iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Oct 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #978 of 1,604
Choices, it is all about choices. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #979 of 1,604
Hi there,

I've recently purchased a pb2. Since I'm going to connect it single-ended to my dap, I wanted to know if I can output it balanced to my hd650s.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #980 of 1,604
Absolutely!   In fact, there are a lot of people (like me) who argue that even though balanced cables out of the amp (to the headphone) can provide audible benefits had with more power (with some amps, as with the PB2) and no cross-channel impedance fluctuations (suffered when left and right transducers are influencing each other via a shared ground), going balanced out of the DAC (to the amp) is only beneficial for long cable runs between the DAC and the amp, where common mode noise can become an issue and where there's a low signal-to-noise ratio with the lower voltage between DAC and amp, vs. the higher voltages between amp and headphones.

So, yes!  Feel free to supply your PB2 Pelican with a single-ended DAC, while using balanced cables out to your headphones.

biggrin.gif

Mike

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #981 of 1,604
Thank you so much Mike! I've been thinking for a while that I had bought a silver dragon balanced cable connecting my pb2 to the hd650 for nothing!! :):beer::)

The point is that I cannot go balanced from my digital audio player but WANT a balanced sound in my delicious hd650.

Warm regards! What a relief, mate...

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #987 of 1,604
Well what I meant is its not as portable as say a head stage arrow, jds labs c5, pico slim and the likes.

Personally I use my pb2 for home use so portable or not it doesn't matter to me.

I love the lme49990 opamps and the ha5002 buffers +10 gain/+20 balanced is how I rock mine.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #988 of 1,604
Personally I use my pb2 for home use so portable or not it doesn't matter to me.

That's really the point Mooses. When I see a bundle of four small bricks considered as portable... 
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #989 of 1,604
Well what I meant is its not as portable as say a head stage arrow, jds labs c5, pico slim and the likes.

I love the lme49990 opamps and the ha5002 buffers +10 gain/+20 balanced is how I rock mine.

I'm really OK with not you not thinking of your DB2/PB2 stack as "portable."   I want to defend your right to say this, so that I can defend my right to call my travel rig "portable."  
tongue.gif

And yes, the LME49990s with HA5002s are a great combination.  With more efficient phones, where you don't need the current gain of the buffers, but want a little more transparency, I like the LME4990s with dummy buffers.  

Enjoy!

Mike

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #990 of 1,604

I'm really OK with not you not thinking of your DB2/PB2 stack as "portable."   I want to defend your right to say this, so that I can defend my right to call my travel rig "portable."  
tongue.gif

And yes, the LME49990s with HA5002s are a great combination.  With more efficient phones, where you don't need the current gain of the buffers, but want a little more transparency, I like the LME4990s with dummy buffers.  

Enjoy!

Mike

hmmm i might have to give that a go. i have tried i would say a decent ammount of  opamps and buffers....and came to the conclusion that the lme49990 is bar none IMO, and the ha5002 the best buffer offering great current gain.....with the gain setting on high and that combo, you have a seriously powerful amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back