IEM recommendation - what are the current favorites?
Aug 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
I second the CKM 500 and FXT90. Also, maybe check out the NuForce options. I know they don't get a lot of love here on head-fi but I've found they can really sing with my E6 and Nano gym rig.
Also Panasonic RPHJE355 for a budget option.

The NE700s are a good IEM for sure.  I can't say the same about 770 though.  I have yet to hear the 600s.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 21
@OP: what's your price range.

I believe he stated 70 bucks in his initial post.

Maybe a quick reread would confirm this for you?

Hope it helps, Jim

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 21
Thanks again everyone.  I'm blindly basing my decision on the mega-IEM comparison thread, and have decided to try the MEElectronics M21 after all.  They are available on Amazon, which means easy returns if they are "defective".  For $20.00, it's an inexpensive trial regardless of the results.

I'll try wearing my Atrios upside down, too, as a microphonics test.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

There are a few ares where microphonics generally occurs.  The main one is that the chords after the Y-split rub up and hit your face/skin.  This is the most amplified microphonics as there is little to resist the sound.  If you use a clip where it causes the cable to not touch your skin (it bubbles up in a way), then this will reduce most (if not all) microphonics.  This requires a sweet spot as going too far can cause the cables to hit each other, not enough and you don't stop your skin's contact.  The second area is below the Y-split where sound is amplified enough to get to your ears.  Generally speaking, a clip anywhere will reduce this as the Y-split will generally resist most of the sound.  

Exactly. I have used a shirt clip with about a half dozen different IEM's and it has always eliminated cable noise. Even on the CKM-500 which most people seem to think are very microphonic. I always take my IEM's with me on power walks and to the gym, and worn down with a shirt clip i never get any cable noise. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 21
Thanks again everyone.  I'm blindly basing my decision on the mega-IEM comparison thread, and have decided to try the MEElectronics M21 after all.  They are available on Amazon, which means easy returns if they are "defective".  For $20.00, it's an inexpensive trial regardless of the results.

I'll try wearing my Atrios upside down, too, as a microphonics test.

Congrats.

Please post back later and let us know how things turned out.

Thanks, Jim

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 21
Just got them yesterday and will try to burn them in a bit.  They definitely LOOK great (I got the blue ones).  Wearing them cord down with or without the shirt clip results in about the same amount of microphonics that I experience with the Atrios, so whatever.  Around the ear with the cord clamped around the back of my head really helps with the microphonics, but like I said, I'm not big on wearing them over the ear.

Listening with the stock tips made me wonder about the "bass heavy" reviews; it sounded pretty neutral to me.  Then I replaced the tips with the dual flange tips and it makes a big difference.  Not as bass heavy as the Atrios, which I like.  The dual flange tips seem to be a little uncomfortable, however.  Might need to try some replacement tips . . . down the rabbit hole I go!

I'll try to remember to post again after I have had a chance to listen to these more and compare them to the Atrios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back