If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #14,101 of 19,251
Basically if u want a clean mids, don't buy XR version.

I highly disagree about it. As you can see in this graph, is true that there's a hump on Bass, but the mids are untouched.

ER2XR vs ER2SE.png

So, some can perceive the mids as a little more upfront on the SE, compared to the XR, due to the less bass. But, there's nothing about the mids being dirty on the XR version. The same can be told about the ER4 and ER3 brothers.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #14,103 of 19,251
I highly disagree about it. As you can see in this graph, is true that there's a hump on Bass, but the mids are untouched.

So, some can perceive the mids as a little more upfront on the SE, compared to the XR, due to the less bass. But, there's nothing about the mids being dirty on the XR version. The same can be told about the ER4 and ER3 brothers.
oh god, you cant have the best of mids if you have bump on bass. Unless you have something like KSE1200. A super stupid fast driver. We are talking about top of the line mids here

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #14,105 of 19,251
Can you explain the relationship between "fast drivers", Mid-range performance and bass quantity?
Fast driver can handle many freqs at the same time without bleeding to any other freqs.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #14,107 of 19,251
Fast driver can handle many freqs at the same time without bleeding to any other freqs.
my guess is that this is a very crude oversimplification or just a false idea. or maybe you're talking only about subjective impression of speed, which can have many causes related or not to actual max speed of the driver?

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #14,108 of 19,251
my guess is that this is a very crude oversimplification or just a false idea. or maybe you're talking only about subjective impression of speed, which can have many causes related or not to actual max speed of the driver?
that's the oversimplification for someone that has no idea on it. I dont think giving the whole story is a good way to let him know else it sounds overwhelming. Let things one by one for someone to absorb!

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #14,109 of 19,251
oh god, you cant have the best of mids if you have bump on bass. Unless you have something like KSE1200. A super stupid fast driver. We are talking about top of the line mids here

that's the oversimplification for someone that has no idea on it. I dont think giving the whole story is a good way to let him know else it sounds overwhelming. Let things one by one for someone to absorb!

I think I'm not the "someone who has no idea on it"...

There's no need for ultra-fast drivers (like the ones on the KSE 1200) for great Mid-Range performance, even when there's some Bass Hump. The Senheisers HD58X Jubilee, HD660S and HD650 use dynamic drivers not so fast, have Bass hump and deliver GREAT midrange performance. In addition, there is no interference of one frequency over the others.

Besides that, there are several IEM examples as well, such as the Etymotic XRs, Tanchjim Cora, Tanchjim Oxygen, Moondrop Kanas Pro, Sony MH1C ...

In addition, I doubt that the Shure KSE 1200 has better Mid-Range performance (more correct mids) than an etymotic ER3XR, for example, regardless of driver speed, with a graphic like this:

graph.png

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #14,110 of 19,251
I think I'm not the "someone who has no idea on it"...

There's no need for ultra-fast drivers (like the ones on the KSE 1200) for great Mid-Range performance, even when there's some Bass Hump. The Senheisers HD58X Jubilee, HD660S and HD650 use dynamic drivers not so fast, have Bass hump and deliver GREAT midrange performance. In addition, there is no interference of one frequency over the others.

Besides that, there are several IEM examples as well, such as the Etymotic XRs, Tanchjim Cora, Tanchjim Oxygen, Moondrop Kanas Pro, Sony MH1C ...

In addition, I doubt that the Shure KSE 1200 has better Mid-Range performance (more correct mids) than an etymotic ER3XR, for example, regardless of driver speed, with a graphic like this:

:)
i dont want to comment much if dont even get hands on them.
Kanas Pro is nowhere near mids of KSE. I had it. Ask someone who u trust. Crin maybe? KSE graph is different from the other graph. It will not look the same as the others. I have to admit that er-se series has the similarities in mids but if you are saying KPE has better mids compare to KSE, that's a lot more u need to hear before jumping into a conclusion. Cheers!

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #14,111 of 19,251
Kanas Pro is nowhere near mids of KSE. I had it. Ask someone who u trust. Crin maybe? KSE graph is different from the other graph. It will not look the same as the others. I have to admit that er-se series has the similarities in mids but if you are saying KPE has better mids compare to KSE, that's a lot more u need to hear before jumping into a conclusion. Cheers!
Kse is the one that has high distortion and dip around 4khz.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #14,112 of 19,251

I talked about the ER3XR vs the KSE, but i believe the KPE has more correct mids than the KSE too. I'm not talking here about details, transients and things like that. Frequency Response, for me, is the main thing to look at.

I use Crin Graphs as Reference, but a i disagree with a lot of his reviews; we have different opinons about some characteristic, so i don't rely on his reviews.

About Graphs, they are objective elements; unlike subjective opinions which are often contaminated by marketing bull, a lot of misconceptions and snake oil stuff.

Graphics has proven me to be a great tool. They don't say everything about a Headphone/IEM, but they say the main thing, which is Frequency Response and Tonal Balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #14,113 of 19,251
I talked about the ER3XR vs the KSE, but i believe the KPE has more correct mids than the KSE too. I'm not talking here about details, transients and things like that. Frequency Response, for me, is the main thing to look at.

I use Crin Graphs as Reference, but a i disagree with a lot of his reviews; we have different opinons about some characteristic, so i don't rely on his reviews.

About Graphs, they are objective elements; unlike subjective opinions which are often contaminated by marketing bull, a lot of misconceptions and snake oil stuff.

Graphics has proven me to be a great tool. They don't say everything about a headset, but they say the main thing, which is Frequency Response and Tonal Balance.
i understand about the graph. I use the graph all the time too. But sometimes graph doesnt do justice for everything. It's more like a flavor instead of the true sound. I bought KPE with a mind of clear mids and a mild of good bass but the mids are not clear define as er series. The upper midbass really bothers the mids. About the ER3XR and KSE, ive said in the post already. The mids of etys is like KSE. Clean sounding but to have the best mids of ER series, the SE version is the best since the bass is not overbearing the mids. KSE in the graph looks like a hump on bass but in reality the bass is really tight. It doesnt look like in the graph. Which make the mids alone. That's why i prefer the er2se rather than er2xr. Hope people understand my words. My mother tongue is not english so bear with me!

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #14,114 of 19,251
Please keep the discussion civilized. You don't have to agree others' opinion, but at least respect them.

Sep 13, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #14,115 of 19,251
If anybody wants to try the etymotics line for cheap, I'll sell my old hf5s for $50 including tip adapters I made from shure olives that allow you to use pretty much any tip under the sun. I just installed a new filter yesterday. I have the foam insert and box for them, they will come with the changing tool. The triple flanges are a little squished, I never used the ety foam tips. One driver has some scratches on the soft touch coating on the underside from a zipper, it gets mostly covered by the triple flange. Pm me (I'm in NH)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back