IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
Jun 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #181 of 199

Quote:

Actually:

"In a recent conversation with Monster founder Noel Lee, I gleaned some insights into the key differences between the Miles Davis model and the similar but definitely not identical Turbine Pro Copper Editions. Despite the fact that the products share similar technology and overall appearance Noel Lee asserted that they do not sound exactly the same. By design, the Miles Davis Tribute model offers a subtle touch of midrange emphasis (intended, in a very subtle way, to complement classic jazz recording of the late ‘50’s and mid-‘60’s), whereas the Turbine Pro Copper Edition offers a more nearly textbook-flat (or neutral) frequency response curve."

Similar is not the same.  I personally believe the MD's and the Coppers do not use the same driver for 2 reasons:

1-The Coppers and MD's obviously have different impedance/sensitivity ratings based on my experience w/ the volume settings on my DAP required to drive each one to the same output level.  This could be a cable issue since they both use different cables from apearances until you consider the following.

2-The Copper driver is much quicker than the MD or Gold.  I actually think the MD is an optimized and tuned version of the Gold and the Coppers are a different driver altogether.  While you can do a lot to shape or tune a sound signature, you can not to my knowledge tune a single dynamic driver to be faster.  Changing the speed of a driver requires a physical change in the driver itself.

Just my hypothesis.  I also think the Coppers need to be referred to as 'balanced' rather than 'neutral' as some have said. 

Interesting analysis!

Did you see the thread on the new phonak filters? People are saying the sensitivity changed just based on the filter, while the driver is the same. Like you said, the cables seem a little different on the monster flavors, too.

I don't know that Noel's comments in that interview back up point number 2, though. Noel (we're on a first-name basis) seemed to be saying that the golds were an optimized and tuned version of the original turbines, with better build and cables.

I think it makes more sense that Monster would develop two drivers (turbine/mtpg and mtpc/md) rather than three (turbine, mtpg/md, mtpc), but I'm just making things up at this point. Not sure about the copper being faster, I only got to hear search's md for a short time, but it could be. Is the speed of a driver really something that can't be altered to give a little less speed? If Noel was saying the mtpgs are an optimized version of the original turbines, aren't the golds quicker than the originals?

Anyway, fun to think about.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #182 of 199
I have no idea about the regular vanilla turbines.  The Coppers are definitely much quicker than the MD's.  I love my MD's and would love to say otherwise but it simply wouldn't be true.  I AB'd them playing the quickest speedmetal song I have ever heard the MD's couldn't even play it, just a wall of noise.  The Coppers were actually able to keep up.  Not a problem for me since I would never have that song in my collection except as a SQ test song for speed.  As for filters, they do change sound a lot.  I often use my home and car speakers grilless for better extension and clarity.  This is not the case for the Monsters though.  The Golds, Coppers and MD's have exactly the same filters on each model if you check them out.

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #183 of 199
Thanks everyone, I think ill get the coppers.

I need something adaptable to all genres of music I listen to and from what I have read in your responses, I am afraid the MD while having "deeper, fuller, more present bass" will color the sound too much. Am I wrong? How MID-FORWARD are they exactly? I kind of like their styling more than the Copper. And is the response speed and bass quantity that much different in the two? Im asking because Im worried the bass will not go as low on the copper and the MD will not sound "correct" with my fast electronic music as its tuned for instrument based analogue sounds.
I am close to reaching a conclusion! Dont give up on me now!
Im still very much here and greatly appreciate everyones input and help. I wish there was a way to A/B the two!!!

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #184 of 199

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I think ill get the coppers.

I need something adaptable to all genres of music I listen to and from what I have read in your responses, I am afraid the MD while having "deeper, fuller, more present bass" will color the sound too much. Am I wrong? How MID-FORWARD are they exactly? I kind of like their styling more than the Copper. And is the response speed and bass quantity that much different in the two? Im asking because Im worried the bass will not go as low on the copper and the MD will not sound "correct" with my fast electronic music as its tuned for instrument based analogue sounds.
I am close to reaching a conclusion! Dont give up on me now!
Im still very much here and greatly appreciate everyones input and help. I wish there was a way to A/B the two!!!

The Coppers are for you.  The bass does go as low, it doesn't have the full texture, weight and decay of the MD's.  But you would only notice that on slower songs, not fast electronic.  The bass wont disappoint you in that genre.  The MD's presentation is great for genres where instruments are allowed to breath and you have the time to take their sound in.  I play metal, techno, electronic, etc just fine on the MD's.  The song that gave the MD's trouble was ridiculously fast, faster than any electronic stuff I have heard and that was the point of the test.  That bass texture also works better w/ the MD's on Rap, Hip/hop, R&B.  The Coppers were a little to dry and analytical in those genres for me.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #185 of 199
hmm... tried the copper/gold/miles davis today. comparing all 3 with my ie8, i realise that the bass response for these models are quite "clean". Other details doesnt really srack up thogh, it feels like the entire spectrum has been push forward, rather than the ie8 being the direct opposite. Cable wise, the ie8 wins them hands down. Fitting too. The most shocking part? miles davis costs a staggering 730 SGD. Thats really bs to me, cos the ie8 is only around 500, along side the copper and gold.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #186 of 199

Quote:
hmm... tried the copper/gold/miles davis today. comparing all 3 with my ie8, i realise that the bass response for these models are quite "clean". Other details doesnt really srack up thogh, it feels like the entire spectrum has been push forward, rather than the ie8 being the direct opposite. Cable wise, the ie8 wins them hands down. Fitting too. The most shocking part? miles davis costs a staggering 730 SGD. Thats really bs to me, cos the ie8 is only around 500, along side the copper and gold.

Heh. Be glad you ain't in Australia where the IE8 goes for around 570 AUD. lol.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #187 of 199

Quote:

Funny a lot of former IE8 users felt they were more veiled compared to the Coppers.  Sounds like another case of overinsertion.  Someone should make a sticky about how to wear Coppers, kinda tired of the rehash.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #189 of 199

Quote:
Funny a lot of former IE8 users felt they were more veiled compared to the Coppers.  Sounds like another case of overinsertion.  Someone should make a sticky about how to wear Coppers, kinda tired of the rehash.

Actually the same thing goes for the IE8. Insert them deeper and there is more emphasis in the mid-bass which creates that "veil". Tip choice and insertion depth can make a world of a difference with the IE8.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #190 of 199

Quote:
Actually the same thing goes for the IE8. Insert them deeper and there is more emphasis in the mid-bass which creates that "veil". Tip choice and insertion depth can make a world of a difference with the IE8.

I totally agree.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #191 of 199

Quote:

Interesting, first time I heard the IE8's were sensitive to insertion depth.  That explains some of the lack of consensus I've seen on the IE8 not unlike the Coppers.  

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #193 of 199
IE8 is definitely sensitive to tips, depth etc. Very easy to change sound aig and even soundstage size with the IE8. I played with these a lot an even in just 30 minutes of fiddling I got different kinds of sounds.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #195 of 199

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to this forums so yeah...

Have you guys tried the Etymotics ER4P, I'm trying to compare this with the MTPC or the gold version?

Thanks all

Yes, alot of us have tried ER4s.  Its not clear what you have or are looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back