If you've never tried Grado's before, why not?
Jan 30, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, soundstage is one of my favorite aspects of high fidelity sound systems so to sacrifice that for ear piercing highs, hollow mids and sub-par build quality/comfort isn't something I'm really ready to jump on the bandwagon for. :/

Hollow mids? Can't say I've ever thought that... not as good with vocals compared to others but I definitely wouldn't call the entire midrange hollow.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 73
Prices!

In Sweden the SR225 is almost as expensive as K701 (416$ vs 440$). The HD650 is cheaper (369$).

Compairing the prices at Headroom, you have to pay about twice as much for Grados here in Sweden. Unfortunately, Headroom can't sell any Grados to me...

However, I would love to try a pair of Grados someday - if the price is right.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In response to the original question, I think the reason many people don't own a Grado is strictly practical: cost. I would love to own a representative sample of all the different manufacturers, but it is not justifiable for me. Someday yes, but not at the moment.

Ditto.

Someday, Grado. Someday.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 73
someone post their sr-60's for sale that's not near retail price and I'll bite
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 73
I've been lurking here for over a year. Besides the Shure e2c the last headphones I purchased were Signet T44 probably 20 years ago.

I kept debating between Senns or Grado. Based on the posts here. I did try out a pair of Senns, don't remember which model at a local store. The Senns did not really turn me on. Actually the Bose sounded better to me. At least to my ears the Senns seemed to have a veil as described in several posts here.

Last weekend I did find a store here in Delaware that carries Grado. I tried out the SR225 and was blown away. I bought them and am really impressed with them compared to my Signet T44 and Shure e2c

I guess it all comes down to taste. But so far I'm in love with my Grado SR225.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #25 of 73
subtle, I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the physical appearence factor. To the untrained eye a Grado looks overpriced. People want "bling", and Grado is kind of anti bling. The simplistic industrial look is a turn off to most.
This of course is just based on a visual reference, definately not auditory.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 73
I can't be bothered to go all the way downtown just to listen to a pair of headphones, and I never go anyway.

Besides, I really love the warmth and smoothness of my HD-555. The only thing that I'd like more of is punchy bass, which can be had from the HD-650, I hear.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, sr60/ms1 are the starting cans to get. But of course I'm not interested in going any further than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

why fix something that aint broke?

Famous last words .....
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #29 of 73
Of the headphones in my profile...i keep grabbing my SR80.
I just like them for the punch and detail and fun (yeah i said it...FUN...lol, i know thats been the controversial word lately).

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 73
I'm looking for a pair of headphones myself, and listening mostly to metal, i was very happy reading about the grado sound. However, many people find them uncomfortable and they're nowhere to be found (for auditioning) in Romania, so i decided against buying and hoping they fit.

I can understand why some are unimpressed by their looks, but i really like them, i think they look very "personal". I'll definitely look for a hi-fi store when travelling abroad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back