If you've never tried Grado's before, why not?
Feb 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some common reasons prople dont own / try grados:

-Expensive overseas and limited distribution.
-Curvy spectral presentation, boosted upper mids and bass does not always appeal.
-Deep-bass roll off (SR60-RS1).
-Closed in soundstage.
-Uncomfortable
-Cheap looking-feeling
-Build quality varies greatly
-Fragile / fall apart.
-Spinny earcups.
-Bulky TRS connector.
-Do not agree with Johns business practices.
-Cheap box
-Impedance is too low for higher gain amps.
-Unavailable in local B&M

You just got the point!

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #62 of 73
In my own experience, my first Grado is Alessandro MS-1, and i'm REALLY2x LOVE how it's sound, it's just open the gate to my upgradeitis.

In Just 1 month after got MS-1, i buy a SR225.

And then 2 weeks after got SR225, i ordered MS-2i

Before my MS-2i arrived, i switch my order to MS-Pro.......

After got MS-Pro..... still try other's cans like K701, DT880, HD650, D5000, even ED9........ But nothing compare to My beloved MS-Pro.

Now PS-1 is in my mind but i can't afford that price...... maybe someday...... must have that.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #63 of 73
For me I just do not have enough money for a good pair of Grados. I have actually invested some money in a pair of modded SR-60s just out of curiosity, but they have not turned up yet.

The biggest problem is shipping to Europe. If I take a look at Headphone.com or another webshop with a good reputation they are either based outside the EU and will not ship to Europe or else they are based in the EU with a bad rep and have insane prices. Lucky for me I found a fellow head-fier that would sell me his old.

I absolutely hate the fact that you cannot buy them in Europe without having to go through some dealer with a bad reputation or extreme pricing.

I will not comment on the quality of them since I have yet to get my own Grados.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #64 of 73
I'm a rocker and I love me them Grados!

Keep a set of bowls and flats handy and they're quite versatile as well. I have no complaints listening to Rap, Electronic and Jazz through my RS-1s (pad type varies). Though large scale symphonies are less than stellar through them, I usually listen to that type of music through speakers, so I have no complaints.

I also find them to be very comfortable, too, especially through bowls. The only Grado I've had comfort issues with has been the 325i/MS2i.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #65 of 73
Far too bright for me although I do own the iGrado and really like them. Being directly on the ear makes them more enjoyable than the SR 60. Plus none of the Grado's I have heard do well with hip-hop and I am not gonna fork out $400 or more for any headphone just to maybe like it.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #66 of 73
I bought Lambda Pros in ‘83 and my next pair of good phones were SR60s purchased in the mid nineties. I liked them then and I still like them now. Grados are not designed for classical music but since I have many phones that are, I can enjoy them as a pleasant diversion without needing to get caught up in the subtle and expensive distinctions that drive so many Grado discussions here. My next Grados were SR325is. After listening for a few weeks I sent them back because they don’t have the SS and 3D imaging classical music requires but I was nonetheless smitten by their fun factor. To scratch this itch I bought MS1s. Since I couldn’t return them, I felt compelled to learn to appreciate them and I did. This made me want SR325is all over again but this time reincarnated as MS2s. In the meantime I had upgraded my amplification to the LD MKIV SE and hoped this would make a discernable difference when I auditioned the MS2s. The MS2s arrived and for the next week I struggled to hear any difference that would justify their $200 premium but I couldn’t so away they went. If I listened to pop music, Grados would be my favorite phones and I’d be keenly interested in their subtle distinctions, but since I don’t, they’re not.

If Grados aren’t made for your music but you want to try them anyway, I recommend skipping all the subtle permutations of the SR series and going straight for the MS1s. For me they sound the same as MS2s, cost $200 less and weigh a lot less so they’re much more comfortable. For Grado fans this may be heresy but for the rest of us the MS1s are both a treat and a steal and what could be better than that?

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #67 of 73
Well its the wallet factor in my case fella. I have tried SR-60/80. But would fancy some RS-2 or higher, not enough funds free right now to invest on a headpone alone. Infact I am thinking of getting upgraded to Electrostats because I would like to have an infinite slope on my upgradation curve rather than a 45 degree one. I like to get surprised all the time. The only open headphones I had experience with are HD555s and might be an RS-1/2s would give me that bump or surprise I am looking for.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #68 of 73
I've had my SR-60's for years and still use them for most of my music downloads. But I honestly find these and the other grados I've auditioned to be a bit too bright. I've even tried my friend's RS-1s and same thing, perhaps not as bright, but equally piercing. As a result I have never given much thought to upgrading to higher end grados. I wish I could hear the MS series somewhere. Does anyone sell them with a 30 day trial period?

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #69 of 73
living in the uk the risk of customs, and then comfort worries is just to risky for me, and my current buying prices fall around the ms2/325, which seem to be the least comfy!

i would try the rs2 but the customs charge is too risky for me!

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #70 of 73
Subtle, sorry for any persuasion
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally I think Grados sound awful; I don't know any sane person that would buy them
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #71 of 73
i listen to electronic music exclusively, and i just don't see grado's outdoing =my ultrasone proline 750's and ray samuels audio hornet for the type of music i listen to.

if you are into rap/hip hop/dance music (particularly very bass heavy hip hop, drum n bass, and techno) you really owe it to yourself to listen to the 750's.

eric b

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #72 of 73
I've auditioned a pair of SR-225s once at a meet. While they were being universally praised by everyone else at the meet... I couldn't stand them, far too siblant for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back