iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #3,946 of 9,047
long time Octo iFi micro iDSD owner here, back to contribute a bit more in coming days about the iFi iPower.
and also my impressions (not a review) of iDSD+iCAN+iTube trio with HE-560s.

as to the 3D feature-
find my preference for 3D being on (or off) really depends on the recording of the music, whether on full sized cans (HE-560s, HE-400i) or IEMs.

with UM3X IEMs feel that 3D gives it a bit of treble lift and cohesiveness, even if the "middle" of the audio space (in front of my eyes/forehead) is increased a bit.
open headphones that already have a more natural soundstage the 3D effect isn't always desirable.

the same could be said with XBass IMO- really depends on the headphone or IEM pairing.

to date, the iFi micro iDSD remains the most flexible piece of audio gear I've tried.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,947 of 9,047
Give the 3D some time :). Granted, I was unsure on it to start, it seems bright, and I had to reduce the treble a little to compensate, but other than that it is very organic IMO. It gives a presentation more similar to speakers, which is ideal-as that's what music is almost always mixed for-and actually produces a real out of head soundstage. It also highlights details and gives instruments and female vocals a more realistic timbre. I can't listen to headphones without it now. Without it, music sounds dark, closed in, bland and flat. So give it some time, let your ears adjust and you should come to love it!

Actually i felt the same about 3D, it felt bright, but it sounded more detailed :) But i dont know if its real or not. I use iem match to calibrate the treble a bit. And at 12-3 clock it sounded good. But 3d off it sounded good to, the details were still there.
Other option is put xbass of, but most of the cases leaving it on warms up the sound. My question is: which one is real? With acoustic music, 3d had a lot of separation but dont know if its real. With it off was good to.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #3,948 of 9,047
long time Octo iFi micro iDSD owner here, back to contribute a bit more in coming days about the iFi iPower.

as to the 3D feature-
find my preference for 3D being on (or off) really depends on the recording of the music, whether on full sized cans (HE-560s, HE-400i) or IEMs.

with UM3X IEMs feel that 3D gives it a bit of treble lift and cohesiveness, even if the "middle" of the audio space (in front of my eyes/forehead) is increased a bit.
open headphones that already have a more natural soundstage the 3D effect isn't always desirable.

the same could be said with XBass IMO- really depends on the headphone or IEM pairing.

to date, the iFi micro iDSD remains the most flexible piece of audio gear I've tried.

Where is your observation on idsd>itube>ican? On your he 560 review?

Thanks

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,949 of 9,047
Where is your observation on idsd>itube>ican? On your he 560 review?

Thanks

observations of the iFi trio are coming in the next few days.

first need to do a small write up of the iFi iPower.....

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,950 of 9,047

observations of the iFi trio are coming in the next few days.

first need to do a small write up of the iFi iPower.....

ok, let me notice then.
cheers
L3000.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,951 of 9,047

as to the 3D feature-

Admittedly, I no longer own a pair of over ear headphones, I only have IEM's these days. Perhaps that's why I regard it so highly. :) I can certainly appreciate that with naturally staged headphones the 3D would not be so desirable.

Actually i felt the same about 3D, it felt bright, but it sounded more detailed
smily_headphones1.gif
But i dont know if its real or not. I use iem match to calibrate the treble a bit. And at 12-3 clock it sounded good. But 3d off it sounded good to, the details were still there.
Other option is put xbass of, but most of the cases leaving it on warms up the sound. My question is: which one is real? With acoustic music, 3d had a lot of separation but dont know if its real. With it off was good to.

I think that all the detail is there with the 3D off, but having it on just makes it more apparent, not to the point of the "faux-detail" that bright headphones give, it's quite organic to me and doesn't unearth anything new. Separation wise, I would call it real, but it ultimately depends on what is real to you. Is the way in which audio from loudspeakers reaches your ears real, or is the way in which audio from headphones-where none of the left channel's signal makes it to the right ear, and vice-versa-reaches your ears real? Ultimately, I would argue that the sound from loudspeakers is the more "real" sound, and that's what the 3D Holographic setting attempts to recreate, as well as doing a couple of other things too.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,952 of 9,047

Admittedly, I no longer own a pair of over ear headphones, I only have IEM's these days. Perhaps that's why I regard it so highly. :) I can certainly appreciate that with naturally staged headphones the 3D would not be so desirable.

I think that all the detail is there with the 3D off, but having it on just makes it more apparent, not to the point of the "faux-detail" that bright headphones give, it's quite organic to me and doesn't unearth anything new. Separation wise, I would call it real, but it ultimately depends on what is real to you. Is the way in which audio from loudspeakers reaches your ears real, or is the way in which audio from headphones-where none of the left channel's signal makes it to the right ear, and vice-versa-reaches your ears real? Ultimately, I would argue that the sound from loudspeakers is the more "real" sound, and that's what the 3D Holographic setting attempts to recreate, as well as doing a couple of other things too.

I think it works well with iems and and open cans. (Not much with closed cans) In both a subtie change, but good chance. In open backs its get very speaker like. But yeah i think ultimatly hps want imitate studio speaker stages. Only thing in is the upper treeble, but i think its because i dont have non high quality more analog sounding tracks, orr maybie because idsd is tipe AB ss. Thats why i want test ican, especially i tube, if they can refine the treeble and make it good sounding as the rest. 

But 3d is more complex then just raising the treble, it must have a purpose. I dont think its crossfeed, because its does the oposite of opening soundstage as i noted with fiio e12. So would like to use 3d to like xbass, which i m doing now. For me its sounds very full.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #3,953 of 9,047
But 3d is more complex then just raising the treble, it must have a purpose. I dont think its crossfeed, because its does the oposite of opening soundstage as i noted with fiio e12. So would like to use 3d to like xbass, which i m doing now. For me its sounds very full.

Noting your comment about e12, remember that 3D through the RCA sockets is "3D Holographic for Speakers".

Only 3D through the headphone socket is "3D Holographic for Headphones".

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #3,955 of 9,047
Noting your comment about e12, remember that 3D through the RCA sockets is "3D Holographic for Speakers".

Only 3D through the headphone socket is "3D Holographic for Headphones".

Interesting observations. I never knew that it was supposed to engage two different circuits, based on wether you use RCA out or headphone out; very intriguing.

Does it sound better if you engage the 3D for speakers into another AMP?

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #3,956 of 9,047
  Interesting observations. I never knew that it was supposed to engage two different circuits, based on wether you use RCA out or headphone out; very intriguing.

Does it sound better if you engage the 3D for speakers into another AMP?

I only tried the 3d on setting once with speakers, and I hated it. Sounded very disjointed and sounded like it induced issues in timing. I never turn it or the Xbass off with 'phones tho.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #3,957 of 9,047
I only tried the 3d on setting once with speakers, and I hated it. Sounded very disjointed and sounded like it induced issues in timing. I never turn it or the Xbass off with 'phones tho.

For me 3d if well used, can be used as ear protection sistem, as allow you listening volume of 55-70db, measured with spl meter. You can get great detail, but none of it is made up. It is advisable tough to use 'save' usb filter mode and iem match (1st level) to make the sound a tad warmer and fuller. And then turn it max, 2pm. It wont get anoing for most of people i think. Oh yeah, dont forget to use it with xbass.

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #3,958 of 9,047

Is anyone using iDSD with MC20 and Jplay?  If I choose Jplay ASIO driver, I get intermittent BSD or jRiver will intermittently stop playing.  If I use iFi by AMR HD USB Audio (ASIO), system appears more solid today.  Using Window 7 Home version on my HP Laptop, AMD 5500 processor.

Anyone know of incompatibility with iDSD and Jplay?

I am running Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo Desktop feeding iUSB to iLlink from USB , and no problems with Jplay, also AMD A8 5500 processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back