I'm returning my HD800's - What else should I try?
Aug 17, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #136 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SmellyGas, good point. But you sound like an intelligent person who must be aware of the normal curve, which we apply to human populations.

Thanks, but I must be a complete buffoon, given my inability to recognize the sonic purity that is the HD800. Everybody knows the HD800's are the best headphones out there, and anybody who hears sibilance and exaggerated highs either has wax blocking his ear canals or is using a defective amplifier. Nobody is capable of understanding that headphones are designed to sound good to a large portion of ear canals and pinnas, but will never sound good to 100% of the population, dude to the variation in human anatomy.

The way people reason here is that if someone doesn't think the HD800's sound good, he's either a bumbling idiot or his equipment is crap. If you look at all the new posts on this thread, one-by-one the fanboys will trickle in and reiterate this latter point, like a robot that is programmed to only say one thing. People are so predictable.

Thank you for being one of the few people to understand the point I tried to make earlier.
[/QUOTE]

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #137 of 169
My sincere appreciation to everyone who made headphone suggestions and respected my opinion about what I heard from the HD800. Here is what I plan on doing based on your input:

- the Ed8's are coming next week, and I'll give them a listen
- the PS1000's are coming in a week or two, and I'll give them a listen too
- I'm sending back the HD800's, unless by some miracle, they get a LOT better with more break-in
- the Stax SR-007's are coming in a week or two (second hand), and I'll give them a listen using a budget Stax amp.

I'll keep the one I like and I'll either ebay or return the ones I don't. If I don't really like any of them, then I'll buy the DX1000's - which have been highly recommended, just hard to get. I wish I could include the DX1000's in the comparison, but it's just not practical. At the request of a couple of people, I'll post what I hear.

For those of you who have already made up your mind that my ears are defective and/or my equipment (including my amps) are inferior and not worthy of any of these headphones, you are very welcome NOT to read my opinions. Chances are, you won't agree with what I write anyway, so don't waste your time (and mine). Thanks.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #138 of 169
Some months ago I tried a pair of Denon AHD-7000s. They are very popular headphones on this forum. I was interested in trying three or four different phones but couldn't make up my mind...so I started a poll and let the forum pick for me. I ordered them from Headroom and had them the next day.

As it turns out I hated AHD-7000s! I won't go into all the reasons why I didn't like them, but I will say that they were perhaps the worst headphones I have ever heard. Some suggested that maybe my amp wasn't a good match for the Denons. Perhaps, but since I was very happy with my amp and totally dissatisfied with the Denons it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was going to happen next. I sold AHD-7000s and within a few days they were gone (a return never occurred to me at the time). The person who bought them from me loved them! I was happy they were gone, and was also happy they landed in the hands of someone who could appreciate them.

The point is that no one giving you advice has heard the HD800s in your system with your sources. It may turn out that there is an issue in your setup that, once resolved, the HD800s will purr like a kitten. Or, it may turn out that you simply don't like the HD800s, just like I didn't like the Denons. In the case of the former it can take some money and detective work to get to the bottom of a setup issue. In the case of the latter, it is really a waste of everyone's time (both yours and people who are responding to you) to argue about it. If you just don't like the HD800s, then no amount of money you spend on a new amp and sources is going to make them sound more to your liking. It is the sonic performance of the phones themselves that you find objectionable. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if someone thinks that you do or don't know what you are hearing, that you should buy a new amp or source, or whatever. It is your money and you decide how you are going to spend it. You don't owe anyone here a reponse, though it would be nice to thank people for advice that you find helpful (I don't know if you have been doing that all along because I have not read through the entire thread). If people are getting on your nerves then ignore them. Barking back at them only makes them more argumentative. If you find ignoring posts that difficult then consider adding them to your ignore list. There are about 15 members on mine and believe me when I tell you that I don't miss reading posts from any of them one bit.

Good luck.

--Jerome

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #139 of 169
Regardless of your beliefs about amps, scaling, etc. and I know that as a frequenter of the Sound Science forum you probably don't think a higher end amp or source would make a difference, the SR-007 do require much more power to drive them than dynamics and using the 717 is the bare minimum in terms of hearing what they're capable of. I unfortunately have not been able to listen to them for very long on a Blue Hawaii or other super high end amp so I won't say how much of a difference moving from a 717 to a higher end amp would make.

Also, I have heard that little dot is making a new stax amp that's supposed to match the 717 for half the price, but I haven't heard it. There are other non-stax options but I'm not the biggest Stax fan so I am not intimately familiar with them.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #141 of 169
Hi SmellyGas

After reading through this thread, I think you are making too much out of a few responses which think your equipments are "mediocre". I don't see anyone saying your equipments are "crap" or calling you a "bumbling idiot". Think many of your responses over-generalized HD800 owners as "fanboys" and that they are out to get you, which irritated some of the guys here.

Having said that, I have heard the HD800, PS1000, and ED8. I heard them on my friend's setups, and on my own. I chose the HD800 because they sound best on rig and I like its signature. The PS1000 and ED8 sound great on my friend's rig, but somehow not that great on mine.

Since the HD800 does not work for you, hopefully you have better luck with the PS1000 and ED8.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #142 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but I must be a complete buffoon, given my inability to recognize the sonic purity that is the HD800. Everybody knows the HD800's are the best headphones out there, and anybody who hears sibilance and exaggerated highs either has wax blocking his ear canals or is using a defective amplifier. Nobody is capable of understanding that headphones are designed to sound good to a large portion of ear canals and pinnas, but will never sound good to 100% of the population, dude to the variation in human anatomy.

The way people reason here is that if someone doesn't think the HD800's sound good, he's either a bumbling idiot or his equipment is crap. If you look at all the new posts on this thread, one-by-one the fanboys will trickle in and reiterate this latter point, like a robot that is programmed to only say one thing. People are so predictable.

Thank you for being one of the few people to understand the point I tried to make earlier.

[/QUOTE]

You are wrong and you mischaracterize people who put in time and thought to help you.

No headphone is for everyone. Every last member understands that.

Instead of accepting or considering suggestions, you took them as personal criticism. Then you decided it best to insult people who posted advice.

Look at your post above. It's filled with insults.

You either misunderstand the point of people trying to offer suggestions or you are enjoying the attention and reactions you're getting.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #143 of 169
[DELETED]

It would be better to have face-to-face conversation.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #145 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm one of the few that didn't care for the HD800. I think the L3000 is a big step up. Now watch, the next post will be by someone who says the L3000 is one of the worst headphones they've heard. So this discredits my opinion.

My main issue with the HD800 is the overall sound didn't move me. I want an enjoyable headphone, but doesn't have to be technically the best. For me the L3000, is still a fun headphone while having best technical abilities over most headphones I've listened to. Now I'm not recommending them because of their current price and they are hard to find. But if you have the money, it might be something to try.

There were other AT models I liked but I don't know the model. I'm also a big fan of the RS-1 and PS-1. I won't get a chance to hear the PS1000 until my next local meet so I'd don't know if these really are the best. Maybe try to find an HP-2. Or how about a K1000. Not sure these are what I'd call fun but they both of great sound.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #147 of 169
Uncle Erik;5938417 said:
Quote:

No headphone is for everyone. Every last member understands that.

Then why do you, in particular, seem to have have a hard time accepting this? Why do you keep telling me that it's my amplifier and equipment? Why can't you understand that I do not like the way these headphones sound, that I have the exact same complaint as many others do about the treble, and that it's NOT my amplifier and equipment?

Quote:

Then you decided it best to insult people who posted advice.

That's a big hypocritical, coming from someone who repeatedly insults my equipment, then accuses me of being a troll for posting my honest assessments of the HD800, none of which hasn't been reported by others on this forum.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #148 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The L3000 is the worst headphone I have ever heard. Anybody that likes it must have a frontal lobe tumor.

or an 8th nerve palsy

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #149 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of the few that didn't care for the HD800. I think the L3000 is a big step up. Now watch, the next post will be by someone who says the L3000 is one of the worst headphones they've heard. So this discredits my opinion.

My main issue with the HD800 is the overall sound didn't move me. I want an enjoyable headphone, but doesn't have to be technically the best. For me the L3000, is still a fun headphone while having best technical abilities over most headphones I've listened to. Now I'm not recommending them because of their current price and they are hard to find. But if you have the money, it might be something to try.

There were other AT models I liked but I don't know the model. I'm also a big fan of the RS-1 and PS-1. I won't get a chance to hear the PS1000 until my next local meet so I'd don't know if these really are the best. Maybe try to find an HP-2. Or how about a K1000. Not sure these are what I'd call fun but they both of great sound.

Thanks for the impressions.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #150 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kachui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi SmellyGas

After reading through this thread, I think you are making too much out of a few responses which think your equipments are "mediocre". I don't see anyone saying your equipments are "crap" or calling you a "bumbling idiot". Think many of your responses over-generalized HD800 owners as "fanboys" and that they are out to get you, which irritated some of the guys here.

In looking back at the responses here, the most common theme has been that my equipment is inferior, and this is why I'm hearing the exaggerated treble and sibilance. It gets very old. Nobody has overtly used the word "crap" or "bumbling idiot," but you and I both know these sentiments are implied by my alleged inability to recognize that the HD800 cannot be to blame, it's obviously my equipment! Yes, there are fanboys here - it's obvious. And the irritation from the fanboys comes from somebody writing unfavorable remarks about their beloved headphones as well as my refusal to spend thousands of dollars upgrading my equipment with the unlikely result of me actually hearing a substantial improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back