1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...

First

Back
930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939
941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950
Next

Last
  1. lesale08
    We've all been there before and what good way to pay it forward than helping those who are just starting in this hobby. :beerchug:

castleofargh and Schwarzschild like this.
  2. ClieOS Contributor
    [​IMG]

episiarch likes this.
  3. twiceboss
    Hey guys, i had er2se before and like it a lot but the deep insertion somehow bothers me. And now im missing the sound of the mids etys for that transparent and its clarity for vocals. So, i wanna buy etys again. I have 2 questions here:

1. Is there any tips that is bigger that Large 3 flange of the given in the box of er2se? (i need a bigger one i guess so that the tip of the earphones didnt touch my end of ear, i got a pretty shallow ear, that's why it bothers me a lot)
    2. What about er4sr? Is the mids is even cleaner? Like sound more open and well more separated than er2se?

Let me know! Thanks in advance!

4. arrowheads
    Hello

Did anyone compare ER2SE and ER3SE? I would appreciate any opinions on them

I generally like warmer signatures, so I opted for an ER2XR. Unfortunately I had to return them, as they appeared too boomy. Now I am looking at ER2/3 SE.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. twiceboss
    ive read past posts. The er2se is more resolving and cleaner. Go for er2se.

add: er2se has lower distortion than er3

6. AudioNoob
    You can use:
    westone star tips in foam or silicone
    shure olives (eabkf1)
    shure silicones
    symbio wa
    any other tip using the symbio or spin-fit adapter / or any other adapting doohicky that you might devise to add to the width of the nozzle
    comply t100 or ts100
    probably some others I'm forgetting.

you can also cut the smallest flange of the 3 flange and see if that helps.

twiceboss likes this.
  7. arrowheads
    Thanks! Would you please elaborate on that? For example, what are the differences FR-wise?

I consider myself a bit sensitive to treble and would prefer less highs over chance of sibilance.

8. twiceboss
    Thanks! this helps!

you cant see much on the FR since all etys has the same tuning. It depends on the capabilities of the driver. The DD on er2 is really amazing compare to the BA of er3.

add: since u already have er2xr, the er2se is basically the cleaner version of er2xr. So definitely go with the se version since you are facing a boomy problem. Same with my preference as i dont like any boomy on the mids.

9. Dealux
    I don't know about that. It might just be a difference in tuning and how the BA reproduces detail vs a DD. I would wager the ER3 is the more detailed one overall but the tuning is a bit too warm and weird. ER4XR is the one I would recommend. You can't even hear the bass boost on that one since it's something like 2 dB and BA drivers aren't as powerful as DD.

That's not a meaningful comparison. THD graphs aren't absolute. Impulse response is also a factor. From my subjective listening tests, I could tell you the ER4 completely obliterate any full size mid-fi dynamic in the $300+ range in terms of detail across the entire frequency range, especially the treble (where you actually get an unusual amount of depth that is not expected for this price range). And the ER4 has more distortion in the mids compared to something like an HD600, but the latter sounds too grainy and harsh on many songs compared to the ER4. So yeah, despite the 1% THD in the mids on the ER4, the detail is still top notch and hard to beat for the money. The ER3 has similar or identical resolution but the tuning is weird, bass is too boomy (seems artificially enhanced, almost like DD bass), etc.

10. twiceboss
    DD bass on er2se is clean. The xr version is boomy. Look at the graph. Also, er2 has lower distortion level than er4.
    [​IMG]

11. Dealux
    HD600 also has lower distortion than the ER4, yet the ER4 sound a lot cleaner. You really can't judge resolution based solely on THD graphs.

Edit: ER3XR bass is a bit thuddy but not excessively so. ER4XR is much cleaner but despite the boost in bass it does not sound like dynamic driver bass at all. It's not as powerful so it's much more difficult to compare bass between DD and BA.

12. arrowheads
    I can't really read graphs when I don't understand the metric being shown and how the graph was made. Sure, lesser distortion is better, but is it really is audible? Maybe the graph was made at a volume where you'll lose your hearing before you hear that something is distorted. Or something like that.

I think elevated/recessed mids/highs (on FR graphs) correspond to actual audible differences a lot of people would agree on. Are there any measurements of ER2SE/ER3SE on the same rig so they could be directly comparable?

13. twiceboss
    Hey, that's distortion graph not the freq graph.

14. Dealux
    DDs seem to struggle to maintain a linear FR in many cases. Even though the THD is relatively high on the ER4, the speed of the driver makes up for it to my ear. Of course, the size of the driver (BAs are smaller) means it will struggle a little to push that air and it seems to be noticeable in its dynamics somewhat. They're sort of soft sounding and can be annoying for some but the FR accuracy is world class on the ER4.

15. arrowheads
    Yep! I'm saying it's hard to make correct statements about sound just by looking at a distortion graph. And FR graphs are much more easily interpretable, so I'm asking about these. First hand impressions are also appreciated, if anybody has any.

edit: oratory1990 on reddit does not have graph for ER3SE, crinacle does not have graph for ER2SE. Maybe there were comparable measurements somewhere along thousands of posts in this thread?

twiceboss likes this.
First

Back
930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939
941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950
Next

Last