If you've never tried Grado's before, why not?
Jan 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #46 of 73
Currently in the market for a set of cans, the Grado's appear to be very intriguing. However at the moment two things are holding me back. One of my roommates has the previous generation 325i's and they are beautiful (definitely an anti bling kinda guy) however the comfort is not all there me. Ultimately though, I'm looking for all around great sound...I don't have one particular genre of music I listen to more than the others.

In conclusion, with very few post and hours upon hours of reading I'm still no where close to making a decision that I feel comfortable with.
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #47 of 73
Comfort is an issue with grados but the sound is fantastic. If you have small ears they should be ok as long as you have new bowls(pads). I have found that as the bowls wear in the headphones start to get more uncomfortable. YMMV.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort is an issue with grados but the sound is fantastic. If you have small ears they should be ok as long as you have new bowls(pads). I have found that as the bowls wear in the headphones start to get more uncomfortable. YMMV.

I actually can't say I have small or large ears, they were just not completely comfortable. Have the pads changed since 2004?

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #49 of 73
I have heard most of the in-production Grado headphones (GS1000, RS1, SR325i, SR225, SR125, SR80, SR60). They sound alright, and the bigger ones have pretty good wearing comfort (especially the GS1000). But none of them appeal too me, so I don't own or plan to get any of them.

A mint HP1000 is a different matter though...
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #50 of 73
two reasons

1)not a rock/metal fan

2)the price. it's not as bad as some comparing to Canada or Europe but still not very good. it's about 30% more here in Hong Kong.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #52 of 73
A lot of us are into DIY tube amps and their really aren't any designs that can handle the low ohms of Grados properly. Its silly to have a complete line with only low impedance.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2)the price. it's not as bad as some comparing to Canada or Europe but still not very good. it's about 30% more here in Hong Kong.

Where in hong kong? was there over christmas, couldn't find any grados. Not in apliu or that building in mongkok either, or that basement place.

eventually bought mine in thailand before finding out there's a licensed store in manila where I'm from. Aarghhh!

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #55 of 73
I recently bought, and then sold within a month or so, a set of Grado SR-325i.

Couple of things put me off :

1) Their pricing strategy. In the UK, you can get Sennheiser HD650 or AKG-K701 for £180 new from most retaillers. The Grado SR-325i is £280. That's $200 more. My set were imported, and so I made a good saving - BUT I don't like the 'price fixing' attitude of Grado.

2) My SR-325i arrived with a ding in the metal. I don't expect that from a set of factory sealed, £280 headphones. It was only cosmetic, but a bit disappointing with something of such value.

3) They were nice and forward, which sounded great with some music, but I found my K701s were better suited to my wide musical taste.

I've got some Sennheiser HD650 coming in the next few days, and I look forward to seeing how they work.

I'd consider Alessandro in the future, perhaps the MS-2, to see how that compares.

I'm glad I bought an SR-325i, so I could get a taste of Grado, but in the EU, they are outclassed and WAY outpriced. In the USA, they are probably among the most affordable audiophile cans, but out here they've stupidly outpriced themselves. The Sennheiser HD595 is LESS than the Grado SR-80 over here. I got my HD595 for under £80 new, sealed, from an official retailler. The SR-80 retail at £99, and you rarely get them for less.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Hank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never listened to a Grado yet... but:

I will listen to any Grado if it comes around. That's a promise!

I've listened to them (SR-80) for a short while. Too short to say something about their soundquality, but what a uncomfortable HP this is. I DON'T like on-your-ear headphones, that's for sure.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #58 of 73
Had a tricked out ALO SR60 rig that sounded great with my portable rig but was extremely shrill (vs. HD600) through my stay-at-home X-Can V3. (impedance mismatch?)

Comfort issues play a major role for me in what I want in a headphone and I will not settle for anything less than soft plush leather or smooooooth velvet/velour. The headband on Grado's impress me as cheap and uncomfortable as well.

I have also listened to an old school HP1/HP2(???) and vs. HD600's, comfort issues aside, it just didn't impress me.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #59 of 73
I haven't tried any yet, but I am saving up for the SR225. But it will still be a while before I have enough money for them because I am probably going to buy the Atrio's first.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #60 of 73
some common reasons prople dont own / try grados:

-Expensive overseas and limited distribution.
-Curvy spectral presentation, boosted upper mids and bass does not always appeal.
-Deep-bass roll off (SR60-RS1).
-Closed in soundstage.
-Uncomfortable
-Cheap looking-feeling
-Build quality varies greatly
-Fragile / fall apart.
-Spinny earcups.
-Bulky TRS connector.
-Do not agree with Johns business practices.
-Cheap box
-Impedance is too low for higher gain amps.
-Unavailable in local B&M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back