one reason I sold the HD-650.

I can tell you from personal experience that the OBH-11 doesn't drive the HD-650 especially well. I assume you upgraded its caps, etc., but the thing still puts out (IIRC) 85mW. That's not really enough to get the best out of the HD-650, let alone the HD-800.

Also, weak amps tend to show up with problems in the low end, because bigger cone movements need more power. If you lack power, the bass will get anemic and throw the tonal balance off.

If you go back a few years, you'll find the same exact complaints about the K-1000. A lot of people were running them off completely the wrong amps and then pissing and whining about lack of bass, etc.

This also touches on the weird amp equivalency at Head-Fi. People seem to run in fear at understanding what goes on inside the box. That's how you end up with assumptions that putting Black Gates into any box instantly takes it to the high end.

Take some time to do your homework on amps. One with adequate power will give you the HD-800 you were expecting.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the amps you're using. Look at the HD-800's impedance curve - it wants a lot more power for the low notes than the HD-650.

Actually, this isn't exactly correct. The impedance of the HD800 is actually higher than the HD650 from 10Hz through 200Hz+, which means the HD800 is actually easier to drive and requires LESS power.

Quote:

I can tell you from personal experience that the OBH-11 doesn't drive the HD-650 especially well. I assume you upgraded its caps, etc., but the thing still puts out (IIRC) 85mW. That's not really enough to get the best out of the HD-650, let alone the HD-800.

I didn't listen to the OBH-11 very much. I only whipped it out to confirm my impressions based on the other amps.

Quote:

Take some time to do your homework on amps. One with adequate power will give you the HD-800 you were expecting.

If you look at other replies, one user was not happy with his/her HD800 and was using a Lehmann BCL. Remember, Sennheiser used the BCL at one of its big public events. One of my amps uses a clone of the BCL amp as well. Perhaps even more importantly, Skylab had disturbingly similar criticisms of the HD800 (see link in the OP), and he was using $1200 amps.

So once again, no, I don't think it was the amps.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 169
Somebody already said that - the sources you were using are mediocre, not suitable for such headphones. However I didn't fall in love with the HD800's, either. I find the Grado PS1000 as simply better and more interesting overall, say - magic. The Edition 8 is something I'd expect to fit my needs better than the HD800's as well. For me the HD800's didn't beat the Edition 9's so the younger brother, said to be better, should feel safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back