IEM's with powerful bass, large soundstage, sparkly treble
Sep 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #48 of 57

Quote:
you mean "wrong" since that is really subjective.  to my ears, at least, theres not much wrong with them.  i know probably 100% of people disagree with me but i love the way they sound. i was not blown away by the DBA 02s and when i first heard them i was like "this is it? this is what everyones been raving about?" 

no he means wrong and hes very right, the S4 gets a ton of things wrong

Quote:
Sound is EXTREMELY subjective.

no its not, whats extremely subjective is ones preferences.  while |joker| does personallp prefer a brighter, harder sound and i the more or less oposite, we usually come fairly close to agreeing about how good something actually is.  there is a big difference between somethnig being better and just prefering something.

of course i still think he was being wildly generous to the MTPC

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #50 of 57
Id also like to toss in the Hippo Epic Sparkles which really impressed me a lot in recently days. 
They've got more bass than I've ever seen in an iem.  With my sansa fuze bass EQ all the way down to 0, it still is pretty hefty.  

Stage is definitely on the large size in terms of tallness, not that wide though.  Cant say about the sparkling highs though, it does highs "okay"

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #52 of 57

Quote:

Definitely an option that is so often overlooked.  The Denon IEM is quite good.  I'd call it on par with things like the RE-ZERO and Custom 3.  They offer a lot of good qualities and a unique enough dynamic driver that there isn't much else that performs quite like it.  The driver is nearly effortless in dynamics and loosely controlled.  It makes for a very transparent highly revealing sound with good dynamic range, articulation, and resulting sound stage.  They sound natural and realistic.  Build quality is good to boot.  Frequency response is also excellent being very flat and well extended.  I do suggest using bi-flanges on them though.  The small single flange tips simply place the earphone too in-ear and does affect the frequency response, giving some emphasis to the midbass and lower treble.  It just balances out stepping to a bi-flange tip. 

There are a couple downsides to this IEM.  First, isolation is non-existent, and I do mean that as literally as those words mean.  There is none, zero, isolation from these things.  You might as well have an earbud in your ear instead because that's how much you get, zero.  Second, the loosely controlled driver has output limitations.  It turns out that above medium listening levels the bass begins to lose a bit of control and muddies up quite readily.  It's simply at higher throw of the driver it just lacks the ability to constrain the motion.  You can listen to them loud, and they will play ok, but there is a specific limitation there in terms of cleanliness.  I used to thing it was that the driver simply didn't have enough throw.  More recently I feel it's simply that the driver is lightly damped and in pretty much an infinite baffle enclosure(well aperiodic since it is tuned).  The open design is also the reason why isolation is nil.  The driver itself is really efficient and very light.  It's fast and articulate, and I do feel the benefits of the design outweighs the limitations.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #53 of 57
That's the weird thing about the M11+ in my opinion. It might be technically proficient but it really doesn't have the immersion factor. The Eterna is the exact opposite (and the Silver Bullet has the best of both worlds).

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #55 of 57
I see earphone error in two lights: coloration (subjective) and incapability (objective).  Some earphones just do things wrong or simply can't do things at all.  This isn't a preferential thing.  The earphone just doesn't output sound right.  It is faulted.  Coloration on the other hand is completely subjective and fits or does not fit personal preferences.  The Triple.Fi 10 is a good example of an earphone with minimal real faults but has moderate coloration.  In my eyes it's one of the better earphones on the marktet in terms of not doing things flat out wrong.  However, it is quite heavily a hit or miss game in terms of sound signature due to the coloration.  Many people complain about the V shaped response and recessed mids.  That's subjective.  It's simply part of the design of the earphone by UE's sound engineers.  It doesn't present mid frequency information poorly.  Mids are actually quite good on the earphone.  It's simply the coloration that comes into play when people subjectively rank them.  A lot of my ranking and reviews bypass coloration completely.  I prefer to focus on pure operation as much as possible and then relate some subjective info to the way the earphone operates.  Because of this approach, I have come to the conclusion that a LOT of midrange and high end earphones are largely unflawed.  There's small shortcomings here and there, but they simply are not massively flawed  like cheaper options.  Instead the worth of these earphones comes almost purely down to coloration and personal preference. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #56 of 57

Quote:
I see earphone error in two lights: coloration (subjective) and incapability (objective).  Some earphones just do things wrong or simply can't do things at all.  This isn't a preferential thing.  The earphone just doesn't output sound right.  It is faulted.  Coloration on the other hand is completely subjective and fits or does not fit personal preferences.  The Triple.Fi 10 is a good example of an earphone with minimal real faults but has moderate coloration.  In my eyes it's one of the better earphones on the marktet in terms of not doing things flat out wrong.  However, it is quite heavily a hit or miss game in terms of sound signature due to the coloration.  Many people complain about the V shaped response and recessed mids.  That's subjective.  It's simply part of the design of the earphone by UE's sound engineers.  It doesn't present mid frequency information poorly.  Mids are actually quite good on the earphone.  It's simply the coloration that comes into play when people subjectively rank them.  A lot of my ranking and reviews bypass coloration completely.  I prefer to focus on pure operation as much as possible and then relate some subjective info to the way the earphone operates.  Because of this approach, I have come to the conclusion that a LOT of midrange and high end earphones are largely unflawed.  There's small shortcomings here and there, but they simply are not massively flawed  like cheaper options.  Instead the worth of these earphones comes almost purely down to coloration and personal preference. 

ahhh, i was in utter agreement right up untill because

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #57 of 57
Yeah, it's debatable, but in my own use I have found that a lot of these mid to high end products really don't do a whole lot wrong.  Are they all on the same level?  Not quite, but they're close, close enough to not really care.  With personal preference playing the bigger role here, preference can outweigh the small difference in holistic performance.  This is why I say that.  Why can a RE-ZERO or Custom 3 compete with the IE8, SE530, etc?  This is why.  They are simply good enough to not be far off and their sound will fit certain people's personal preference better which makes products like these a better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back