iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #4,021 of 4,252
And I have found a computer to test the DAC with... oh my this yet another level can’t wait for the iFi audio OTG cable to come in sunday :D

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #4,022 of 4,252
The BL is part of my favorite desktop set up, which includes the iTubes2 and iDAC2. Might seem a bit redundant, but the trio is fabulous together. The BL is still my go-to "transportable" amp for driving harder-to-drive headphones as well. Really enjoy the sound signature.
I've moved to other DACs and AMPs but probably will never sell my BL.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #4,023 of 4,252
So I have gotten the iFi audio USB-C OTG cable for the Micro iDSD BL and... the DX120 refuses to play when plugged on the USB-C of the DX120 you try to play a track and it pauses right away... I tried rebooting the DX120 to no avail, I did turn on the Micro BL first.

What did I miss?

Note that the cable I got for the iPhone works flawlessly :)

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #4,024 of 4,252
So I have gotten the iFi audio USB-C OTG cable for the Micro iDSD BL and... the DX120 refuses to play when plugged on the USB-C of the DX120 you try to play a track and it pauses right away... I tried rebooting the DX120 to no avail, I did turn on the Micro BL first.

What did I miss?

Note that the cable I got for the iPhone works flawlessly :)
I can't find anything to support the idea that DX120 has USB out. It is not billed as having that feature.

A search found this post on the subject:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...fw-2-2-42-now-out.887809/page-7#post-14473495

Not encouraging. Couldn't find any follow-up but you could search some more.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #4,025 of 4,252
@technobear Thanks, but the manual says there is OTG support :

71113633-9E24-49A9-972E-B352D9D1331D.jpeg

So it should work... but doesn’t

Edit : Oops I didn’t read properly it says it supports OTG storage devices not an external DAC...

I tried it quickly as a transport with oppo HA2 usb dac and it worked OK, though output seems to be high and I had to keep HA2 at lower volume. Didn't work with micro iDSD BL, will try again later with another USB cable.

I had missed that post from @twister6 ... so I am not the only one with issues for the Micro BL... really too bad :frowning2:

And it’s not the cable, doesn’t work with the iFi Audio official OTG cable so I wouldn’t hope another one solves this...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #4,026 of 4,252

I had missed that post from @twister6 ... so I am not the only one with issues for the Micro BL... really too bad :frowning2:

And it’s not the cable, doesn’t work with the iFi Audio official OTG cable so I wouldn’t hope another one solves this...
Use a phone

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #4,027 of 4,252
Use a phone

Yeah I do have a cable and use my iPhone and works alright but storage is going to be an issue for DSD albums, even 256GB is going to be short...
Now fingers crossed that the Sony OTG cable works with the Micro BL...

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #4,028 of 4,252
Use a phone
True. I used it with my phone for about a year until I finally bought my first DAP. You can use it to charge your phone too. :)

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #4,029 of 4,252
True. I used it with my phone for about a year until I finally bought my first DAP. You can use it to charge your phone too. :)
You now using your DX200 , he is also using a iBasso dap.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4,030 of 4,252

Edit : Oops I didn’t read properly it says it supports OTG storage devices not an external DAC...

No where does it say that it does USB audio out... i think you would be in a better place if you try spdif out from dx120 to the BL...

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #4,031 of 4,252
No where does it say that it does USB audio out... i think you would be in a better place if you try spdif out from dx120 to the BL...

Well I did but other than it’s limited to 24/192 I have an issue the iBasso cable only gives me the left channel for some reason...

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,032 of 4,252
Well I did but other than it’s limited to 24/192 I have an issue the iBasso cable only gives me the left channel for some reason...
You're doing it wrong. That is virtually impossible with spdif. Sounds like you had a mono analogue link there. What cable did you use and which ports did you plug it into?

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,033 of 4,252
You're doing it wrong. That is virtually impossible with spdif. Sounds like you had a mono analogue link there. What cable did you use and which ports did you plug it into?

It’s the coaxial cable provided by iBasso, and I plugged it into the SPDIF port... I am not at home but I’ll post a pic...

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4,034 of 4,252
It’s the coaxial cable provided by iBasso, and I plugged it into the SPDIF port... I am not at home but I’ll post a pic...
OK, I can see that the coax output has its own socket on DX120 and iDSD has an RCA dedicated to coax so provided you are using these two sockets, there is something seriously amiss with the hardware. You see with spdif there is only one signal which encodes both left and right channels so for one channel to be missing implies a hardware fault in the DX120 whereby one channel is not being encoded or there is a hardware fault in the iDSD whereby one channel is being lost on its way to the DAC chip. Somehow you need to eliminate one or the other.

Do you have anything else with a coax input? An integrated amp or receiver perhaps?

Conversely do you have anything else with a coax output? A CD player or DVD player perhaps?

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #4,035 of 4,252
OK, I can see that the coax output has its own socket on DX120 and iDSD has an RCA dedicated to coax so provided you are using these two sockets, there is something seriously amiss with the hardware. You see with spdif there is only one signal which encodes both left and right channels so for one channel to be missing implies a hardware fault in the DX120 whereby one channel is not being encoded or there is a hardware fault in the iDSD whereby one channel is being lost on its way to the DAC chip. Somehow you need to eliminate one or the other. Do you have anything else with a coax input? An integrated amp or receiver perhaps? Conversely do you have anything else with a coax output? A CD player or DVD player perhaps?

Ok I get why this puzzle you, I thought it was the cable or maybe I did wrong somewhere in the switches... I’ll try to change the filter switch maybe?

Yes there is a socket on the DX120 and a dedicated RCA on the Micro BL... Micro BL is fine everything else is working now that I have the OTG cable for the iPhone I have checked that the DAC is alright. Puzzled...

No I don’t have other gear I can test with the coaxial... don’t sweat it I am expecting an OTG for the 1Z so I’ll be set with USB. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back