iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #5,192 of 14,593
How about Amp Ultimate ? Or Amp Endgame
1617207750428.png

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #5,193 of 14,593
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #5,194 of 14,593
If you cant hear distinct difference between R8 and dx300 on technical level. Just stick to dx300 for sure. You have a future of amp modules ahead with dx300. Which will reduce the difference further.
And yes, question of wether difference between dx300 and R8 is worth 600 bucks is there and real. But this is the case for all higher tier daps.
I think if you has this question bothering you, again dx300 is pretty good sweetspot of price/performance.

Regarding android implementation and ui speed and quality R8 is unmatched still. While speed wise i doubt you will see difference outside of benchmarks.
Hiby has done a massively good job to keep software polished and hick up free.
But, dx300 is newer product so with some time it will catch up. Besides its pretty good as is. Those two daps are as far as im aware way ahead of the rest of competition with their ui speed features and streaming capabilities.
The ibasso dx300 sounds better than my AK Sp1000M . I just wish they made it a little smaller .

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #5,196 of 14,593
Mqa requires an additional plugin to be purchased although I am not sure UAPP still fully supports dx300. I think it has only preliminary support and the full one is being worked on.
Are you sure it needs to be purchased? I'm still waiting for my dx300 to arrive next week, but I have an LG G7 that's MQA enabled and I didn't need to purchase it for MQA on uapp.

I'm looking forward to my DAP upgrade next week!

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #5,197 of 14,593
Are you sure it needs to be purchased? I'm still waiting for my dx300 to arrive next week, but I have an LG G7 that's MQA enabled and I didn't need to purchase it for MQA on uapp.

I'm looking forward to my DAP upgrade next week!
It's free on mqa enabld LG phones.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #5,199 of 14,593
Hey guys,

what is the situation with DX300 and portable DAC/amps on a stack? I remember reading posts in this thread about C9 (just amp) and Hugo2 on a stack and people seemed ecstatic with the results. Are the gains simply in power for driving HPs that require extra juice (therefore showcasing what those HPs can do when properly driven) or are there enhancements in sound quality (e.g. better staging, lows, etc.) with more amplification regardless of the monitors used (e.g. for easy-to-drive iems too)? Just asking, because it seems to me DX300 has enough juice in output voltage to drive iems no problem, so perhaps LO output to an external amp might not enhance SQ for stuff that are not that difficult to drive. Also, for a stack with external DAC-AMP, if digital output bypasses the DAC arrays in the DX300 (which seem a pretty high spec CS model), how much better should the DAC arrays in the external unit be to have SQ gains? Excuse my ignorance, I am new to this stuff.

If there are in fact palpable SQ gains to be found with either Amps or DAC/Amps (even for iems that are not hard to drive), has anybody got any recommendations for devices that are more affordable than C9 or Hugo 2 (e.g., has anybody tried the LessFox BX2 Plus)?

Thank you for your time.

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #5,200 of 14,593
If there are in fact palpable SQ gains to be found with either Amps or DAC/Amps (even for iems that are not hard to drive), has anybody got any recommendations for devices that are more affordable than C9 or Hugo 2 (e.g., has anybody tried the LessFox BX2 Plus)?
I bought my C9 for the sq improvement with utopia.

However, I've noticed a significant sq improvement on my ee zeus.

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #5,201 of 14,593
Hey guys,

what is the situation with DX300 and portable DAC/amps on a stack? I remember reading posts in this thread about C9 (just amp) and Hugo2 on a stack and people seemed ecstatic with the results. Are the gains simply in power for driving HPs that require extra juice (therefore showcasing what those HPs can do when properly driven) or are there enhancements in sound quality (e.g. better staging, lows, etc.) with more amplification regardless of the monitors used (e.g. for easy-to-drive iems too)? Just asking, because it seems to me DX300 has enough juice in output voltage to drive iems no problem, so perhaps LO output to an external amp might not enhance SQ for stuff that are not that difficult to drive. Also, for a stack with external DAC-AMP, if digital output bypasses the DAC arrays in the DX300 (which seem a pretty high spec CS model), how much better should the DAC arrays in the external unit be to have SQ gains? Excuse my ignorance, I am new to this stuff.

Thank you for your time.
No expert either but Imho you can very often scale DAP SQ with further gear, especially in terms of amping as DAPs are always a kind of compromise stuffing class-a components into tiny space and are also limited in terms of output power which can cause a bigger or smaller compromise in terms of e.g background blackness and driving power.
I d assume for the majority of headphones the power of DX300 is more than sufficient if you are not owning a special 500 Ohm Planar or so.

But when talking about portable components of course you can expect a 2k dedicated amp to scale further than the built in amp module of a 1200 bucks DAP (cannot afford that but others can comment).
What is also a factor not to be disregarded is
1. amp implemtation - C9 is a tube amp and will provide you tube tuning which is differing from solid state implementation
2. synergy of your headphones / IEMs with the amp section of either DX300 or C9, e.g. a very sensitive Andromeda will hiss on both DX300 and C9 whereas other IEMs will be fine.
Bright/ revealing IEMs/ cans might profit more from the lush wet DX300 and C9 tuning than yet darker tuned ones but everything is up to personal taste as always...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #5,203 of 14,593
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #5,204 of 14,593
does anybody ever have the issue of steaming in android and bang DAP just dies for no reason and you have to reboot ?.
If this is with an app, you may want to reload the app after deleting it.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #5,205 of 14,593
Hey guys I don’t know what’s going on but is the line out on the dx300 kind of poor?
I tried line out (3.5mm) for the first time on my 2 channel and couldn’t get appropriate volume. I put it in LO mode but I can’t see anywhere where you can change the voltage. Do I have to change the gain? Even so it doesn’t seem like it’s getting enough power. My kann alpha works beautifully for line out.
Surely I’m missing something here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back