iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 22, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,751 of 9,047
First we have to analyze the music you are listening to see how music high frequencies are being played or clipping.  How much noise you were exposed to during the day also plays a factor.  I would try a different IEM or use a headphone  to see if what you experiencing repeats. What you experiencing happens to me when exposed to constant noise during the day, like a manufacturing setting and my ears will fatigue at the end of the day and the low frequency hum usually means that the ear is tired in my case. The  energetic high frequency could have come from the music, signals that are clipping or from other causes. There is really not enough information on your setup and settings to make a determination in your case.  Always try to rest your ears  when they are humming or ringing. When you tried again without resting your ears the tinnitus can start again easy and you will be running a risk. The Onkyo application has power issues with some equipment and I would check more on the source side. Are you having the same issues when NOT upsampling to 192kHz which tends to be resource intensive on the player?

May 22, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #3,752 of 9,047
Still, for the sake of knowledge, it would be nice to find an answer.
smily_headphones1.gif
I will be visiting an audiologist either way though, as a check up can't be anything but good.

Hi,

Yes, check with Audiologist/medical expert.

Beyond what we have said, there is not much more we can add and you should see what medical professionals have to say.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 22, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3,753 of 9,047
For iCLUB members ONLY - please open a new support ticket and ask your concierge for the v4.08 Beta firmware.

BETA: v4.08 Firmware upgrade

User Notes:
This is the first unified version of firmware for nano iDSD, micro iDSD and Retro ONLY.
NOT to be uploaded to the micro iLink, micro iDAC, nor AMR DP-777!

Improvements
• Further improvement sfor DoP playback which exhibits clicks/pops during track changes
• Various optimisations regarding clock distribution.
• Various optimisations regarding muting circuitry.
• Improved compatibility with Mac OS X.

Bug fixes
• Fixed various small bugs.

Note to others, once this has been confirmed as all a-okay, we will release this into the wild for everyone to enjoy.

We thank you for your patience but as you can see, we do not issue firmware updates lightly because they need to undergo rigorous testing.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,754 of 9,047
So how does an owner get into the "iClub" or is it like the Illuminati? :D

-H

Quote:
  For iCLUB members ONLY - please open a new support ticket and ask your concierge for the v4.08 Beta firmware.

BETA: v4.08 Firmware upgrade

User Notes:
This is the first unified version of firmware for nano iDSD, micro iDSD and Retro ONLY.
NOT to be uploaded to the micro iLink, micro iDAC, nor AMR DP-777!

Improvements
• Further improvement sfor DoP playback which exhibits clicks/pops during track changes
• Various optimisations regarding clock distribution.
• Various optimisations regarding muting circuitry.
• Improved compatibility with Mac OS X.

Bug fixes
• Fixed various small bugs.

Note to others, once this has been confirmed as all a-okay, we will release this into the wild for everyone to enjoy.

We thank you for your patience but as you can see, we do not issue firmware updates lightly because they need to undergo rigorous testing.

May 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,755 of 9,047
First we have to analyze the music you are listening to see how music high frequencies are being played or clipping.  How much noise you were exposed to during the day also plays a factor.  I would try a different IEM or use a headphone  to see if what you experiencing repeats. What you experiencing happens to me when exposed to constant noise during the day, like a manufacturing setting and my ears will fatigue at the end of the day and the low frequency hum usually means that the ear is tired in my case. The  energetic high frequency could have come from the music, signals that are clipping or from other causes. There is really not enough information on your setup and settings to make a determination in your case.  Always try to rest your ears  when they are humming or ringing. When you tried again without resting your ears the tinnitus can start again easy and you will be running a risk. The Onkyo application has power issues with some equipment and I would check more on the source side. Are you having the same issues when NOT upsampling to 192kHz which tends to be resource intensive on the player?

Very little noise actually, I had been home for 2 days as I had some time off work and uni and the loudest sound I was exposed to was the TV at an "ordinary" volume.
Unfortunately (well fortunately, really), it hasn't been repeatable. Upsampled or not, there hasn't been an issue again as of yet, although I only spent 15 minutes using my phone and the rest of the time was on PC.
However, I do have a hypothesis, especially after you mentioning power issues and perhaps it might help troubleshoot the issue (as audio electronics is not my field. I can generally get by just fine, but I'm no means an expert). My phone (GS4) has randomly been restarting itself today (4 times) and has previously done so in the past month (although I had put that down to pocket pressing at the time). My screen backlight has also been flickering. On occasion to begin with, and now quite frequently. I'm a stickler for RAM clearance, so from what I've read, it's potentially that something shorted when charging, or the battery is dying. Now, of this part I'm not certain, but it seems plausible (to me) that this could potentially have an effect on an audio signal. Unfortunately, I haven't found the precise issue, so I can't be more concise.
I'm probably just going to upgrade my phone though even if I do find the cause of the flickering, etc... as I'm more or less due for it.

May 22, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,756 of 9,047

http://ifi-audio.com/iclub/

"Membership of the iClub is “by invitation only.” Future invitations will be sent out with our other major marketing campaigns."

I was only just reading about it this afternoon. :)

May 22, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,757 of 9,047
Very little noise actually, I had been home for 2 days as I had some time off work and uni and the loudest sound I was exposed to was the TV at an "ordinary" volume.
Unfortunately (well fortunately, really), it hasn't been repeatable. Upsampled or not, there hasn't been an issue again as of yet, although I only spent 15 minutes using my phone and the rest of the time was on PC.
However, I do have a hypothesis, especially after you mentioning power issues and perhaps it might help troubleshoot the issue (as audio electronics is not my field. I can generally get by just fine, but I'm no means an expert). My phone (GS4) has randomly been restarting itself today (4 times) and has previously done so in the past month (although I had put that down to pocket pressing at the time). My screen backlight has also been flickering. On occasion to begin with, and now quite frequently. I'm a stickler for RAM clearance, so from what I've read, it's potentially that something shorted when charging, or the battery is dying. Now, of this part I'm not certain, but it seems plausible (to me) that this could potentially have an effect on an audio signal. Unfortunately, I haven't found the precise issue, so I can't be more concise.
I'm probably just going to upgrade my phone though even if I do find the cause of the flickering, etc... as I'm more or less due for it.

I do not use the Onkyo HF player application.  However my research indicates that since using the Onkyo application is resource intensive it was recommended that the phone is to be put into "airplane" mode to make sure that there is enough power available to run the app when up-sampling to 192kHz. This is mentioned on a few web sites. Since you are having issues currently with your phone, my guess is one of the cells in the battery is dying or partly broken trace on the phone circuit board. It is kind of pointless to do more troubleshooting until you know that your phone is 100% working correctly.

May 23, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,759 of 9,047
I have been using my micro for a while now, about 250 hours. Does anyone find it a little bright, tends to high light HF, and also a touch of cool sounding? Both headphone and DAC.

May 23, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,760 of 9,047
i wish that they can change the sound signature a bit as sometimes i too find it sometimes bright, maybe the can change the sound signature through firmware updates

but i love the ifi and no complains

Ifi is changing the sound signature a possibiltiy through firmware updates or is that not posisble at all, and if yes, can you try to give a bit of change to make it a bit less bright

May 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #3,761 of 9,047
  I have been using my micro fro a while now, about 250 hours. Does anyone find it a little bright, tends to high hight HF, and also a touch of cool sounding? Both headphone and DAC.

On my Retro I find that the new firmware to be a tiny bit more crisp all-round. The bass and the highs are clear and seems to be a bit more detailed. I like the new soft muting changes. Will try my micro next.

May 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,762 of 9,047
My micro iDSD is broken 
frown.gif
during my today listen session, the music loudness level goes to an extrem (!) low value. Doesn't matter if I feed over USB, coax or analog, Eco, Normal and Turbo Mode zero difference, battery is fully loaded, tried multiple headphones and I compared to my mirco iCAN (which works fine). It worked since last year November perfect each day - now I'm sad... But I will send the micro iDSD to my iFi dealer, which I bought the iDSD.

May 23, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,763 of 9,047
  My micro iDSD is broken 
frown.gif
during my today listen session, the music loudness level goes to an extrem (!) low value. Doesn't matter if I feed over USB, coax or analog, Eco, Normal and Turbo Mode zero difference, battery is fully loaded, tried multiple headphones and I compared to my mirco iCAN (which works fine). It worked since last year November perfect each day - now I'm sad... But I will send the micro iDSD to my iFi dealer, which I bought the iDSD.

I think you should try to contact IFI audio fist, they are really responsive. 

May 23, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #3,764 of 9,047
  On my Retro I find that the new firmware to be a tiny bit more crisp all-round. The bass and the highs are clear and seems to be a bit more detailed. I like the new soft muting changes. Will try my micro next.

To me, just me, IFI is going to the wrong direction on sound signature then. I want more "music flow" instead HF and crispness. 

May 23, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3,765 of 9,047
To my ears, Amp bright - But since most of my headphones are dark including the HD-650, it's fine for me.  The DAC to me just sounds neutral, and no brighter than my FIIO e17.  If anything it's less "sparkly" in the high end.

But yes, with my AKG 550s or 545s the top end can get to be a bit much if no EQ is applied to tame them.
in order for me:

JVC HA-SZ2000 - No need to adjust high-end brightness, just to bring up the mids as they are recessed with these headphones, but that has nothing to do with the iFi.

JVC HA-m55x - Same

Sennheiser HS650 - No adjustments needed at all.  A nice and even response top to bottom

Photive PH-BTX6 - No adjustments needed for most music, but may need to raise mids for jazz or folk music.

Sennheiser RS-180s - Has its own internal amp, so really DAC-only eval, and it sounds perfect with no need for EQ.  (What I largely base my DAC neutrality opinion from.)

Koss Porta-Pros - Don't normally use them with ANY EQ as they feel to "adjust" slightly depending on source and music to maintain a balanced presentation.  Might be psychological, but they have never needed any adjustment to my ears to sound smooth and even.

VMODA Bass-Freqs - Nothing to do here.  They are dark and syrupy, so the iFi just sounds "normal" on them.

AKG K550s - Top end can get screechy with certain tracks, so I drop th 16k & 10k values a bit.

AKG K545s - Same, but I only adjust the 10k & 6.3k.  The 16k makes no difference for some reason with the same tracks as listened to on the K550s in A/B comparisons.  (I bought them together to see which I'd prefer, but wound-up keeping both since the K545s travel so much better than the K550s.  They also double as my reference audio monitors when I'm shooting video, providing me with exactly what I'll hear in post-production.).

EDIT:  In fairness, I just recalled that I returned my Grado SR-225Es the moment I was sure that burn-in was far enough to get a fair idea of them.  (~150 continuous hours)  But that was also because they were incredibly uncomfortable for me.  I'd say 50/50 for shrill-ness then discomfort. Though I admit that they brought out incredible levels of detail.  I didn't own the AKGs at the time, but I am tempted to say that the Grados presented even more detail than the K550s do.  (Which says a lot from what I've heard.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back