If you've never tried Grado's before, why not?
Jan 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #31 of 73
I think the uncomfort thing is bit blown out of its proportions.

Hollow mids on Grado? On lower Grados, the lower midrange might be bit thin atleast with bowl pads, but not on my RS1. The midrange is simply superb and very full.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #32 of 73
Me too. Now I am getting some 325i's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, sr60/ms1 are the starting cans to get. But of course I'm not interested in going any further than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

why fix something that aint broke?

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #33 of 73
I don't own, ever owned and probably won't own any Grado headphone for three reasons:

1.- I don't like their sound. Can't stand its bumps in the mid-upper bass and the mid-highs. Remind me of the sound of a cheapo mid-fi rig played aloud with the loudness control switched on. I haven't listened to the whole range, but the three models I know sound about the same, so I wouldn't expect many improvements. Looking at the GS-1000 frequency response plot is just scaring.

2.- They're uncomfortable for my head and ears. I can't stand for longer than an hour something pressing directly on my ears.

3.- They look flimsy and not as well built as other headphones in their price range.

In spite of all that, I can understand and respect that other people find them perfect for the music they listen to, and the kind of sound they love.

Regards.

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #34 of 73
My first upper end phones were sr80's so I guess I grew to love the grado sound. So I like that in your face presentation.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 73
Two major reasons I don't have Grados:

i) reputedly poor value in Europe
ii) nowhere I know stocks them to try them first

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #37 of 73
It took me 5 years before deciding to try Grado.

Why? Maybe due to their expensive MSRP and the relatively high resale price of used units. Many of the review posts identify the "Grado sound" as unabashedly colored, too, and this may have been the biggest deterent for me.

That said, however, I'm glad I finally took the Grado challenge, but only coming about AFTER trying Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Ultrasone, Sony and Audio-Technica. Who knows? Maybe it's a secret aversion to a U.S.-made headphone! (Although my very positive experience w/the Etymotic ER-4S should have convinced me otherwise.)

Although I am still enamoured of my RAL/K701--which have handily beaten all popular, mid-fi headphone contenders from the ranks listed above [i.e. HD580/600/650, DT880(2005)/(2003), ATH-AD900LTD, Ultrasone HFI-2200, PL750/2500, Sony MDR-SA5000, AKG K501(?)--add Grado SR-225, MS-2, and now working on SR-325i(?)], Grados represent a highlight and a pleasant surprise along the way.

My alltime favorite headphones tried to-date include Grados:
(#1) RAL/AKG K701
(#2) RAL/Proline 750
(#3) {a very close third} Grado SR-325i
(#4) DT880(2003).

. . . Not bad for a stock set of cans contending with two appreciably more expensive, re-cabled versions.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 73
This thread has not turned into a "grado's are better than brand "X"" b1tchfest! Just stating facts and opinions, just like the poster asked. It'd be so easy for somebody to get all defensive about "their" brand of headphones. Makes me feel all warm and giddy inside.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 73
Well, it's pretty simple. There is no easy or cheap way to obtain a pair of Grados in Canada (iGrados being the exception). There are some Canadians store that stock Grados, but the prices are boosted to as much as twice their retail value (I've seen SR-125s retail for $300 CAD). Headroom could have been a viable solution but the manufacturer doesn't allow them to ship to my country.

On the other hand, Alessandro ships worldwide (and for free, nevertheless) which might why the MS1/MS2 headphones are increasingly popular outside of the United States.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the comments on the lack of soundstage from the grado is putting me off atm as this is what i loe about the triple fi

i may look at other brands instead now

???

Grado has small soundstage compared to other fullsize cans, but thats because drivers are so close to your ears and therefore it doesnt sound "BIG". I have hard time believeing it loses to IEMs, which are even closer to your eardrums.
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
???

Grado has small soundstage compared to other fullsize cans, but thats because drivers are so close to your ears and therefore it doesnt sound "BIG". I have hard time believeing it loses to IEMs, which are even closer to your eardrums.
confused.gif

im sure the grado has a bigger sound stage to the triple fi 10, but i think the triple fi has a bigger soundstafe than other iems

just like id want a set of cans that have a big soundstage, where (from comments) it seems the grados lack here

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #42 of 73
I don't own a Grado or any other brand because I'm currently very content with my HD650 and don't want to spend another few hundred Euro's for a headphone I might not like as much. In the future I probably will venture to other brands too, but cost is prohibiting me from that at the moment.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #43 of 73
My comment about Grado's having a hollow midrange has set some people off, it seems, while others are right there with me. I'll try to explain.

String instruments and vocals simply don't strike me as accurate through any of the Grado's I've heard. They have the detail (and some models have the texture, I suppose) that I like, but imo, when it comes to tone they lack body and bloom when compared to almost any other high end headphone I've heard. Sure they can twang, screech and sizzle electric guitar noises out pretty darn well, but the rest of their midrange leaves much to be desired. Even the KSC-75's midrange comes off as more tonally accurate to my ears.

For a guy like me -some one who puts emphasis on accurate vocal reproduction, sharp imaging and airy soundstage- Grado's simply don't cut it. The fact that the lower end Grado models feel as though they're made from recycled milk jugs and remain to be both sonically and ergonomically fatiguing doesn't exactly help, either. I've pounded my ears with the treble pretty well going through some shoddy sources and a pair of CD3k's (I know what that ice pick sounds like), but current production Grado's just have a way of making my teeth grit (excluding GS-1000).

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #44 of 73
I kind of like the looks of the Grados. My reasons for not getting them are that comfort is important to me and all the descriptions I've read of their sound signature describe almost the opposite of what I'm looking. And at the moment I'm very content with the phones I have.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #45 of 73
i first started out (and not to long ago) with a rs2.... and i love it..

i always wanted to try out grado before i got one.. but i didn't want to go for a lower version first... i wanted to start out big....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back