1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I'm lost, any help? (Headphone Recommendation)

Next

Last
  1. Pinkomeno
    So, I was listening through my DT 1990 plugged into an Aune X1S until I noticed a few things:
    -These headphones are for mixing and mastering, NOT to listen to music (IMHO).
    -I have tinnitus problems and the highs on these beasts are just... Shrimmingly bright.
    -Bass is just a tad laid back.
    So I decided to search on the forums for people who had the same experience as mine and I found no one having it. I would like you to help me decide on my alternative pair of headphones so that when I want to listen to music I'll use these, and when I want to go back to my "work" I'll use my DT 1990. My tastes are very strange, apparently. I like big massive sub bass (not LOUD) with a "chesty" sound. Also dryness is a big problem for me, if my current pair of headphones weren't as dry as they are they would be a god bless but, since they are the exact opposite, my ears bleed sometimes. If you want some more information, please just ask me. Here's an example of what I listen to (don't kill me pliz): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3627w3kkduv4act/myfirstheadfipost.wav?dl=0
    Thanks in advice!

2. koover
    Well I'm in the same boat as you. I have tinnitus and have quite a few headphones.....just because of this impairment to put it quite bluntly.
    Budget is very important, so give us an idea on how much you want to throw at a headphone please.

3. Pinkomeno
    Budget is pretty high, around 1000 (since it's my very last headphone)

4. nordkapp
    Sony Z7/Z7 MKII. Either one will easily meet your intended objectives.

5. koover
    One headphone I own is the ZMF Aeolus. It's an open back and it's brother is the Atticus which is a closed back. It possess many of the attributes you're looking for and it's one of the better HP's I own for my Tinnitus as it's really smooth, detailed with great bass depth. I wouldn't say the bass is "massive" per say but it's pretty darn good and it's quality. You're amp/DAC should have no issue driving them but it may be a bit over your budget at $1199.99 but well worth it. There's been a few in the classifieds for about $1K seeing they just came out. There is a wait for them as Zach builds each one by hand and he's got quite a backlog of orders but again, well worth the wait if you want new and this is something you're interested in. Take a few moments and read up on it.

6. Pinkomeno
    I heard the Sony Z7, and I love them... Unluckily enough I cannot find them anywhere now. Those ZMF Aeolus seem ridiculously good. I have heard and seen very good things about them. I just hope that being in Europe won't make that big of a difference. If I wanna audition the ZMFs I have to go to the UK, and I'm in Italy. Thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a deep look at them both.

7. nordkapp
    There is a pair for sale now on US Audiomart.
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649520114-sony-mdr-z7/
    Or get the mk2.......

8. Pinkomeno
    Wow that's... Amazing to say the least. Thanks!

nordkapp likes this.
  9. squeakez
    I don't have tinnitus but I did have surgery on my right ear last year that has left me very sensitive to high frequencies. I found a headphone that I think is amazing - has deep subbass, beautiful mids and highs that don't irritate. It is open-back and very underrated, at least on Head-fi. It is the Monoprice M565 and can be had new for around $150. I use ZMF protein leather pads over the stock pads to make it over ear instead of on ear. I ended up selling several higher end headphones because it blew all of them out of the water for me - EMU Teak Lawton Level I & II, Campfire Audio Cascade, Denon D7200, AKG K812, and ZMF Eikon. At that price, it might be worth giving them a shot.

10. ebjarrell
    LOL, ohhhhh how many times I've seen that comment thrown out the window.

11. Pinkomeno
    I would like to offend you xD
    But no, seriously. This is my LAST, then I'll move onto speakers ;P

12. Pinkomeno
    Well, I've gotta be honest with you, I don't like Monoprice in general... Their QC is "out of the windows", so I heard.

13. squeakez
    I have owned the Monoprice M1060 as well and it was built beautifully. I actually have become a huge Monoprice fanboy. The M565s are my favorite headphone I have ever owned. Please check my Profile to see all the headphones I have owned over the past 8 years. Right now the M565 can be had for $99 on eBay. That is a screaming deal for sure.

14. Pinkomeno
    I can see an MDR Z7, how is it?
    By the way, I must say this: f*aaak... I was about to set on the ZMF Aeolus but right now I'm more confused than ever xD
    I am going to Firenze in 2 days and there I will be able to listen to: HD 650, LCD (pretty much all of them) and the MDR Z7, gonna update my opinion eventually to help out others in the same boat as me.

15. squeakez
    I was not too impressed with the Z7. It seemed kind of muddy in the bass and lacked clarity in the mids especially. This is compared to the M565 and HE-560. It could just be that it didn't pair well with my system. I ended up selling it yesterday.

It can definitely be confusing with all the choices. I have always just kept on trying headphones and either selling or returning them. But that is all part of the game and I have really enjoyed the journey it has taken me on.

Next

Last