iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,741 of 9,047
I was using this with a windows PC, cant figure out how to turn off the preamp section when I want to use the headphone section and vice versa

Any ideas?

I want to keep my speakers permanently connected 

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,742 of 9,047
Its all about the synergy
wink.gif

Math is the best example when it comes to this IMO.
Say "-3". If you need neutral [0], you "+3"
wink.gif
so if the amp is -3 the dac is +3, you get 0
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow! That is a really nice combo!

Its all about the synergy
wink.gif

Math is the best example when it comes to this IMO.
Say "-3". If you need neutral [0], you "+3"
wink.gif
so if the amp is -3 the dac is +3, you get 0
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow! That is a really nice combo!

I think the iPhone 6+ is a perfect size match to the Micro iDSD. I saw this at iFi counter at AV Fair in Guangzhou, China. Its beautiful and the most important thing is that the weight is acceptable. 
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,743 of 9,047
  I was using this with a windows PC, cant figure out how to turn off the preamp section when I want to use the headphone section and vice versa

Any ideas?

I want to keep my speakers permanently connected 

The way I have done it in the past and now with active monitors  is to use a power strip with individual switches on the power strip or a power command monitor stand that I am using. I combined the power on both monitors with a adapter so that one switch can control the power to the monitors. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,744 of 9,047
  The way I have done it in the past and now with active monitors  is to use a power strip with individual switches on the power strip or a power command monitor stand that I am using. I combined the power on both monitors with a adapter so that one switch can control the power to the monitors. 

...or use a RCA switch / AV selector between the iDSD micro and your speaker. Select a blank output when you only want headphone-out.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,747 of 9,047
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,748 of 9,047
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,749 of 9,047
  From a features standpoint they are very different.

They are also quite different in sound signature. I like Hugo's sound, but won't use it from reference purpose.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,750 of 9,047
They are also quite different in sound signature. I like Hugo's sound, but won't use it from reference purpose.
What's it's sound sig?

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,751 of 9,047
Yes, so I have tried to create a comparison chart.
Quite challenging to do as a new member here...
I'm unsure how this will appear or if you can open and refer to it...
Anyway let me post this table and see.

application.pdf

did this says nothing about SQ Sig...they have some similarities and differences from my most recent experiences...fyi. I don't own either of these. But have listened to them over the past two weeks at shops and hi fi show here in S'pore.

A/B comparisons would be great to hear about as well as everyone's views too.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,752 of 9,047
  Yes, so I have tried to create a comparison chart.
Quite challenging to do as a new member here...
I'm unsure how this will appear or if you can open and refer to it...
Anyway let me post this table and see.

application.pdf

Of course, this says nothing about SQ Sig...they have some similarities and differences from my most recent experiences. Fyi, I don't own either of these. But have listened to them over the past two weeks at shops and hi fi show here in S'pore.

A/B comparisons would be great to hear about as well as everyone's views too.

Huh? Can someone help please, I can see the chart above in preview but not when I submit it? Its in Excel...please advise, thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,753 of 9,047

Huh? Can someone help please, I can see the chart above in preview but not when I submit it? Its in Excel...please advise, thanks.

Is this a chart with your impressions or are you asking for impressions? If the former, just post it as a picture (screenshot). If it's the latter, post it as a link to a Google Drive spreadsheet.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,754 of 9,047
Seems like the US$2,500 Hugo is being bothered by the US$500 iFi micro iDSD...lots of unsolicited Hugo comparators coming in this iFi micro iDSD thread lately...

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,755 of 9,047
Seems like the US$2,500 Hugo is being bothered by the US$500 iFi micro iDSD...lots of unsolicited Hugo comparators coming in this iFi micro iDSD thread lately...

I don't own the Hugo, but have heard it in a private setting. iFi Micro iDSD does give it a run for the money especially if you use headphones that likes POWER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back