I'm lost, any help? (Headphone Recommendation)
May 28, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 27
I heard the Sony Z7, and I love them... Unluckily enough I cannot find them anywhere now. Those ZMF Aeolus seem ridiculously good. I have heard and seen very good things about them. I just hope that being in Europe won't make that big of a difference. If I wanna audition the ZMFs I have to go to the UK, and I'm in Italy. Thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a deep look at them both.

We have a dealer in Netherlands (HiFiSolutions) and one in Germany (Headphone Company) not sure if those are close enough to get to, definitely call them to make sure they can do demos etc as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 28, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 27
I was not too impressed with the Z7. It seemed kind of muddy in the bass and lacked clarity in the mids especially. This is compared to the M565 and HE-560. It could just be that it didn't pair well with my system. I ended up selling it yesterday.

It can definitely be confusing with all the choices. I have always just kept on trying headphones and either selling or returning them. But that is all part of the game and I have really enjoyed the journey it has taken me on.
Of all the headphones I own, the headphone I like the least is the Z7. As stated above, the bass is bloated and the treble is just weird. It’s splashy and the cymbals NEVER sound like a cymbal should sound like. Seriously, If you’ve read and heard many great things about the Aeolus and have the cash, I’ll confirm you should believe everything you’ve heard about them because I own them. But your ears are yours so it’s all up to you.
Like I said, they’re perfect for my tinnitus. They’re a top of the line headphone for less then 1/2 the price. This isn’t fanboy talk either, they’re that good.
Good luck with whatever you decide on. Just make sure it’s the Aeolus. :o2smile:

Edit: Do you like Z reviews on YouTube? I’ll leave my opinion to myself about him but just watch his review of the Aeolus. It’s one review I couldn't agree with more.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 27
f... I wanted to tell another thing: I am SET on the ZMF, they just seem like they were made for me. Germany is not TOO far away from my position, so I think I could be getting there sometime. The Z7, as you guys mentioned, do have strange treble but that didn't seem to bother me much back then, but now it surely does. Thanks again!

May 28, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 27
f... I wanted to tell another thing: I am SET on the ZMF, they just seem like they were made for me. Germany is not TOO far away from my position, so I think I could be getting there sometime. The Z7, as you guys mentioned, do have strange treble but that didn't seem to bother me much back then, but now it surely does. Thanks again!
I don’t think you will be disappointed as I have heard almost all of the ZMF line and can’t say that anyone of them was bad just one I liked more than the other. The one thing that is a bit strange is that I don’t own one yet ; ) Unless something comes up I will own a Verite by the end of the year ( bonus time ) as it is a world class headphone that just sounds fantastic.

May 31, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #21 of 27
I don’t think you will be disappointed as I have heard almost all of the ZMF line and can’t say that anyone of them was bad just one I liked more than the other. The one thing that is a bit strange is that I don’t own one yet ; ) Unless something comes up I will own a Verite by the end of the year ( bonus time ) as it is a world class headphone that just sounds fantastic.
Well then, lucky you!

May 31, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 27
Have not heard the ZMF-Aeolus, but I can absolutely recommend the ZMF-Atticus or LCD-2 for a warmer headphone that does not sacrifice any detail. They can both be had for a lot less than 1k now :)

The Sony MDR-Z7 is incredibly comfortable and well built, but I also found the sound to be off (muddy and wonky treble as mentioned above).

edit: I've only heard the MDR-Z7m1 and not the m2

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #23 of 27
... (since it's my very last headphone)

I try to pull that mind trick on myself all the time but over time it is getting less and less effective :) :) :) :)

On a more serious note:
I think you've got the wrong approach buddy. Seems like you have a very specific taste and asking people who know nothing about you and your needs is not really going to help you much.

Try to find some good headphone shops and go listen to headphones by yourself with your own music (bring CD's, a DAP, etc. ...) or at least bring a list of your music, maybe the shop can play it for you. That will get you much closer to finding headphones that suit your needs. Maybe try some Audeze or Hifiman headphones - might suit your taste better.

Alternatively an equalizer (hard- or software) or some other tools to adapt the sound might be the way to go for you.

Cheers and all the best on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #24 of 27
I try to pull that mind trick on myself all the time but over time it is getting less and less effective :) :) :) :)

On a more serious note:
I think you've got the wrong approach buddy. Seems like you have a very specific taste and asking people who know nothing about you and your needs is not really going to help you much.

Try to find some good headphone shops and go listen to headphones by yourself with your own music (bring CD's, a DAP, etc. ...) or at least bring a list of your music, maybe the shop can play it for you. That will get you much closer to finding headphones that suit your needs. Maybe try some Audeze or Hifiman headphones - might suit your taste better.

Alternatively an equalizer (hard- or software) or some other tools to adapt the sound might be the way to go for you.

Cheers and all the best on your headphone journey :)
In fact, I've said this: If you want some more information, please just ask me
And I've also posted what my sound preferences are, my kind of music (my in the very meaning of it). So, please, do not skip lines between reading.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 27
Have not heard the ZMF-Aeolus, but I can absolutely recommend the ZMF-Atticus or LCD-2 for a warmer headphone that does not sacrifice any detail. They can both be had for a lot less than 1k now :)

The Sony MDR-Z7 is incredibly comfortable and well built, but I also found the sound to be off (muddy and wonky treble as mentioned above).

edit: I've only heard the MDR-Z7m1 and not the m2
Yes, I was yesterday at a shop very far from me, "Hi-Fi Natali", and I heard the LCD-2 but I still wanna wait and audition the ZMF Aeolus.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #26 of 27
In fact, I've said this: If you want some more information, please just ask me
And I've also posted what my sound preferences are, my kind of music (my in the very meaning of it). So, please, do not skip lines between reading.
I'm not going to beat a dead horse into the ground so I won't respond after this for the sake of being redundant.
Again, I have in my estimation a medium type grade of Tinnitus. Not sure where you're at with yours but finding headphones that suite your tastes and to alleviate the ringing (getting worse too when listening) is difficult. You say you were going somewhere to audition some headphones but it doesn't look like they have a full line-up so that now makes it doubly difficult because you'll miss out with a lot that's out there.

With my Tinnitus, I've found that the ZMF line is great for build quality, customer service, workmanship, warranty work if needed and most importantly quality sound. And my Tinnitus is bothered less with any ZMF headphone due to the way they're tuned. They're smooth, detailed, colored more to the warm side, great bass and smooth treble. The mids are spot on and I'm talking about everything Zach manufactures himself "by hand" one at a time. You have a budget of $1000. That's pretty good and you can get quite a bit of headphone with that budget.

I owned the ZMF Atticus and it just killed. Probably everything you're looking for but it's a closed back. Then the Aeolus which is basically an Atticus but it's an open back . In my most humble opinion, it's a lot better. Just a killer sound. Beautiful too. This headphone punches WAY above it's price-point and competes with headphones double it's price.

Also, the ZMF Ori/Omni (which I also own) which I believe that one is up for sale right now in the classifieds for about $500. Another awesome headphone that's great for my Tinnitus and just kills it.
Man, I could go on forever about ZMF but it's your cash, your ears, your taste, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's too bad you can't check them out because I truly believe from what you "describe" you'd really like what this brand sounds like end to end.

I also own the Klipsch Heritage HP3 but that's another long story. A GREAT headphone that's underappreciate that contains many of the attributes your looking for. If you want any info about these, just PM me. The Audeze LCD2 classic could be another choice IMO it doesn't come close to anything ZMF.
It sounds like I'm a ZMF fanboy and maybe I am. If you REALLY like something, you're a fan and I'm male? :) The Aeolus truly is a very solid choice if interested. If you don't like it (which I'd be hard pressed to think you wouldn't) they sell really fast when they do come up in the classifieds.

Anyway, it doesn't look like you've jumped on anything yet so good luck to you in the hunt. Please be sure to update us on whatever you choose to suite "YOUR' needs and preferences.

Regards

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 27
I'm not going to beat a dead horse into the ground so I won't respond after this for the sake of being redundant.
Again, I have in my estimation a medium type grade of Tinnitus. Not sure where you're at with yours but finding headphones that suite your tastes and to alleviate the ringing (getting worse too when listening) is difficult. You say you were going somewhere to audition some headphones but it doesn't look like they have a full line-up so that now makes it doubly difficult because you'll miss out with a lot that's out there.

With my Tinnitus, I've found that the ZMF line is great for build quality, customer service, workmanship, warranty work if needed and most importantly quality sound. And my Tinnitus is bothered less with any ZMF headphone due to the way they're tuned. They're smooth, detailed, colored more to the warm side, great bass and smooth treble. The mids are spot on and I'm talking about everything Zach manufactures himself "by hand" one at a time. You have a budget of $1000. That's pretty good and you can get quite a bit of headphone with that budget.

I owned the ZMF Atticus and it just killed. Probably everything you're looking for but it's a closed back. Then the Aeolus which is basically an Atticus but it's an open back . In my most humble opinion, it's a lot better. Just a killer sound. Beautiful too. This headphone punches WAY above it's price-point and competes with headphones double it's price.

Also, the ZMF Ori/Omni (which I also own) which I believe that one is up for sale right now in the classifieds for about $500. Another awesome headphone that's great for my Tinnitus and just kills it.
Man, I could go on forever about ZMF but it's your cash, your ears, your taste, yadda, yadda, yadda. It's too bad you can't check them out because I truly believe from what you "describe" you'd really like what this brand sounds like end to end.

I also own the Klipsch Heritage HP3 but that's another long story. A GREAT headphone that's underappreciate that contains many of the attributes your looking for. If you want any info about these, just PM me. The Audeze LCD2 classic could be another choice IMO it doesn't come close to anything ZMF.
It sounds like I'm a ZMF fanboy and maybe I am. If you REALLY like something, you're a fan and I'm male? :) The Aeolus truly is a very solid choice if interested. If you don't like it (which I'd be hard pressed to think you wouldn't) they sell really fast when they do come up in the classifieds.

Anyway, it doesn't look like you've jumped on anything yet so good luck to you in the hunt. Please be sure to update us on whatever you choose to suite "YOUR' needs and preferences.

Regards

I wonder what you meant with that first phrase.
Anyway I've auditioned the ZMF Aeolus and they're EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks again everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back