IEM $100-$200
Jun 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Angels and Air

100+ Head-Fier
So I made the mistake of buying Beats Tours in January (I know...) and I'm looking to replace them.

I've been looking at the Shure SE215, Shure SE315, and the Klipsch S4i. I'm completely open to suggestions if they're in my price range but ideally I'd like it from $100-$150 but I can stretch out to $200 if the quality is significantly better.

I mainly listen to rock music and it's sub genres but the thing I care about most is clarity. A good amount of bass would be nice, but nothing overpowering.

If it helps, most of my albums are in Apple Lossless, and my source is my iPhone 4 with a Fiio L9 LOD and Fiio E6 Portable Amp.

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 27
I'd skip S4 if you're looking to spend $150. Look at IEM's like Triplefi 10, Vsonic GRO7, Yamaha EPH-100. They all offer excellent clarity for the price range you're looking for. Check them out, do some reading on them. They're IEM's that stay on top of the community forums here for most parts. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
I'd skip the S4 if you're looking to spend $150. Look at IEM's like Triplefi 10, Vsonic GRO7, Yamaha EPH-100. They all offer excellent clarity for the price range you're looking for. Check them out, do some reading on them. They're the IEM's that stay on top of the community forums here for most parts. 

Thanks, I'll do some research on them. But before I do, in your opinion, which is the best? I kinda want something that I can lean towards.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
Thanks, I'll do some research on them. But before I do, in your opinion, which is the best? I kinda want something that I can lean towards.

If I was to be isolated on a deserted island for a very long time. I would take my Yamaha EPH-100 with me.

Here's the thread on them to get you started.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/577712

And while I'm here I'll give you the triple-fi 10 and GRO7 threads.

TF10: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/309321/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-appreciation-thread

GRO7:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/552132

Take your time, don't start taking real notice until you get deeper into each thread. let initial hype pass. For example I find the first 10 - 20 pages are full of excitement but the truth starts coming out deeper inside about their potential. Once you narrow one down start using google to find site reviews. Yes....it is a journey. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 27
Vsonic GR07 and GR01, both excellent earphones.

Brainwavz B2 (Fischer Audio DBA-02), high, high, high on clarity and base quality, quantity may not be enough for some. 

The Vsonics are probably safer choices

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
Vsonic GR07 and GR01, both excellent earphones.

Brainwavz B2 (Fischer Audio DBA-02), high, high, high on clarity and base quality, quantity may not be enough for some. 

The Vsonics are probably safer choices

I'm very interested in the B2 actually, I recently missed a pair of DBA-02 going on ebay for $85. I was pretty upset I missed them. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 27
both earphones have small sounds ports, allowing them to go deeper in the ear. Plus, I use comply tips on both, so the isolation is about the same. 
For sound, I like the S4 signature better. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 27
I can't think of a better deal right now than the preorder of the new batch of B2. For $109.50 it's just a steal and when you subscribe for the mp4nation's newsletter you get 100 points which equals to $2, so you actually pay just $107.50 for the B2.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:
I can't think of a better deal right now than the preorder of the new batch of B2. For $109.50 it's just a steal and when you subscribe for the mp4nation's newsletter you get 100 points which equals to $2, so you actually pay just $107.50 for the B2.

This...
One of the best deals in a long time...

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 27
You have tons of options these days. There is the wonderfully well balanced, explosively dynamic and transparent Phonak Audeo PFE, there is the Future Sonics Atrio MG7 with their teeth rattling, but controlled low bass impact + very decent mids and highs, there is the warm, forward and engaging JVC FXT90 with its uncanny ability to combine great bass performance with excellent separation and realism in the midrange and treble and the list goes on. The more expensive Etymotic ER4 is also a great option if you want the tightest, most defined bass and the best detail and precision for the price and will be worth the extra money over the aforementioned IEMs if that's what you are looking for. And don't forget about Hifiman RE262 - an invitingly warm, delicate and lush sounding IEM that's really dynamic, full and engaging, although perhaps too polite and soft sounding for some more aggressive genres like metal and not quite boomy enough for some modern bass driven music. The dual driver B2/DBA-02 variety are also quite good, but personally I find them overly compressed in dynamic range and they are also a tad too bright in the highs I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back