If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 1, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #18,016 of 19,203
Tried the Drop + Etymotic ERX at CanJam London - Sonically almost identical to ER4XR. The only thing that altered the sound is that I couldn't get as deep a fit with the Evo form factor so the isolation wasn't as good for me.

But... Apparently, perhaps sometime next year, Ety are modifying the Evo shape to have a shorter stem which will allow the eartips to adjust to the shape and angle of ear canals better. It will also have a thicker cable. I think at that point I will consider the Evo as I tried that too and loved the sound. On a very short test, it was basically the ER4XR with amazing Sub-bass.
evo didn't have enough 7khz for me. my er4xt sounds firmer and and more solid in the treble. but evo did improve the sub bass...

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #18,017 of 19,203
A way to avoid this is to make sure they are tightly rolled before you put them in, put them in quickly, and then twist them as little as possible once they're in. In a narrow ear canal, I think the twisting motion will weaken and then rip the foam from the rubber ring.
Shure Olives also fit the Ety stems, and they are puffy and comfortable. Squash them down, let them expand in your ear.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0015PN3W6

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #18,019 of 19,203
I like the Etymotic grey foam tips best. I like that they are not squishy soft, they really stick in place, and great isolation.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #18,020 of 19,203
Tried the Drop + Etymotic ERX at CanJam London - Sonically almost identical to ER4XR. The only thing that altered the sound is that I couldn't get as deep a fit with the Evo form factor so the isolation wasn't as good for me.

But... Apparently, perhaps sometime next year, Ety are modifying the Evo shape to have a shorter stem which will allow the eartips to adjust to the shape and angle of ear canals better. It will also have a thicker cable. I think at that point I will consider the Evo as I tried that too and loved the sound. On a very short test, it was basically the ER4XR with amazing Sub-bass.
Apparently there was also Etymotic quad BA prototype according to Canjam London impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #18,022 of 19,203
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #18,024 of 19,203
Another user here with the ER2 (the SE).

I must say, even with all the hype, I'm impressed.

I've never heard any other piece of audio equipment (be it headphones/IEM's/speakers) that sounded so natural and effortless and, at the same time, so detailed. It's a revelation.

They have a very neutral bass response. In about 80% of my music, it sounds absolutely perfect. The other 20% would benefit from a slightly elevated response. However, at least for me, I believe the XR would ruin at least some of the other 80%.

Another surprise was the soundstage. I don't know if it's because they don't sound as "in your face" as I was expecting, but they actually sound quite large and airy.

For those that have them, they easily beat the Hifiman RE-400 and RE-600s, while having the same type of signature.

The fit is not perfect, but tolerable for me. I believe it will get better with time (on the second day with them, it was already better).

One concern for me is the cable. On first hearing, one of the sides was cuting. After pushing the MMCX cable onto the IEM, the problem solved. But I see this a common problem...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #18,025 of 19,203
Another user here with the ER2 (the SE).

I must say, even with all the hype, I'm impressed.

I've never heard any other piece of audio equipment (be it headphones/IEM's/speakers) that sounded so natural and effortless and, at the same time, so detailed. It's a revelation.

They have a very neutral bass response. In about 80% of my music, it sounds absolutely perfect. The other 20% would benefit from a slightly elevated response. However, at least for me, I believe the XR would ruin at least some of the other 80%.

Another surprise was the soundstage. I don't know if it's because they don't sound as "in your face" as I was expecting, but they actually sound quite large and airy.

For those that have them, they easily beat the Hifiman RE-400 and RE-600s, while having the same type of signature.

The fit is not perfect, but tolerable for me. I believe it will get better with time (on the second day with them, it was already better).

One concern for me is the cable. On first hearing, one of the sides was cuting. After pushing the MMCX cable onto the IEM, the problem solved. But I see this a common problem...
one of the first things i did with the 2xr is swap out the cable for the one etymotic includes with the 4 series. i did it mostly because i didnt like the rubbery feel of the 2 cable. so anyway, thats an option, it works with it and its a nicer cable. (but also not indestructible)

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #18,026 of 19,203
Are there any recommended alternative ER4XR-fitting cables with much less microphonics on Aliexpress? I've searched the forum for a few Ali shop names, and the only hit I got was Lunashops, and that was a negative review.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #18,027 of 19,203
one of the first things i did with the 2xr is swap out the cable for the one etymotic includes with the 4 series. i did it mostly because i didnt like the rubbery feel of the 2 cable. so anyway, thats an option, it works with it and its a nicer cable. (but also not indestructible)

Are people sure it's the cable and not the connectors on the IEM's themselves?

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #18,028 of 19,203
After spending a bit more time with my ER4XR, I'm enjoying them quite well. Had my first experience using them while mowing my lawn yesterday, and wow, this is the first time I could listen to music and actually enjoy it with a loud mower next to me. The amount of sound isolation is amazing, and probably contributes to the detailed sound.

I'm by no means an audiophile, this is the closest headphone purchase I've made to "audiophile quality". So I may look back on this someday with a different viewpoint. My previous experience with headphones are Shure SE425, CCA C12, and Earfun Free Pro 2 Bluetooth (with internal EQ applied).

I was looking for a "studio reference" type of headphone, similar to the HD600, but in an IEM form-factor. I bought these as a musician for guitar practice and live stage use. What I find is they almost "dissect" the music compared to my previous headphones. I'd say sometimes the music as a whole is less exciting to listen to because its almost as if you're removing the filter from an Instagram post. You can hear the recorded parts of the song with more detail, for better or worse. They don't sound as blended (smeared?) together as in a normal headphone. For me as a musician learning parts and wanting to hear how I fit in a live mix, this is absolutely perfect, and exactly what I want. But for people just listening to music for pleasure, I sometimes wonder if the lack of any "color" or "blending" makes them almost too precise for that purpose. For myself I love them. Don't get me wrong, they sound great for music listening as well, I just find if you're coming from a standard headphone with a more "V-shaped" curve, you might be surprised.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #18,029 of 19,203
Are people sure it's the cable and not the connectors on the IEM's themselves?

Besides 1 defective pair I got, I think most of the issues I've had with these cords over the years have been the result of the wire starting to fray near the connector, after getting caught on something while walking by.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #18,030 of 19,203
You should send it back to Etymotic. If it is unbalanced, they will repair/replace. I believe they consider something like 0.1 or 1 db mismatch unbalanced.
I am not in the United States and buying a new pair of ER4-SR's ends up being cheaper than paying for shipping and customs to get my current pair replaced by Etymotic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back