IEMs like AKG 70x?
Sep 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lostmage

100+ Head-Fier
What would be a good choice for IEMs around 200$ or less that sound close to the AKG Q701s that I have? I was looking at the BA Etymotics, and the Brainwavz B2, and maybe the UE Triple fi, but I was worried about the cable durability there. Would these be good picks?

I have V-moda M80s right now, but I was thinking about selling them since I'm not a huge fan of the sound (way too dark with the rolled off treble, I don't know what I was thinking when I got them) and they don't exactly fit my lifestyle as well as IEMs do.

Good isolation would be helpful, but I think all of the ones I listed are pretty good there

It'll be used on a iPod Touch/ Galaxy player with a Fiio E6 amp, which then runs to a crossfeed circuit. My music is pretty much all in MP3 320 or lossless.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 8
I would probably say a twfk based iem like the GR01, R-50, or DBA02 mkII. An etymotic might do the job as well. I found the GR01 to have better bass and i found it to be much more comfortable compared to the hf3/hf5. 

I must admit i have never heard the AKG 701's, but from what i have read about their sound one of these should be somewhat close. From what i have heard the TF10 will have more bass and have an overall V shapped signature.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I would probably say a twfk based iem like the GR01, R-50, or DBA02 mkII. An etymotic might do the job as well. I found the GR01 to have better bass and i found it to be much more comfortable compared to the hf3/hf5. 

I must admit i have never heard the AKG 701's, but from what i have read about their sound one of these should be somewhat close. From what i have heard the TF10 will have more bass and have an overall V shapped signature.

Thanks for the recommendations. May I ask, what exactly is a twfk based IEM? Is that any different from balanced armature? 

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 8
I actually found the sony ex-600 to sound very close if not a little bit more detailed to the k601s (ie k701). The ex600s have a very wide soundstage for an IEM which is what reminded me of the k601s in the first place. Unfortunately these do not isolate that well and my second jasonb's recommendation for a TWFK iem.

NB a TWFK iem is one that uses the knowles dual BA setup. These all come with a similar sound signature that for all intents and purpose sound like an extended version of the HF5s to me (more bass and treble extension). 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I actually found the sony ex-600 to sound very close if not a little bit more detailed to the k601s (ie k701). The ex600s have a very wide soundstage for an IEM which is what reminded me of the k601s in the first place. Unfortunately these do not isolate that well and my second jasonb's recommendation for a TWFK iem.

NB a TWFK iem is one that uses the knowles dual BA setup. These all come with a similar sound signature that for all intents and purpose sound like an extended version of the HF5s to me (more bass and treble extension). 

Ah, ok. I'm liking the looks of the GR01, but thats a bit out of budget, so I'm thinking the DBA02 / B2 might be a good choice since that follows the sound I'm looking for, and it's at a good price.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 8
The GR01 is $208 from lendmeurears ebay page. You listed $200 as your budget in your first post. I'm sure you can find an extra $8. Though if you want to spend less the Rockit Sounds R-50 is said to have the exact same sound signature of the GR01 and they are only $120. The accessory pack, and fit/cable is a lot different though. 

The DBA02 mkII is also a good TWFK option, but is said to sound a little more aggressive than the GR01/R-50. The GR01/R-50 are said to sound a tad smoother. Out of these choices, I've only heard the GR01, but I'd call the GR01 neutral, analytical, but smooth with just a tiny touch of warmth. The HF3/5 on the other hand I found to be cold in terms of sound and uncomfortable in terms of fit. I would agree that the GR01 is a more extended on both ends version of an hf3/5, and the GR01 is also waaaaay more comfortable. After getting used to the fit and after the tips softened up I can now wear them for hours and hours. I really think the GR01's are worth saving an extra $8 for.
Quote:
Ah, ok. I'm liking the looks of the GR01, but thats a bit out of budget, so I'm thinking the DBA02 / B2 might be a good choice since that follows the sound I'm looking for, and it's at a good price.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 8
You could always use BillMeLater. They will give anybody a $500 credit limit, and they usually have 6 months of no interest and no payments for financing options. I've used it a couple times for various things like car tires and headphones. 

If you can't wait to save up a few more bucks and don't mind the lesser accessory pack, and fit of the R-50's you could always go that route. http://rockitsounds.com/shop/product/?prod_id=16
Quote:
I saw that, and I suppose I should have put my budget as a bit lower, maybe like around 180. It's still close though, so I'm still considering it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back