iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,766 of 9,047
I have been using my micro for a while now, about 250 hours. Does anyone find it a little bright, tends to high light HF, and also a touch of cool sounding? Both headphone and DAC.

Which filter setting are you using?

May 23, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #3,767 of 9,047

I think you should try to contact IFI audio fist, they are really responsive.

Seconded.  I had mine serviced.  Owen & the crew at iFi were great.  Had an RMA prepped for me at the distributor that had the parts already, and I got my iFi back from the Georgia facility really quickly.

May 23, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,768 of 9,047
  Seconded.  I had mine serviced.  Owen & the crew at iFi were great.  Had an RMA prepped for me at the distributor that had the parts already, and I got my iFi back from the Georgia facility really quickly.

I bought mine used with all the packaging, etc. and still have 6 months warranty left. If something happens to it during this time, will the iFi support take care of it? I do not have a proof of purchase though, but the previous owner probably does.

May 23, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #3,770 of 9,047

I bought mine used with all the packaging, etc. and still have 6 months warranty left. If something happens to it during this time, will the iFi support take care of it? I do not have a proof of purchase though, but the previous owner probably does.

I can't comment on company policy, but they've always shown first-class customer service, so I'd say what do you lose by asking?

May 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #3,771 of 9,047
Hi guys, looking into this for a pair of Hifiman he-560 planar headphones. Kind of sort of maybe heard someone mention it might sound good with them. The he-560 is proving to be a real pain to drive with a portable device and I'm running out of options. So two questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with the he-560 + iFi iDSD Micro DSD pairing?

2) Can I use a Fiio x3 DAP as a source for this or is it just apple devices? (I've never really understood how a DAC/Amp pairing works, how it bypasses the DAC inside a player etc. I'm sorry for the supernoobness, btw)

May 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #3,772 of 9,047
  2) Can I use a Fiio x3 DAP as a source for this or is it just apple devices? (I've never really understood how a DAC/Amp pairing works, how it bypasses the DAC inside a player etc. I'm sorry for the supernoobness, btw)

You can use Fiio X3 DAP SPDIF Coaxial output to feed iDSD micro SPDIF coaxial input.

May 24, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,773 of 9,047

Yes, X3 will work via its SPDIF output, which will bypass X3's internal DAC. However, you will need a different cable or an male-male adapter as the stock SPDIF cable that comes with X3 has a female plug (*same as iDSD).

May 24, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #3,774 of 9,047

I think you should try to contact IFI audio fist, they are really responsive. 

No not in this case, it's a hardware issue. I know the iFi support is great, no question. But I want asap my iDSD back working, so I will send it for repair / replacment tomy local iFi dealer.

May 24, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #3,775 of 9,047
May 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,777 of 9,047

Yes, X3 will work via its SPDIF output, which will bypass X3's internal DAC. However, you will need a different cable or an male-male adapter as the stock SPDIF cable that comes with X3 has a female plug (*same as iDSD).

Thank you, I guess I'll hunt for it then.

May 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,778 of 9,047

Thank you, I guess I'll hunt for it then.

I had one made for my DX90 by Forza Audio Works.  Oddly-enough, I just got a replacement DX90 from iBASSO because of a faulty headphone jack, and they sent the exact coax to 3.5" cable I got from F.A.W. (Just not nearly as nice) back with the replacement unit.

May 24, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,779 of 9,047
1) Does anyone have any experience with the he-560 + iFi iDSD Micro DSD pairing?

I've been using ifi idsd micro with HE-560 at home when I want to move around, or when I need portability. I really like the design and the sound. Ifi has strong base and warmish tones and a bit more relaxed sound signature compared to burson conductor. There is plenty of power to drive HE-560, no problems there. I also enjoy AT-3000anv with idsd, as a closed headphone setup at work, really happy with that. Conductor is superior in accuracy, soundstage and rhythm, so for more analytic experience I prefer conductor. I think idsd is a great option if you want warmish, darker sound signature to complement more neutral HE-560. idsd is not warm like a tube amp, but definitely tad warmer than neutral imo.

May 24, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,780 of 9,047

I had one made for my DX90 by Forza Audio Works.  Oddly-enough, I just got a replacement DX90 from iBASSO because of a faulty headphone jack, and they sent the exact coax to 3.5" cable I got from F.A.W. (Just not nearly as nice) back with the replacement unit.

This hobby gets very frustrating when stuff is neither on Amazon or eBay and you are not american. Which is what is happening to me now, with this illusive cable. One almost thinks the people at iFi could have put that little thing in that big ole box themselves. As an... accessory!

I've been using ifi idsd micro with HE-560 at home when I want to move around, or when I need portability. I really like the design and the sound. Ifi has strong base and warmish tones and a bit more relaxed sound signature compared to burson conductor. There is plenty of power to drive HE-560, no problems there. I also enjoy AT-3000anv with idsd, as a closed headphone setup at work, really happy with that. Conductor is superior in accuracy, soundstage and rhythm, so for more analytic experience I prefer conductor. I think idsd is a great option if you want warmish, darker sound signature to complement more neutral HE-560. idsd is not warm like a tube amp, but definitely tad warmer than neutral imo.

But then again, that sounds very promising. 

Oh head fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back