IEM's with powerful bass, large soundstage, sparkly treble
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #31 of 57
The Eterna v1 or v2? I've read the v1 has a better soundstage, but both versions do look pretty enjoyable to listen to.

As for the Silver Bullets, how powerful and deep is the bass? As I've said before, the M11+ isn't quite enough for me.

Also, I'm now seriously considering getting the HJE900's with the price drop. The sound is supposed to be fantastic with them (sparkly treble!), and while the soundstage isn't huge I've read it has good depth.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #32 of 57
Just keep in mind that no earphone sound stage will compare to a full sized one. We are taking a very limited space with earphones and their "head stage". Even the smallest stage of an open headphone that I've heard will beat the stage of the best earphone I've heard imo of course.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #33 of 57
I think you would benefit from using an Equalizer, and hope that your DAP has a good one. In my experience this is the only way to get close to what you seem to need while keeping your budget intact.

If you can make do with an on ear headphone, I thing the Koss PortaPro fulfills most, if not all, of you requirements quite nicely, at only $30.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #34 of 57

Quote:
stevenswall said:

I think you would benefit from using an Equalizer, and hope that your DAP has a good one. In my experience this is the only way to get close to what you seem to need while keeping your budget intact.

If you can make do with an on ear headphone, I thing the Koss PortaPro fulfills most, if not all, of you requirements quite nicely, at only $30.

Of course I use an equalizer if the sound isn't to my liking, but it can only help so much. The EQ on my mp3 player is decent; I would probably be okay will something like the Eterna's if I upped the treble levels a bit. The EQ doesn't help much with bass impact though if the IEM's can't handle it (after upping the bass to a certain extent, the sound just gets really bloated for my M11+'s), and it doesn't help at all with soundstage.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #35 of 57

Quote:
Stay away from those Sony headphones. The bass is good, but it muffles out the rest of the sound, especially the mid-range. For less than $70, I would recommend buying the Sennheiser CX 400-II Precision headphones.

They have good clarity, and fantastic bass, however the soundstage isn't really there. The only headphones I can think of that have all the requirements you mentioned, are the Sennheiser IE 8's, but they are well off your price range.

This is not true.  I owned the UE superfi 4s which have huge mids and treble..............and even though they had more than the sony, there wasnt a big difference.  Now on bass?  The sony knocked the superfi 4 into the dirt. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #39 of 57
You should learn to distinguish the difference between preference and ability of an earphone. That said I have both the HJE900 and the Eterna v1 and I do not consider the Eterna to be superior in every way.

I'd say the HJE900 bass is much better controlled. The Eterna can be borderline boomy with some sources. I'd imagine a warm source paired with the Eterna would not be too good of a choice. The Eterna however has more bass quantity esp in the mid bass where it has quite the mid bass hump.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 57

I guess we just prefer totally different sound signatures because I read your review on the DBAs and saw how much you liked them.  I got a pair and I did not like them at all.  Sure, there was great detail and clarity but I much prefer my Klipsch S4s.  My favorite IEMs that I own are the W3s though.  DBA is overrated just like the Panny's imo

Quote:
You should learn to distinguish the difference between preference and ability of an earphone. That said I have both the HJE900 and the Eterna v1 and I do not consider the Eterna to be superior in every way.

I'd say the HJE900 bass is much better controlled. The Eterna can be borderline boomy with some sources. I'd imagine a warm source paired with the Eterna would not be too good of a choice. The Eterna however has more bass quantity esp in the mid bass where it has quite the mid bass hump.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:
I guess we just prefer totally different sound signatures because I read your review on the DBAs and saw how much you liked them.  I got a pair and I did not like them at all.  Sure, there was great detail and clarity but I much prefer my Klipsch S4s.  My favorite IEMs that I own are the W3s though.  DBA is overrated just like the Panny's imo

There's a huge gap between 'prefer totally different sound signatures' and 'overrated'. From a technical standpoint the Klipsch S4 does a whole mess of things wrong...

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #42 of 57

you mean "wrong" since that is really subjective.  to my ears, at least, theres not much wrong with them.  i know probably 100% of people disagree with me but i love the way they sound. i was not blown away by the DBA 02s and when i first heard them i was like "this is it? this is what everyones been raving about?" 

Quote:
Quote:

There's a huge gap between 'prefer totally different sound signatures' and 'overrated'. From a technical standpoint the Klipsch S4 does a whole mess of things wrong...

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #43 of 57
Sound is EXTREMELY subjective.

Reading Joker's earphone reviews, his preferred sound sig. is analytical, without too much bass, and not being too warm. Clarity and accuracy is the main priority.

My preferred sound sig. is slanted towards something more bassy(not as heavy as the Eternas), slightly bright, and fun sound signature. Accuracy does not rank very high on my priority.

Everyone's preferred sound signature is different. For me, the M11+ comes closest to my preferred sound signature which i love while joker thinks it has too much bass. And the OP thinks that the M11+ has too little bass.

I really didnt like the Eternas because it has too much bass. But yet others love it.

If you give me the Soundmagic PL50 and the Meelec M9 and asked me which was better, i would choose the M9 because of the lack of bass on the PL50 but everything still points towards the PL50 being a much superior earphone though?

I think its ridiculous to call someone's sonic preference wrong. Thats like telling other people that their taste buds are wrong. Sound is a very personal and subjective thing.

This is all my opinion and thats my impression of what joker's preferred sound sig. is like. Not to start anything here but its just my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back