iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,976 of 9,047
I have been using jRiver MC with Jplay for years with no problem, just since I got the iDSD has it been problematic.  jRiver and Jplay have been warring for years, just depends on what camp you are in whether you like it or not.  Jplay takes a more advanced computer user, so a lot of people give up on it, YMMV, but it works for me, guess I need to return the iDSD!

I'm using MC20 and I tried J Play, it doesn't work at all for me, can't even get it to show in J River. I looked in to it when I couldn't get it working, apparently J River have gone out of their way to ensure that J Play does not work with J River. I could be wrong but perhaps this is causing the issues. I'm guessing you're still able to access it in some way as it's from an earlier install. If the J River ASIO driver works then it's probably a software issue. Have you tried using the J Play "player" (can't remember the name), that could help narrow down the issue.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,977 of 9,047
I'm using MC20 and I tried J Play, it doesn't work at all for me, can't even get it to show in J River. I looked in to it when I couldn't get it working, apparently J River have gone out of their way to ensure that J Play does not work with J River. I could be wrong but perhaps this is causing the issues. I'm guessing you're still able to access it in some way as it's from an earlier install. If the J River ASIO driver works then it's probably a software issue. Have you tried using the J Play "player" (can't remember the name), that could help narrow down the issue.

There has been hacks to allow JPlay to work.  Lots of reading on the JPlay forum.  JPlay 6 is worth the trouble to get running if you want to squeak out the best sound quality as possible.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3,978 of 9,047
  Have you tried JPLAYmini?  How about Bug Head Emperor?  Those might be worth a shot to make a more stable setup.

Good luck with your hip replacement.  

I've used JPLAYmini, but I resample 16/44 to 176, JPLAYmini only supports 16/44.  I am using MC20 with Jplay 6 and DoP 2xDSD resampling, syslem seems more stable!  Makes my HE400 sound better than where I was with my HE6, and that is quite amazing!  Need to try with a better amp though!

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,979 of 9,047

I have been using jRiver MC with Jplay for years with no problem, just since I got the iDSD has it been problematic.  jRiver and Jplay have been warring for years, just depends on what camp you are in whether you like it or not.  Jplay takes a more advanced computer user, so a lot of people give up on it, YMMV, but it works for me, guess I need to return the iDSD!

The updates to JRiver MC20 above 20.0.40 have disabled the JPLAY driver.  I just went back to 20.0.27, same as my older install, I disabled automatic updating two years ago because they always gave me something I didn't want. I'm fine with 20.0.27, won't give them any more of my money if they won't support JPLAY!

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #3,980 of 9,047

There has been hacks to allow JPlay to work.  Lots of reading on the JPlay forum.  JPlay 6 is worth the trouble to get running if you want to squeak out the best sound quality as possible.

+1

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #3,981 of 9,047

I'll see what I can find, cheers.
Does JPkay bypass MC20's DSP though? There's a plug-in I use and can't really go without it.

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,982 of 9,047
Does JPkay bypass MC20's DSP though? There's a plug-in I use and can't really go without it.

I believe it does but I am only making an assumption.  You could always test what you want to do with Foobar.  I believe it has some DSP functionality.  

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,983 of 9,047

I use JRiver DSP, preamp Equalizer setting to control clipping, Headphone settings for crossfeed, but no DSP works with Native DSD, I use DSP with DoP resampling settings!

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #3,984 of 9,047
Is anyone using iDSD with MC20 and Jplay?  If I choose Jplay ASIO driver, I get intermittent BSD or jRiver will intermittently stop playing.  If I use iFi by AMR HD USB Audio (ASIO), system appears more solid today.  Using Window 7 Home version on my HP Laptop, AMD 5500 processor.

Anyone know of incompatibility with iDSD and Jplay?

I am running Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo Desktop feeding iUSB to iLlink from USB , and no problems with Jplay, also AMD A8 5500 processor.

Is it possible that part of your problem could be with the iFi blue USB cable. Some of these are a bit flakey at the iDSD end. The plug doesn't make great contact with the socket so if the cable gets moved, the USB link drops and the music stops playing.

I've had better results using the USB adaptor and a regular (albeit high quality) USB cable. This seems to give a better fit.

I've also found that nearby electrical disturbances can cause the iDSD to drop the USB link. For example, switching on the iCAN power adaptor sometimes causes the iDSD to drop the link. I then have to unplug and re-plug the USB cable. Switching on or off other devices in the vicinity can also cause this problem.

Can you try alternative cables?

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,985 of 9,047

Is anyone using iDSD with MC20 and Jplay?  If I choose Jplay ASIO driver, I get intermittent BSD or jRiver will intermittently stop playing.  If I use iFi by AMR HD USB Audio (ASIO), system appears more solid today.  Using Window 7 Home version on my HP Laptop, AMD 5500 processor.

Anyone know of incompatibility with iDSD and Jplay?

I am running Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo Desktop feeding iUSB to iLlink from USB , and no problems with Jplay, also AMD A8 5500 processor.

Is it possible that part of your problem could be with the iFi blue USB cable. Some of these are a bit flakey at the iDSD end. The plug doesn't make great contact with the socket so if the cable gets moved, the USB link drops and the music stops playing.

I've had better results using the USB adaptor and a regular (albeit high quality) USB cable. This seems to give a better fit.

I've also found that nearby electrical disturbances can cause the iDSD to drop the USB link. For example, switching on the iCAN power adaptor sometimes causes the iDSD to drop the link. I then have to unplug and re-plug the USB cable. Switching on or off other devices in the vicinity can also cause this problem.

Can you try alternative cables?

Tried other cables already......Audioquest Diamond, Kimber, Pure silver, etc, cable makes no difference, no BSOD with other USB devices.  I just think my laptop doesn't have enough processor power!

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,986 of 9,047
Jun 18, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,987 of 9,047

... 3D has been disappointing so far, just sounds overly bright and weird.

Give the 3D some time
smily_headphones1.gif
. Granted, I was unsure on it to start, it seems bright, and I had to reduce the treble a little to compensate, but other than that it is very organic IMO. It gives a presentation more similar to speakers, which is ideal-as that's what music is almost always mixed for-and actually produces a real out of head soundstage. It also highlights details and gives instruments and female vocals a more realistic timbre. I can't listen to headphones without it now. Without it, music sounds dark, closed in, bland and flat. So give it some time, let your ears adjust and you should come to love it!

You were right. I've found that with standard mixes where instruments are placed individually across a stage, 3D opens things up and projects voices especially towards the front (as opposed to being inside the head). And it doesn't bring up the highs nearly as much with these kind of tracks. The first time I tried it, it was with a modern mix with all kinds of reverb and multi-voicing going on, so it sounded really weird. Guess the circuitry wasn't designed for that.

I got 20 minutes of flashing red LED on Normal @ 12 o'clock before it shut down. Somebody mentioned "10%" when that starts happening. Based on 6 hrs @ Normal, that's only about 5%. Is that what others are getting?

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,988 of 9,047
You were right. I've found that with standard mixes where instruments are placed individually across a stage, 3D opens things up and projects voices especially towards the front (as opposed to being inside the head). And it doesn't bring up the highs nearly as much with these kind of tracks. The first time I tried it, it was with a modern mix with all kinds of reverb and multi-voicing going on, so it sounded really weird. Guess the circuitry wasn't designed for that.

I got 20 minutes of flashing red LED on Normal @ 12 o'clock before it shut down. Somebody mentioned "10%" when that starts happening. Based on 6 hrs @ Normal, that's only about 5%. Is that what others are getting?

I've noticed that too. For me, it doesn't sound good with albums produced with the philosophy of a "wall of sound" in mind, particularly that effect with guitar. Having said that, I'm so used to this effect that if I have it off with these tracks I find it bland and the timbre unrealistic, so I need to keep it on! Before the iDSD though, I never found these albums to sound particularly great anyway.

It's quite ironic that as sound reproduction technology gets better, the music sounds worse!

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #3,989 of 9,047
I've noticed that too. For me, it doesn't sound good with albums produced with the philosophy of a "wall of sound" in mind, particularly that effect with guitar. Having said that, I'm so used to this effect that if I have it off with these tracks I find it bland and the timbre unrealistic, so I need to keep it on! Before the iDSD though, I never found these albums to sound particularly great anyway.

It's quite ironic that as sound reproduction technology gets better, the music sounds worse!

Noticed the same with 3d, or with the idsd in general. much detail enhancement, can destroy musicality sometimes. I took me one month to get my favorite signature config out of dsd, and still need to look some details.

Btw, i noticed that there is a way to get an extra boost on bass beyond the 3d, which is havong iem match 1st level at 1 - 2 pm volume, more or less same SPL then without this function. You get a cool extended bass with open cans like 650, but closed cans still have to look a way to mantain bass tight because it blurs it a bit.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,990 of 9,047
Thanks to iFi UK and Avatar Acoustics (USA), I’ve been running the new
 iFi iPower (9V)  MSRP $50? USA
through some equipment in the past weeks, and wanted to provide an overview.

Caution:  this is NOT a complete review, nor an in depth audible “impact” report of iPower for reasons explained below.

The iPower itself:
When first announced it seemed a single iPower model might drive 5V/9V/12V, but this is not the case.
Three individual iPower models will be available for order soon, and knowing what DC voltage your device requires is paramount before ordering the iPower in 5V/9V/12V.

From the photo it’s obvious that the iPower is slightly larger than previous SMPS included with iFi (micro) product line, includes a removable plate for country specific prongs/outlets, and (not shown) a small (ferrite?) bead in the cable approx. 1 ft from the cable termination.
Where and how the iPower reduces the audio noise floor is unknown to me, but there must be some mojo inside the wall wart itself.
(Likely the 12 element output array)

I was loaned an iPower 9V, which was perfect for iCan, iTube and my USB Regen.

The Use cases:
iFi units such as iCan and iTube had been shipping with the previous (but not sold separately AFAIK) iFi SMPS.
with audio path being iMac—>Audirvana+—>iFi micro iDSD—>iTube (pre-amp)—>iCan—>HE-560
I took turns swapping out the power supplies for both iTube and iCan, and replacing with the iFi iPower 9V.

Summary of results:
very hard to consistently notice audible changes when using iFi iPower 9V.
at times, I could hear a tad better defined bass, or a more realistic cymbal brush.  but in a blind test not sure my ears could reproduce identification in all trials.
I attribute this to a few things:
 a) my house/room has relatively decent power running out of the wall, and some previous “electrical noise cleaning” products have made no noticeable effect in my computer fed audio environment.
 b) the original iFi SMPS is already real good.  ie.  quiet.  (10uV)
 c) USB signal into micro iDSD is already “cleaned up” by it's built in iPurifier.  so maybe SMPS impact downstream on the analog devices is further minimized? (a guess)

Onward:
iFi iPower 9V
+
UpTone Audio USB Regen (Green, early model)
the Regen is a new USB reclocker and power leg solution for USB fed DACs.
Regen has impressed me for weeks now, can’t live without it.  Likely because a 2009 iMac is not the most pure USB output source.
Regen delivers increased clarity and resolution while not losing PRaT or squashing depth of soundstage, which did happen a tad with a different USB re-clocker.

Setup =
iMac with Audirvana+ 2.10, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable to Regen to adapter into Gungnir, feeding Lyr 2 (Telefunken E88CC tubes) to HE-560 (YFS Super30 Litz cable and open grills).

Spent at least 40min back and forth testing between
Regen stock wall wart power SMPS

vs.
Regen using new (demo) iFi iPower 9V.

It took awhile to nail down differences, which I suppose could be within error margins- but in the end my ears found Regen with iPower so slightly easier to notice and pick out details when instruments were layered on top of each other.  drum kit sounds had slightly better definition in space.

Now Gungnir isn't the most micro detail delivering DAC, so slight improvements might apply differently to other rigs.

putting subjective numbers on the audible differences, would give regular SMPS power Regen a 94.
Regen with iPower a 97.
Why no 100?
Well I don't own a LPS, and figure that may inch quality up another couple notches? 

And, nothing is perfect in this hobby right? Ha!

Other iPower Uses:
It was explained to me that other audio devices like Squeezbox, Sonos, etc would benefit more directly from clean iFi iPower, as consumer grade equipment does not pay close attention to SMPS impact on audio quality.
alas, I scoured my house and didn’t find other 9V DC audio devices on which to test iFi iPower.

IIRC, iFi will start including iPower with all NEW micro iFi purchases- meaning new customers will not need to spend additional $ to receive the quieter SMPS.
With the affordable pricing, folks who might have questionable power in room, or travel staying at hotel rooms with (typically) worse power sources, or if you find numerous 5V/9V/12V DC fed audio devices around your house-  connecting the iFi iPower is certainly worth experimentation time and low cost.

Next Up:
Thoughts and summary of iTube+iCan, a combo first heard back at RMAF 2014 but not since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back