If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 8, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #18,031 of 19,246
Man, it's like you were snake bit.
I have been wondering, surely other people's ER4 units are made similarly to mine, its just that I'm the only person bothered by the bass imbalance? I listen to bass-heavy electronic music , and I habitually detach and blindly re-attach the drivers to the cables , so I don't know which driver goes in which of my ears...
I would hear more sub-bass from one side, then when I take off the earphones and look at the serial numbers, the side with more bass is always the same driver

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #18,033 of 19,246
I like the Etymotic grey foam tips best. I like that they are not squishy soft, they really stick in place, and great isolation.
I prefer a triple flange. Been using these in gray for many years. https://www.earplugstore.com/roauprtrflti.html
Not ER4, but similar: I've had a set of ER6 for about 15 years. They still perform like new (measured with MiniDSP EARS): distortion < 1%, L to R balanced within 1 dB. Most headphones sound too bright to me personally, and the Etymotic curve takes this even further. This gives them a bright analytical sound. Yet at the same time, super clean and neutral. Yet even though they sound too bright in the upper mids / lower treble, they have no "air", little or nothing above 12 kHz.
I apply a 2-band parametric EQ:
low shelf @ 200 Hz Q=0.5 eventually reaching +6 dB @ 20 Hz
analog bell @ 2000 Hz Q=0.9, -3 dB
This makes them sound more neutral and natural to me.

On ear tips: I can't use the triple flange. They shove my ear wax up against my eardrums: it can take days for my hearing to go back to normal. Which is weird because I don't have more earwax than the average person. I wear deep insertion custom mold musician's earplugs that do not have this effect, so it's something about the Etymotic triple flange. Anyway, the Etymotic grey foam doesn't have this effect, and it's more comfortable. +1 for Etymotic quality, still working after all these years, original cable and everything.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #18,035 of 19,246
Aug 15, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #18,038 of 19,246
Hey everybody, I'm curious to which eartips isolate best ( not including foam ones )
I've used triple flange tips, and those never failed to isolate well. I've used both Ety's white triple flange tips (ER38-18-3) and Shure's (EATFL1-6), and Shure's flanges needed a little bit of stem trimming.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #18,040 of 19,246
I'm curious to try this but can't get it right. What settings did you use?

Try Low Shelf at 80 Hz, Gain -4, Q = 0.3 (makes ER4XR sound like ER4SR)

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #18,041 of 19,246
So the Ety ERX is out much of the comments on It is folk moaning It being Single BA despite Drop & Etymotic saying a reshelled ER4XR?. Can't say anything without the ER2XR or non Ety hybrid drowning out actual comments about ER3/ER4.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #18,042 of 19,246
Hey everybody, I'm curious to which eartips isolate best ( not including foam ones )
Ideally I would bet on the triflanges. In my case though, I hardly ever seal more than one of the 3 flanges in my ear canals(mess of chaotic changes in direction shape and diameter). As a result, most foamies do a better job having an easier time conforming to just about any shape.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #18,043 of 19,246
my experience for those who want a Yu9 ER4 clone, silvery white cable will turn green in few months...

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #18,044 of 19,246
o the Ety ERX is out much of the comments on It is folk moaning It being Single BA despite Drop & Etymotic saying a reshelled ER4XR?

I don't understand the timing of the complaints. Ety and Drop weren't hiding the fact that it'd be a single BA.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #18,045 of 19,246
I love the ER4XR. Super IEM but in comparison to EVO it almost sounds veiled(which is probably the last thing one can say about any Etymotic).
I understand people wanting the ERX, but I would much rather pay that extra to get the EVO and have so much more clarity. So, I will not be getting the ERX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back