IEM's with powerful bass, large soundstage, sparkly treble
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

nate5709

Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for IEM's with extended, strong, and hard-hitting, but not bloated, bass, warm mids, and somewhat sparkly treble. I also want a large soundstage.

I recently bought MEElec M11+'s after creating this thread. I absolutely love the comfort, but the soundstage and bass are not where I want them to be. I'd like bass with a heavier punch to it and a more open soundstage.

Like I stated in the previous thread, I listen to a lot of alternative metal (System of a Down, Disturbed, Mushroomhead, etc.) and I would like IEM's with a somewhat similar sound signature to my Beyer DT770/80's. I will be using these IEM's unamped and I'd like to get them for <$70.

So far my options seem to be the Fischer Audio Eterna v1/v2, Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Hippo VB, and Panasonic HJE900. Can anyone comment on or add to these?

Thanks for any help.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 57
I think it might be a bit difficult to find something with powerful bass, large stage and a nice sparkle at the top at under $100.

The Eterna I have although v1 should be pretty similar to the v2 but it's more of a bass and mids earphone. If you have a good EQ you can bring out the treble some more but it won't compare to the treble of a RE0. Sealing the vents is supposed to bring out the treble and taming the bass as well. The treble isn't bad but it is a bit recessed to my ears.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 57

Quote:
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for IEM's with strong and punchy, but not bloated, bass and somewhat sparkly (or even a bit edgy) treble. I also want a large soundstage.

I recently bought MEElec M11+'s after creating this thread. I absolutely love the comfort, but the soundstage and bass are not where I want them to be. I'd like bass with a heavier punch to it and a more open soundstage.

Like I stated in the previous thread, I listen to a lot of metal and I would like IEM's with a somewhat similar sound signature to my Beyer DT770/80's. I will be using these IEM's unamped and I'd like to get them for <$70.

So far my options seem to be the Visang R02, Visang R03, Klipsch Image S4, Fischer Audio Eterna, NuForce NE-6, SuperFi 5, and the Xears TD100. Can anyone comment on or add to these?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Does anyone know what the TD100-II's sound like?

Check out my signature............Im listening to UGK right now.  They bump. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 57

Quote:
I'm willing to give up the sparkly treble if no IEM's with it and my other preferences exist in my price range.

Then I'd recommend the hippo VB. You're unlikely to find an IEM at that pricepoint with better bass quality and sub-bass impact. Soundstage is also quite impressive. Treble isn't sparkly, but it's not bad either. They do however cost $80 new with free shipping, so it's $10 over budget. Nonetheless, you should be able to find a used pair for around $60.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 57
^^ Good suggestion.
smile_phones.gif

However some people have reported sibilance with the VBs. So if you are sensitive to sibilance I would give these a miss.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 57
Alright, I did some extra research on the Hippo VB's and I'm a bit worried about their lack of warmth. The bass looks like it'll be fantastic, but I like warm mids and the Hippo's don't seem to offer that. I wish I could try them out.

I'd still like more info on the Silver Bullet's, the HJE900's, and the Sony MDR-XB40EX's from anyone who has experience with them.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 57
Stay away from those Sony headphones. The bass is good, but it muffles out the rest of the sound, especially the mid-range. For less than $70, I would recommend buying the Sennheiser CX 400-II Precision headphones.

They have good clarity, and fantastic bass, however the soundstage isn't really there. The only headphones I can think of that have all the requirements you mentioned, are the Sennheiser IE 8's, but they are well off your price range.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 57
id say hje 900, big powerful well shaped and textured bass ,( not bloated ) bright sparkly treble ,very detailed , and slightly warm midrange with a good sized soundstage , puts out a quality  sound that can compete with much more expensive  iems, very energetic  
L3000.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 57

Quote:
How does the Hippo VB bass punch compare to the Silver Bullet and HJE900's (I'm just curious, could get them used)?

Also, how is the overall SQ of the Sony MDR-XB40EX?

Quote:
Alright, I did some extra research on the Hippo VB's and I'm a bit worried about their lack of warmth. The bass looks like it'll be fantastic, but I like warm mids and the Hippo's don't seem to offer that. I wish I could try them out.

I'd still like more info on the Silver Bullet's, the HJE900's, and the Sony MDR-XB40EX's from anyone who has experience with them.

I own the HJE900, not the VB. From my understanding, the HJE900 is warmer than the VB. The Pannies have a bit of a mid bass hump, whereas the VB extend downwards further and more linearly. I think the hump gives the pannies more impact relative to the VB(comparisons aside, the HJEs certainly do have a lot of impact). The HJE900s have somewhat recessed mids, but they are on the warm side. I consider their treble to be sharp and sparkly, some consider it to be harsh. Not sibilant if the music isn't, but just too hard hitting. They have a great soundstage, but it isn't necessarily the largest. I'd say above average. Imaging, positioning, and separation are quite good though. More specifically, they have more depth relative to other IEMs. They are very energetic IEMs. Too much for some, just right for me
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back