iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 30, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,841 of 9,047
Two stacks in difference locations makes eminent sense though
cool.gif

Seriousily?
biggrin.gif

I would just had bought one stack and carry it in a backpack, and with the rest of the money bough more headphones/IEMs. Or a transport to use the stack while on the road too!

But really, it is great that you found a stack that really suffices your needs!

May 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,842 of 9,047
Once the battery dies on the micro idsd after the expected life of 3-4 years will the dac only section still work when connected to the laptop USB so it can be be run off line out to a separate HP amp or preamp? Or does battery dead=nothing works on micro idsd?

May 30, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,843 of 9,047
Once the battery dies on the micro idsd after the expected life of 3-4 years will the dac only section still work when connected to the laptop USB so it can be be run off line out to a separate HP amp or preamp? Or does battery dead=nothing works on micro idsd?

The battery doesn't die as such. It's capacity is reduced. If you are running in eco mode or only use it a few hours a day then it will be a very long time before the battery needs to be replaced.

May 30, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3,844 of 9,047
Thanks that's good to know. But I'd still like to know how the design is implemented. Can the dac section function independently if the battery is dead either because it's at end of life and needs to be replaced or has become faulty?

I know iFi offers a replacement battery but I'd like to know still how it works.

May 30, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,845 of 9,047
The battery has to be able to hold some charge. Otherwise you get the red LED and the DAC will not play. It's unlikely that the battery will ever die completely.

May 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #3,846 of 9,047
The battery has to be able to hold some charge. Otherwise you get the red LED and the DAC will not play. It's unlikely that the battery will ever die completely.

My battery is dead. It does not charge. It does not play.

May 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #3,848 of 9,047
  I think that the fault might be with the battery. The ifi idsd micro does not exist for enough time for the battery to die yet.

Have you contacted them to repair it?

I think that there is no way that warranty is over yet.

Yes, they have been extremely responsive and I am being sorted out

May 30, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #3,849 of 9,047
  i do not know somehow i am starting to perceive the ifi micro dsd to be harsh, i am really not knowing why i am starting to have a change of heart to the sound signature.

honestly it needs more bass and less brightness, with metal music the ifi dsd does not do well in my books anymore.

Had the same experience at beginning, but if you want a warmer bassier sound you have several options:

Leave the driver on predefinition settings. Do not upsample, just use 16 bit 44100hz mode. Green light.
Use standard instead of bit perfect, if ou find the sound to strong. Even though bit perfect reduces treble a tad, it might sound more artificial and less musical.
Use extra bass, never 3d mode.
Use nagative polarity. More laid back.
Try use eco mode if possible, sound more natural and refined. Turbo and Normal have more upfront  sound.
Use IEM match with normal mode if possible.

Get the ican as sugestion, and use idsd as dac, warmer sound signature the say.

Hope it helps. 
wink.gif

May 31, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #3,850 of 9,047
Use standard instead of bit perfect, if ou find the sound to strong. Even though bit perfect reduces treble a tad, it might sound more artificial and less musical.

That is the exact opposite of my experience.

The whole point of Bit Perfect is that it sounds LESS artificial and MORE musical.

The Standard filter is basically the one we have all been deriding for the last 35 years as sounding "digital" and is really only present because the chip supports it and so that you can here how bad it is.

If you have particular recordings where Bit Perfect doesn't have quite enough top end air then use Minimum Phase instead as this has slightly more top end treble without losing the musicality to much.

Personally I don't find the iDSD bright at all. Some of my CDs are bright but there is XBASS to deal with that.

May 31, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,851 of 9,047

My battery is dead. It does not charge. It does not play.

There is always one :rolleyes:

I think iFi have pointed out already that the iDSD does need some 'me time' whilst connected to a live USB port in order to keep the battery topped up.

A problem can arise if you listen all the time your computer is on/awake and your computer does not power the USB socket when it is off/asleep.

For example, my desktop PC powers all its USB ports when asleep and I never turn it off so that iDSD is always ready to go.

My Acer V11 laptop does not power any USB ports while asleep so I have to remember to turn it on and keep it awake to charge the other iDSD while not listening to music.

My ThinkPad Edge 11 has the best answer. It has one port that is always live so long as the PSU is plugged in, even when the laptop is off. I don't use that one with the iDSD though because it is noisy. The V11 has the advantage of being FANLESS which is why I bought it.

May 31, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #3,852 of 9,047
For me, standard didnt sound that bad, it improved the sound a lot compared what i ve heard, but bit perfect has better instrument seperation and less sounstage. Didnt use minimum fase much, but have to try it beacause i dont want to lose the sounstage of standard.

But difference are subtile between the 3.
I see that for some, musicality is great detail and seperation. - bitperfect style. Slower.
For others, the more one swing mode, reducing the detail enfase a bit. Faster.

Sound is very subjective.
I got the two point of views, and for me i cant say one is better then other, just diferent sound experience.
The ican dont has the bitperfect filter, but indeed people say its quite musical and compliments well the idsd.

Well i m new here, still learning, i ve to listen the idsd again and again i guess. :wink:

May 31, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #3,853 of 9,047
Sound is very subjective.
I got the two point of views, and for me i cant say one is better then other, just diferent sound experience.
The ican dont has the bitperfect filter, but indeed people say its quite musical and compliments well the idsd.

Well i m new here, still learning, i ve to listen the idsd again and again i guess.
wink.gif

The iCan can't have a BitPerfect filter as the filters are digital filters for the DAC section. The iCan is a standalone amplifier. 

May 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,854 of 9,047
That is the exact opposite of my experience.

The whole point of Bit Perfect is that it sounds LESS artificial and MORE musical.

The Standard filter is basically the one we have all been deriding for the last 35 years as sounding "digital" and is really only present because the chip supports it and so that you can here how bad it is.

If you have particular recordings where Bit Perfect doesn't have quite enough top end air then use Minimum Phase instead as this has slightly more top end treble without losing the musicality to much.

Personally I don't find the iDSD bright at all. Some of my CDs are bright but there is XBASS to deal with that.

Correct

Tell me if I am off base But this is just wot the whole point of no sampling is it the native blurb.

I read about the Amr machines and are widely reviewed for their analogue sound. Central is the no sampling filter setting.  Running in a dp777 here and for sure it sounds the most enjoyable on no sampling bit perfect. Nice nice 

Can't afford the top range cd77 even used but the dp777 seems really good.Thats why I have one to try.

The micro is not in the same league but it only 1/10th of the ticket so you get what you pay for.

May 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #3,855 of 9,047
can we recap what settings give u the wamrest result as now i am totally confused, my headphone is audeze lcd2 and i also use the alo mk3 B amp with the ifi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back