iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,759 of 9,047
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #1,760 of 9,047

Plenty of additional nice audio things can be bought with that $2000 difference to use with your micro iDSD!

For some stupid reason, I've never thought of it that way… like I'm looking at all these desktop amps and to use instead of the iDSD's headphone amp but for some reason I never related it to how it could possibly be used to make the iDSD way better than the Hugo. It seems unfair but cost wise in a home setup, it's a Hugo killer.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #1,761 of 9,047
Ain't the iFi micro iDSD warm and rich too with the digital filter pointed to Minimum Phase filter?

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,762 of 9,047
For some stupid reason, I've never thought of it that way… like I'm looking at all these desktop amps and to use instead of the iDSD's headphone amp but for some reason I never related it to how it could possibly be used to make the iDSD way better than the Hugo. It seems unfair but cost wise in a home setup, it's a Hugo killer.
I don't think there's even a desktop amp, let alone a portable one, who can belt out 10V and 4,000mW @16 ohms. And switchable to a lower 5.5V. And to even lower 2V. And still can be adjusted more for lower sensitive IEMs. And there's a bass boost. And there's a 3D holographic for better imaging.

So why still on the lookout for a desktop dedicated HP amp? The 2k could be spent on two Audeze LCD-2s, one fazor and the other pre-fazor...:D

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,763 of 9,047

Very true - plenty of other gear to match together with the micro when portability isn't as much a concern. At home you can fully use the powers of a computer source to upsample and take advantage of all the capabilities of the micro's DAC too. Then there's advanced equalization, etc etc...

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #1,764 of 9,047
Ain't the iFi micro iDSD warm and rich too with the digital filter pointed to Minimum Phase filter?

Regardless of what filter used, iDSD micro is not going to be nearly as warm / rich / smooth as Hugo.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,765 of 9,047
Regardless of what filter used, iDSD micro is not going to be nearly as warm / rich / smooth as Hugo.
Really? Can you listen to it again side by side now using Minimum Phase filter? That would be interesting as this 2 products seems to be in head on collision if price is non-issue.

Does the Hugo have interchangeable filters equivalent to the Minimum Phase filter (slowly rolled off treble with post-ringing, and with bit time domain/phase delta for warmer/deeper/fuller bass)?

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,766 of 9,047
Really? Can you listen to it again side by side now using Minimum Phase filter? That would be interesting as this 2 products seems to be in head on collision if price is non-issue.

Does the Hugo have interchangeable filters equivalent to the Minimum Phase filter (slowly rolled off treble with post-ringing, and with bit time domain/phase delta for warmer/deeper/fuller bass)?

Nope, I don't own the Hugo, but I did switch between the filter on the auditioning. The difference in sound signature is so obvious that you don't need a second listen to notice. Plus I recently asked someone who had also listened to both as well and he has the same opinion as mine.

Hugo doesn't have any interchangeable filter. One of Hugo sale point is the special digital filter they designed, so no point in letting user switch to something they don't believe is better. Don't ask me the detail though, as I have yet to come across any tech paper that explain the difference.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,767 of 9,047
Forgot to mention another pretty much useful, just discovered, feature. If you use direct mode surely enough analogue outputs will be fixed and it's desirable mode when external pre-amps are in place, so that Micro pre-amp is bypassed (and volume buffer in general). However, headphone pre-amp section is still active and reactive to volume control, filters and effects and analogue outputs are not muted when the actual headphone is connected.  So, in essence, one can use in parallel external amps and excellent Micro headphone amp with independent volume control. Very useful indeed!

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #1,768 of 9,047
Forgot to mention another pretty much useful, just discovered, feature. If you use direct mode surely enough analogue outputs will be fixed and it's desirable mode when external pre-amps are in place, so that Micro pre-amp is bypassed (and volume buffer in general). However, headphone pre-amp section is still active and reactive to volume control, filters and effects and analogue outputs are not muted when the actual headphone is connected.  So, in essence, one can use in parallel external amps and excellent Micro headphone amp with independent volume control. Very useful indeed!
In what situation is that useful? I mean, when do you use both an external pre-amp and the HO pre-amp+power amp out/jack at same time? DJ-ing?

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,769 of 9,047
Ah ... didn't put that right. In parallel, but not at the same time (although that's an option too). Many DACs I've tried either mute analog outs when headphone is just connected or enforcing variable output.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,770 of 9,047
In what situation is that useful? I mean, when do you use both an external pre-amp and the HO pre-amp+power amp out/jack at same time? DJ-ing?

ABing internal headphone amp vs external? I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back