iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 1, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #3,871 of 9,047
It sounds the "warmest" because it is the "warmest", and measures as such.

Here's a graph of the frequency responses of all filters (EDIT: For PCM), measured and published by ClieOS.
SpectrumiDSD.png

Here's a link to his review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/13009
It's well done, accurate and definitely worth reading.

Can you point me in the direction of comments where people have said that the standard filter is the warmest? I'm struggling to find any, except one.
My experience in the thread contradicts it, so I am genuinely curious to read the comments stating that standard is warmest/bitperfect is brightest. Many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

1,5 dB difference near the limits of human hearing threshold. No wonder why they sound the same to me.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #3,872 of 9,047
It sounds the "warmest" because it is the "warmest", and measures as such.

Here's a graph of the frequency responses of all filters, measured and published by ClieOS.
SpectrumiDSD.png

Here's a link to his review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/13009
It's well done, accurate and definitely worth reading.

Can you point me in the direction of comments where people have said that the standard filter is the warmest? I'm struggling to find any, except one.
My experience in the thread contradicts it, so I am genuinely curious to read the comments stating that standard is warmest/bitperfect is brightest. Many thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

What you and the graph point out is orret, bitperfet is warmer in sound, less upper treble/ air. But it sounds more strong and punchy, so some might consider it not warm, and bit bright sometimes. Maybie because of that, there is a roloff in the upper treble with bit perfect. Another thing is that with bass boost, the brightness of the standart gets tamed, so it feels warm too.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,874 of 9,047
For half the price of the $650 ALO Rx Mk3 B I would give the Micro iCan a listen.  The money would be very well spent learning how iFi Audio wants you to hear your music.  The combo is utterly fantastic!

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,875 of 9,047
1,5 dB difference near the limits of human hearing threshold. No wonder why they sound the same to me.

Yeah, I struggled to perceive any difference for a while. it wasn't until I did some critical listening and some very fast flicking of the filter switch (one of the benefits of an analogue switch being that they affect the signal [relatively] instantaneously) that I noticed a delicate change in the texture of high octave synthesizer melodies and cymbals. It really is a minor change though. However, further listening made me realize that it also seems to push the vocals back in the soundstage a little (with 3D on, at least). I have a theory about this though. The areas of vocals that are affected are out of the direct vocal range but are in the indirect areas, such as sibilance, etc... and these higher frequencies are used as distance cues by our minds, as high frequencies diffuse sooner (relative to distance) than lower frequencies, especially in areas affected by the bitperfect filter.

Differences are small, between the filters but, all in all, I think that's a good thing and by design. The aim is to remove the noise while maintaining SI as best as possible.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #3,876 of 9,047
  hey guys, how does the idsd micro performs with grado RS1i headphones? does anyone have experienced this combo? thanks

I have a RS2i on with the micro iDSD Eco Mode + X-Bass amazing + Bit-perfect filter combo, absoluty stunning. Absoluty best match, sounds better than my iBasso DX50 alone.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,877 of 9,047

I have a RS2i on with the micro iDSD Eco Mode + X-Bass amazing + Bit-perfect filter combo, absoluty stunning. Absoluty best match, sounds better than my iBasso DX50 alone.

Thanks, I'm thinking of picking an 6 month old mint RS1i for around $520 ... I'm very tempted, since i was looking for this cans or GS1000e. oh ...my poor wallet

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3,878 of 9,047
I have been lurking on Head-Fi for years and it wasn't until today that I realized there was a dedicated review section.  I was reading ClieOS' review of the Micro iDSD, then clicked around and BAM!  I landed here http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews

When I acquire a larger headphone inventory I plan on writing up my own personal take on the iDSD.  I know I won't approach the veracity of ClieOS or describe my thoughts like the others did but it will be fun to try.  I'd like to inform any newbie reading through Head-Fi or assist the next headphone enthusiast in selecting their next DAC/Amp.  The iDSD is too versatile to not have it land near the top of their list.  The more of us that help them out, the better.

Am I the last one to know about this landing page for reviews? 
confused.gif
  Who else might see themselves putting together a review of their own? 
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,879 of 9,047
I'll be reviewing my persoanl unit as soon as time permits.  Still ahve another couple to get through before I get to the iFi.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,880 of 9,047
Just got the LCD-X to pair with this badboy. Is anyone using Normal mode with IEMatch engaged? When I'm mellowing out before bed, I don't like to listen too loud, so ECO mode seems to do the trick, although dynamics are reduced slightly. Since impedence is 20ohm for LCD-X, does changing IEMatch make for a better match (output impedance-wise?)

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #3,881 of 9,047
I have been lurking on Head-Fi for years and it wasn't until today that I realized there was a dedicated review section.  I was reading ClieOS' review of the Micro iDSD, then clicked around and BAM!  I landed here http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews

When I acquire a larger headphone inventory I plan on writing up my own personal take on the iDSD.  I know I won't approach the veracity of ClieOS or describe my thoughts like the others did but it will be fun to try.  I'd like to inform any newbie reading through Head-Fi or assist the next headphone enthusiast in selecting their next DAC/Amp.  The iDSD is too versatile to not have it land near the top of their list.  The more of us that help them out, the better.

Am I the last one to know about this landing page for reviews? :confused:   Who else might see themselves putting together a review of their own? :beerchug:

I don't have the time for reviews these days, even if I felt comfortable writing an audio review, and then if I did, I feel I'd only be rehashing the countless outstanding reviews. :) (apologies if that sentence sounds condescending, it by no means is intended that way, It was re-written twice and it reads that way no matter how I put it!) Please, don't let me stop you though. :)

I will say that I am truely impressed by it, especially with the 3D holographic setting. I did find that the extra upper treble/top octave made it sound thin, but a 1dB reduction brought it right down (by more than 1dB at the headphones). My reduction actually took it towards (although not completely down to) the headphones natural tuning, which is always a good thing. I don't equalize for music but for my setup and for a relatively flat response, so it's not an issue for me anymore, but I can see how those who won't touch equalization wouldn't like it, especially with already bright headphones. Other than that, the 3D really brings the soundstage to life pulling in and pushing out where one would want while opening it up, increasing separation and air and giving a more natural timbre.

I had a long listening session today and I have to say that while burn in appeared to improve performance, becoming accustomed to the sound seems to have had a far greater effect. It usually takes me a non-stop listening session to start to get acquainted with the sound and I finally broke through the barrier today. I would have to put physical burn in at 15% and mental burn in at 85%.

Now, I find it incredible and it is all I had expected and more. Other devices left me feeling short changed, but the iDSD does it all, and does it well. I'm very happy with mine and I think it will be my portable DAC/Amp for years to come!

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,882 of 9,047
  Just got the LCD-X to pair with this badboy. Is anyone using Normal mode with IEMatch engaged? When I'm mellowing out before bed, I don't like to listen too loud, so ECO mode seems to do the trick, although dynamics are reduced slightly. Since impedence is 20ohm for LCD-X, does changing IEMatch make for a better match (output impedance-wise?)

Regardining to output impendance of the iDSD, it's IEMatch off = 1 ohms, IEMatch = High = 4 ohms IEMatch = Ultra = 1 Ohms.

More loudness often is for us a "dynamic feeling", you can still stay with ECO mode without problems imho.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,883 of 9,047
  Just found some cool trick in Foobar using the Resampler DSP plug-in and want to share it.

The sample rate list there is up until 96000, but if you type in manually 192000 and anything else, it will eat it without errors.

I tried 192000 and there was a small improvement in sound after upsampling compared to the default 44100 rate. 

Then I tried 768000 and really like the sound, it is even better and more natural compared to DSD256 or DSD512 which is a little bit congested and too smooth, I think, even though I was raving about it before. The iDSD light goes white which means the sample rate works great with the DAC.

I think 768000 upsampling really sounds awesome with the Standard filter applied in iDSD Micro. No hi-freq rolled off and the sound is very transparent and clear.

Did anyone try that too by chance? Any suggestions?

Interesting.  Just got the iDSD and pretty new to both Foobar and hq headphones.  Currently using WASAPI on Foobar to play FLAC, but want to try DSD so per IFis recommendation I'm going to do a full uninstall, then (1) dl SACD/DSD plugin, (2) dl Foobar, and (3) dl ASIO plug-in.  Will also add WASAPI and will try the above rec as well.  Any other highly recommended plug-ins/components/settings for the best sounding music?  I'll worry about skins and such later, just want to play hq music first.  I'll be trying the Micro as both a DAC/amp and purely as a DAC connected to a Bottlehead Crack amp

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #3,884 of 9,047
Interesting.  Just got the iDSD and pretty new to both Foobar and hq headphones.  Currently using WASAPI on Foobar to play FLAC, but want to try DSD so per IFis recommendation I'm going to do a full uninstall, then (1) dl SACD/DSD plugin, (2) dl Foobar, and (3) dl ASIO plug-in.  Will also add WASAPI and will try the above rec as well.  Any other highly recommended plug-ins/components/settings for the best sounding music?  I'll worry about skins and such later, just want to play hq music first.  I'll be trying the Micro as both a DAC/amp and purely as a DAC connected to a Bottlehead Crack amp

Some useful help here:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

Once you have it all installed and it still doesn't play correctly, try this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-iclub-members-v4-08-beta-firmware-page-136/1950#post_11010460

Have fun!

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,885 of 9,047

I never used WASAPI with Foobar, just sticked to ASIO with my Win 8 laptop, it seems to be doing the trick and bypasses the windows audio kernel just fine.

Yes, it is a good idea to install DSD plugin for Foobar just for the sake of testing and comparing the sound, but there are quite a few people (including myself) who still end up listening to music without any filters or upsampling to DSD or higher rates. DSD seems to be cleaner but it still has some artificial/compressed character where the original PCM sounds more airy and natural (again, it is just my opinion). Listening to real DSD files is another story, they sound like a real deal, pretty resolving and natural, especially some classical or acoustic albums. However, the whole SACD album weighs like 4-5 gigs or more!!! Storing them on the hard drive may not be practical.

For Foobar - I tweaked some keyboard shortcuts, like pressing Ctrl+Shift+P, Ctrl+Shift+N changes tracks (previous and next), Space for Pause, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back