iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 12, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,931 of 9,047
hey bro. mr techno bear is correct. try to delete the iFi driver. the Windows DSP functinality will still be in there. it then shows that this is not the driver itself. this is windows man.

the IFi driver is just a driver. it doesn't do Dsp. Afaik, iFi does not recommend DSP. The iematch you say is not the same. That does not do Dsp. You can get a lot better sound from the micro dsd if you set it up well. useful infotainment for others here. Dsp is evil. i agree 110% :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,932 of 9,047
hey bro. mr techno bear is correct. try to delete the iFi driver. the Windows DSP functinality will still be in there. it then shows that this is not the driver itself. this is windows man.

the IFi driver is just a driver. it doesn't do Dsp. Afaik, iFi does not recommend DSP. The iematch you say is not the same. That does not do Dsp. You can get a lot better sound from the micro dsd if you set it up well. useful infotainment for others here. Dsp is evil. i agree 110% :)

Probably many more have it like this, how do i get it like the other user? Whats the process, with configuration of the pc to turn off the dsp thing...

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #3,934 of 9,047
Probably many more have it like this, how do i get it like the other user? Whats the process, with configuration of the pc to turn off the dsp thing...

Do you also have the audio routed to the Micro in your audio player? You can set the audio to play directly to the Micro in the settings of Foobar, Jriver, etc... via WASAPI or ASIO.

In case you don't, here's some PDF's on how to do it:
Foobar
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_Foobar.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwjeoOGy7IrGAhVC3KYKHZ3TAJo&usg=AFQjCNHwCt4dTyJnvlgKEwQEVWVgODEICQ&sig2=1AgagB9p3TLlVIFqG9Nz6g
Jriver
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18%2B19.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwja67iA7YrGAhUoxqYKHUdvADw&usg=AFQjCNGRGX608DbqcYoO7LuP0amDp1TIdA&sig2=64RdFSJujUUZgKACElbTkQ

ASIO seems to be the preferred method for this though. You can install a component for Foobar to allow communication via ASIO, and the setup is more or less the same. JRiver already has the option for ASIO already, and I believe most other players do too.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,935 of 9,047
Do you also have the audio routed to the Micro in your audio player? You can set the audio to play directly to the Micro in the settings of Foobar, Jriver, etc... via WASAPI or ASIO.

In case you don't, here's some PDF's on how to do it:
Foobar
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_Foobar.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwjeoOGy7IrGAhVC3KYKHZ3TAJo&usg=AFQjCNHwCt4dTyJnvlgKEwQEVWVgODEICQ&sig2=1AgagB9p3TLlVIFqG9Nz6g
Jriver
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18%2B19.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAAahUKEwja67iA7YrGAhUoxqYKHUdvADw&usg=AFQjCNGRGX608DbqcYoO7LuP0amDp1TIdA&sig2=64RdFSJujUUZgKACElbTkQ

ASIO seems to be the preferred method for this though. You can install a component for Foobar to allow communication via ASIO, and the setup is more or less the same. JRiver already has the option for ASIO already, and I believe most other players do too.

Yes i done that, but i changed the option of the asio buffer size to 8192 and usb streaming to very save, sampling 192000hz. Great sound. Great soundstage.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #3,936 of 9,047
welcome to the micro owners club. best dac under 1k out there. I have the geek 720 and it sounds ever so harder and more tough. it does have a good soundstage but after 30 minutes i get ear fatigue. the micro i dont get that. but they are both very good dacs.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #3,937 of 9,047
welcome to the micro owners club. best dac under 1k out there. I have the geek 720 and it sounds ever so harder and more tough. it does have a good soundstage but after 30 minutes i get ear fatigue. the micro i dont get that. but they are both very good dacs.

I compared the Geek Out 1000 with the micro iDSD. If the iDSD runs under Standard filter = no difference to the Geek. If you go for Bit-Perfect filter, the iDSD wins in terms of more smoothness and less harsh treble. But in general both really great devices. I prefer iDSD because of better usage as full portable rig with my iBasso DX50 (coax out), more power, better crossfeed and a real 6,3mm output.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,939 of 9,047
Does somebody tried the idsd wit » itube » ican? And/Or the gemini » iusb » idsd combination?

Well the itube and ican are cool, good reviews but only 300mw power :frowning2: unles with class A its diferent. locks they need more current.
Wont it bottleneck the idsd driving the hd650 for example?

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,940 of 9,047
  Does somebody tried the idsd wit » itube » ican? And/Or the gemini » iusb » idsd combination?

Well the itube and ican are cool, good reviews but only 300mw power :frowning2: unles with class A its diferent. locks they need more current.

I don't own the iTube ( I have a Valhalla 2) but I have an iCan, and it drives the Schiit out of my HD600s as well as my DT880 250 ohm, LCD2s, and HE500s. I also have the iDSD Micro, and it is a great pairing with any of these phones, even alone, although I think the iCan has a better sounding headphone amp than the amp in the iDSD Micro. The DAC in the iDSD Micro is absolutely stellar though, and using it with the iCan is the best of all possible worlds. Highly recommended if you can afford/justify the two devices instead of one. The iDSD Micro to Valhalla2 is probably my favorite combo though especially with the HD600s and the HE500s.

Cheers,

Kurt

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3,941 of 9,047

But it annoys me to have to use the adapter with my nice usb cable. I'm using the micro as a desktop solution 90% of the time. 

Same here, i like the mercury cable, but the adapter of the idsd doesnt look up to the task. Ifi didnt put an especial adapter since then. Does somebody use the mercury cable? how does it performs with idsd?

Any sugestions for usb adapters?

Question for ifi: Are you still planning put a especial usb adapter for the idsd as acessory, good for mercury/gemini? 

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #3,942 of 9,047
  I don't own the iTube ( I have a Valhalla 2) but I have an iCan, and it drives the Schiit out of my HD600s as well as my DT880 250 ohm, LCD2s, and HE500s. I also have the iDSD Micro, and it is a great pairing with any of these phones, even alone, although I think the iCan has a better sounding headphone amp than the amp in the iDSD Micro. The DAC in the iDSD Micro is absolutely stellar though, and using it with the iCan is the best of all possible worlds. Highly recommended if you can afford/justify the two devices instead of one. The iDSD Micro to Valhalla2 is probably my favorite combo though especially with the HD600s and the HE500s.

Cheers,

Kurt

Thanks, seems i have to give ican i shot, now i m curious about itube. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #3,943 of 9,047

iTube is mainly designed for loudspeaker only. It won't add much to an iDSD + iCAN setup and in fact, the 3D Holographic Sound on iTube will kind of mess up iCAN's (or any headphone amp for that matter) soundstage and image.

iCAN itself is way more than enough to drive HD650. Enough is enough, having more doesn't always mean better result.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #3,944 of 9,047
Just got my micro from Rich at Signature Sound and I'm pleased overall. Compared to my Note 3 (which I think sounds pretty good and had a hard time distinguishing from mobile/desktop USB DAC/amps in retail environments), the micro seems to have more clarity/coherence to the sound, and tighter imaging. The music is just more "present". Hard to say how much is expectation bias. I tried some non-blind ABing with my DT 1350s (Eco, High Sensitivity to get past the channel imbalance) and those were my impressions, as well as with ER-4Ps (Eco, Ultra). 

With PCM, the filters are very subtle, Standard having a slightly harsh "digital" sound and Bit-Perfect & Minimum-Phase smoothing things off (not much between them). I tried a few DSD files I've downloaded and got some different colors to show up on the LED. The analog DSD filter has a much stronger effect, with Extreme seeming to cut a shocking amount of highs. In any case, I just wanted to check that it works properly and will be using the micro almost exclusively for Redbook FLAC.

BTW, the micro works with system audio on my Note 3 (thankfully, as that's my main transport), but requires UAPP, Onkyo HF Player, or Hiby to work with my Galaxy S3. 

My new ZMF Blackwoods were already impressive out of my phone (which just barely manages to drive it), but really come to life with the iFi (Normal/Off). Might use XBass if I feel like the need for some extra low-end oomph. 3D has been disappointing so far, just sounds overly bright and weird.

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #3,945 of 9,047
Just got my micro from Rich at Signature Sound and I'm pleased overall. Compared to my Note 3 (which I think sounds pretty good and had a hard time distinguishing from mobile/desktop USB DAC/amps in retail environments), the micro seems to have more clarity/coherence to the sound, and tighter imaging. The music is just more "present". Hard to say how much is expectation bias. I tried some non-blind ABing with my DT 1350s (Eco, High Sensitivity to get past the channel imbalance) and those were my impressions, as well as with ER-4Ps (Eco, Ultra). 

With PCM, the filters are very subtle, Standard having a slightly harsh "digital" sound and Bit-Perfect & Minimum-Phase smoothing things off (not much between them). I tried a few DSD files I've downloaded and got some different colors to show up on the LED. The analog DSD filter has a much stronger effect, with Extreme seeming to cut a shocking amount of highs. In any case, I just wanted to check that it works properly and will be using the micro almost exclusively for Redbook FLAC.

BTW, the micro works with system audio on my Note 3 (thankfully, as that's my main transport), but requires UAPP, Onkyo HF Player, or Hiby to work with my Galaxy S3. 

My new ZMF Blackwoods were already impressive out of my phone (which just barely manages to drive it), but really come to life with the iFi (Normal/Off). Might use XBass if I feel like the need for some extra low-end oomph. 3D has been disappointing so far, just sounds overly bright and weird.

Give the 3D some time :). Granted, I was unsure on it to start, it seems bright, and I had to reduce the treble a little to compensate, but other than that it is very organic IMO. It gives a presentation more similar to speakers, which is ideal-as that's what music is almost always mixed for-and actually produces a real out of head soundstage. It also highlights details and gives instruments and female vocals a more realistic timbre. I can't listen to headphones without it now. Without it, music sounds dark, closed in, bland and flat. So give it some time, let your ears adjust and you should come to love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back