iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #961 of 1,604
hey can anyone confirm something for me. when you plug in a optical cable to the ibasso db2, is it supposed to light up red? i plugged my sys-concepts custom cable in and get nothing no light or anything. am i doing something wrong? or am i only supposed to  get the optical light from the dap?

edit nevermind.

but for reference if you are using a iriver ihp-120-140 go to settings>controls>optical out>yes/no?>yes and your optical output is now on.

pardon me, i have just gone from a ipod touch to the iriver which imo the iriver ihp-140 is much more control based vs the ipod where ipod is just plug and play really not alot of controls

on another note, i got most of my setup in, pb2>db2>sys-concepts custom optical cable>ibasso balanced cable>iriver ihp-140>westone w4r

i feel its pretty impressive although i am currently only using the stock cable vs my toxic silver poison per the toxic cable being terminated in rsa balanced. so i am going to have a ibasso balanced to rsa female cable made so i can use it with this setup.

however even with the stock cable, it sounds very good on first listen, its warm per the stock cable, i think once i get my toxic cable in the mix it will brighten up the sound a bit

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #962 of 1,604
That is a nice combination. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #963 of 1,604
I searched the forum for 10 mins because I know it's in there, just couldn't find it.

When using the DB2 with the external power supply do you leave the charge switch on or off?

I am assuming if the charging switch is on you get the 14V from the battery at the amp section and the charge is keeping the battery topped off.  Then if you set the switch to off, it bypasses the battery and you get 16v to the amp.

Did I get it right?

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #964 of 1,604
I searched the forum for 10 mins because I know it's in there, just couldn't find it.

When using the DB2 with the external power supply do you leave the charge switch on or off?

I am assuming if the charging switch is on you get the 14V from the battery at the amp section and the charge is keeping the battery topped off.  Then if you set the switch to off, it bypasses the battery and you get 16v to the amp.

Did I get it right?

For certainty just unplug the internal battery and try the on off switch with charge switch on and off also. I did this ages ago but can't remember the results doh!

I think that it may well take power from the external power pack no matter if in charge or off position....

Let us know what you find, I may even get mine out and test again.

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #965 of 1,604
I had the DB2 at one time and I still have the PB2.  I think they work the same in this regard...  

When the AC adapter is plugged in, the amp will operate at 16V whether or not you have also turned on the battery charger.  It's impossible for the amp to operate at less than 16V when the AC adapter is connected.

Hint:  Pay careful attention to how bright the front LED is when the amp is turned on, comparing the brightness when operating from the battery with no AC adapter attached vs. from the battery with the AC adapter attached and charger turned off.  A brighter LED indicates a higher operating voltage.  (This is true for a lot of portable amps.)

Then again, with the AC adapter attached, comparing charger turned off vs. charger turned on.   

I predict you will see only two degrees of brightness (bright and not so bright), where the brighter of the two happens whenever the AC adapter is plugged in, whether or not the charger is turned on, and the darker of the two when the AC adapter is not plugged in - when operating only on battery power.

Mike

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #968 of 1,604
Doesnt make muxh sense to buy a decently expensive dap not to use it as a media carring device. Because once you arent I using it for the dac or amp it really serves no purpose.

Im using the ihp-140 dap to fiber optic cable to db2 and then to pb2 thats a little dofferent as im using the dap for its fiber optic capabilites.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #969 of 1,604
Hi All,

First of all my setup.

AK100>ADL interconnect>PB2 (stock OP-AMPs and the dummy buffers)

I was wondering what recommendations you have for OPAMPs and Buffers.

The sound as I have it now is nice and clear etc, however I was wondering if there are better options (I am sure there are).
I want the amp to be as true to source as possible, however with nice bass extension/impact.

I currently have the gain set to high.

I did try the BUF643P WB but I wasn't fussed on the sound, not sure why, just didnt sit well.
In saying that, my amp is basically new so it will require some burn in no doubt.

Thanks in advance, I am new to this Op-Amp/Buffer business.

Scott

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #970 of 1,604
  Hi All,

First of all my setup.

AK100>ADL interconnect>PB2 (stock OP-AMPs and the dummy buffers)

I was wondering what recommendations you have for OPAMPs and Buffers.

The sound as I have it now is nice and clear etc, however I was wondering if there are better options (I am sure there are).
I want the amp to be as true to source as possible, however with nice bass extension/impact.

I currently have the gain set to high.

I did try the BUF643P WB but I wasn't fussed on the sound, not sure why, just didnt sit well.
In saying that, my amp is basically new so it will require some burn in no doubt.

Thanks in advance, I am new to this Op-Amp/Buffer business.

Scott

i think a exceptional opamp for L & R is LME49990  and buffers the HA5002.

To me the LME49990 is probably the top of the line opamp. i ALWAYS come back to it, no matter what other opamp i use. its so good. i was using it in the ibasso p4 warbler, im using it in the ibasso pb2 pelican. just a all around phenomenal opamp

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #971 of 1,604

To me the LME49990 is probably the top of the line opamp. i ALWAYS come back to it, no matter what other opamp i use. its so good. i was using it in the ibasso p4 warbler, im using it in the ibasso pb2 pelican. just a all around phenomenal opamp

These?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986338704

Are these a dual channel jobby or do I need 4?  Sorry, noob here and I couldnt find anything to say one way or the other.

What are the characteristics of this op-amp?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Scott

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #972 of 1,604

I agree. I been on the PB2 stock kit for many months and I just put the Top Kit back in now and it does sounds phenomenal. It didn't sound so good when I had the PB2 paired with the iPhone 4s but with the DX50 upstream it does make it a lot better

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #973 of 1,604

The topkit does sound good from this configuration

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #974 of 1,604
  These?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986338704

Are these a dual channel jobby or do I need 4?  Sorry, noob here and I couldnt find anything to say one way or the other.

What are the characteristics of this op-amp?

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Scott

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTERS-/190897296160?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2c725d9320

those are the singles, there are also doubles on the DIP8's

I would say its very transparent, some might say it has a extremely clean sound, some might say almost to the sterile point but to me overall its completely clean, mids are crisp, high are crisp, vocals are very clean. IMO you should try it out.  its pretty amazing opamps, many will agree.

there is a slight step down that isnt are sharp slightly rounder edges to the frequencies. thats the lme49860

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #975 of 1,604
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back