iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,771 of 9,047
In my case it's usefull for my integrated amp (and passive speakers). I'm keeping Micro volume on minimum (and headphones are always plugged in) when I'm using Micro in direct mode with my main speakers ... and I just mute my speakers when I want to switch to and use Micro headphone amp.

HRT Microstreamer can operate in same fashion because of the dual outputs.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,772 of 9,047
  Chart of Overview and Specs (direct copy from sites)  for IFI Micro, Nano and Chord Hugo is available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPpUxz35yIeS01TYy1XVDBiRFE/view?usp=sharing

This is great, and a really nice idea, but maybe the cut-n-paste got a little ahead of itself?  (For instance: The weight of the Nano shouldn't be the same as the Micro, and I am positive that the physical dimensions are not the same....)

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,773 of 9,047
This is great, and a really nice idea, but maybe the cut-n-paste got a little ahead of itself?  (For instance: The weight of the Nano shouldn't be the same as the Micro, and I am positive that the physical dimensions are not the same....)

Ha ha...nope the weight boo boo is on the site itself not mine. Thanks for spotting it though.
My real question is which sounds the best.
Last time I looked, the result was 1 to the Hugo and .99999998 to the IFI, and save $2K!

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,774 of 9,047
Ha ha...nope the weight boo boo is on the site itself not mine. Thanks for spotting it though.
My real question is which sounds the best.
Last time I looked, the result was 1 to the Hugo and .99999998 to the IFI, and save $2K!

LOL I wasn't looking to imply that you were at fault.  I just wanted to point out the inaccuracy for any prospective buyers out there that might base their decision on one of those factors.  I LOVE my iDSD Micro, but it certainly isn't what I would call a "pocketable" mobile device.  It fits nicely into the big pockets of my winter coats, but no way I'm getting it into a pants pocket short of BAGGY cargo pants/shorts. 
blink.gif

I've been on the lookout for a Chord Hugo in the NJ area so that I can nab a quick A/B session between the HUGO and my iDSD Micro.  I'm completely NOT biased for or against either.  If the HUGO sounds better, awesome!  I'll have something to look forward too after paying-off the Christmas deficit.  If not, then no hard feelings.  If they sound relatively "on-par" with only one's inclination towards one method of presentation, or the other, then I'll be satisfied that I got/got near the performance of a ~$2500 USD piece of equipment for only ~$500 USD.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,775 of 9,047
In my case it's usefull for my integrated amp (and passive speakers). I'm keeping Micro volume on minimum (and headphones are always plugged in) when I'm using Micro in direct mode with my main speakers ... and I just mute my speakers when I want to switch to and use Micro headphone amp.

HRT Microstreamer can operate in same fashion because of the dual outputs.

Be aware that if you're using the 3D effect, you'll send the HP version to your amp and speakers... (and that it is so not cool !
atsmile.gif
  (both versions of 3D are great when applied to the correct piece of equipment 
L3000.gif
))

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,776 of 9,047

Be aware that if you're using the 3D effect, you'll send the HP version to your amp and speakers... (and that it is so not cool !
atsmile.gif
  (both versions of 3D are great when applied to the correct piece of equipment 
L3000.gif
))

Absolutely correct! BUT there is another Micro valuable feature. Xbass and 3D enhancements, as part of the design, are implemented in pre-amp section ... so effectively in direct mode signal is passing unmolested to analogue outputs and from there to my integrated amp input. 

So, in other words, Xbass and 3D are not effective in direct mode.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,777 of 9,047
The one thing I accidentally discovered less than 2 months ago while having my iDSD's RCA outs connected to my active speakers is that plugging something in the 3.5mm input makes it the default input… I didn't know that was what iFi meant by "preamp." So say, through the iDSD, I can connect my iPod Video through an LOD to my speakers while being able to increase/control output. Whether the preamp adds flavour to that signal, I have yet to test. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,778 of 9,047
Is the iFi Micro iDSD the poor man's Chord Hugo?

i would rather be the " poor" man in this case, price does not always tells how good things are. Seeing for how much the MicroiDSD goes used online tells me better grab one for the asking price right now and dont worry about rainbow colours...

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,779 of 9,047
Ah ah ah!
You're absolutely correct too!! :D
Guess I never noticed that feature as I've always used the micro as a preamp with speakers, but I'm sure it's been discussed (yup : http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-phase-3-show-a-little-leg-what-is-it-page-132/720#post_10624731 ) during the crowd design... silly me.

Speaking of preamps... I'm getting a Garage1217 project ember in the coming weeks, anyone tried the micro idsd -> ember combo? or specifically 3D enabled + a tube going through HP or speakers?

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,780 of 9,047

Speaking of preamps... I'm getting a Garage1217 project ember in the coming weeks, anyone tried the micro idsd -> ember combo? or specifically 3D enabled + a tube going through HP or speakers?

very much looking forward to your Ember impressions, have always admired it from afar. never pulled trigger since a Lyr 2 (and a Lyr 1 in past) was on my main desk.

ears and HE-560 did enjoy the micro iDSD to iTube to iCan stack I heard at RMAF tho, that tube sound was detailed yet smooth.  did seem a step up from the micro iDSD internal Amp.

hoping for more iTube magic in the future from iFi Engineers.
actually there are tubes in the Retro!

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,781 of 9,047

very much looking forward to your Ember impressions, have always admired it from afar. never pulled trigger since a Lyr 2 (and a Lyr 1 in past) was on my main desk.

ears and HE-560 did enjoy the micro iDSD to iTube to iCan stack I heard at RMAF tho, that tube sound was detailed yet smooth.  did seem a step up from the micro iDSD internal Amp.

hoping for more iTube magic in the future from iFi Engineers.
actually there are tubes in the Retro!

The micro iDSD>>iTUBE>>iCAN combo is interesting. Could you kindly elaborate on the sound difference vs micro iDSD alone?

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,782 of 9,047

The micro iDSD>>iTUBE>>iCAN combo is interesting. Could you kindly elaborate on the sound difference vs micro iDSD alone?

wow, that's a tough recollection to stand behind as my HE-560 headphones only were plugged into iTube>>iCan for a single 4min song perhaps, in the crowded RMAF hall.
what I can remember was my reaction:
the iTube>iCan set up with micro iDSD made HE-560 sound more akin to listening to my Lyr 2 than with micro iDSD amp section.

Lyr 2 provides a slight warmth and smoothness, still with deep bass (you can feel and hear) and detail, with a wide soundstage (tube dependent).
micro iDSD amp powering HE-560 usually sounds narrower in width, with deep bass (you can hear) and detail, but a tad less smoothness to the songs.

iTube>iCan presented more of that smoothness than micro iDSD amp I'd say, but maybe not with as wide a soundstage as Lyr 2 with premium tubes.
let's just say I'd love to hear more tube implementations by the iFi engineers, since their products won't require $200+ of NOS tubes to make it sound great and tube-like.

HTH.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,784 of 9,047
  What kind of interface does this cable provide and is this a simple plug and play to stream native PCM 24/96-192 from the Sony to the iDSD micro?

One side is the male WM-port that goes into the A15 and the other side is a female USB-A.

It isn't streaming. Basically A15 is the host and iDSD is the sleeve, similar to PC to USB DAC. Yes, it will play everything A15 supports.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,785 of 9,047

One side is the male WM-port that goes into the A15 and the other side is a female USB-A.

It isn't streaming. Basically A15 is the host and iDSD is the sleeve, similar to PC to USB DAC. Yes, it will play everything A15 supports.

Thanks ClieOS...  I will use the Sony by itself at the Gym and the two together when at a coffee shop or when traveling by air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back